air berlin Visa Credit Card - Germany

Old Nov 1, 16, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: air berlin
Lightbulb air berlin Visa Credit Card - Germany

Hi All

While looking for an easy way to get more miles while living in Europe, I came across the Visa co-branded credit card with air berlin.

I fly air berlin at least 3 times a year since it is one of the cheapest routes between Berlin, Germany (where I live) and my hometown of Paris, France. Plus they fly from TXL (close to my house!) instead of SFX. I've garnered a bit more than 10K points on my AB topbonus card so far with AB or Etihad flights.

The co-branded airline credit cards are slim pickings in Germany. It basically boils down to the M&M lufthansa card or the Visa AB card. Lufthansa not being based in Berlin is an obvious minus for me. I also considered French cards since I'm French, but there again there is ONLY the Air France AMEX, which really stinks in the experience of holders I talked to (low valued miles, AMEX accepted virtually nowhere in Europe, loss of status when redeeming etc.)

SO... this brings me to the air berlin Visa Card, see here

From what I could gather, the "Plus" card has a 89,90EUR sign-up fee and grants 1 points per 1 euro spent. There is no minimum spending, a sign-up bonus of 10K points and 2K extra points with referral. Then I could convert them to Etihad points for my goal of a 1st class trip for 2 to Korea.

What's the catch here? Do they try to milk people who sign up with hidden fees?

My German is not good enough to decypher the small print, any insight would be welcome. See the sample contract here

Also any good/bad experience from holders would be more than welcome

Thank youuu
Old Nov 2, 16, 1:13 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
I do not own this specific card, but I do own 2 german credit card (AMEX Gold + Hilton Visa). There is no catch really and no hidden fee as long as you pay the entirety of your bill every month, and do not use this for cash at an ATM. I have never paid yet a fee on my credit card.
BTW, AMEX acceptance is OK here, maybe even better than in France. Although the place where I live is special due to the large amount of american.
Old Nov 2, 16, 10:28 am

Programs: S7 Emerald, LH FTL, UA 1K, AR Platino
The card is a no brainer.

Last edited by 330; Nov 22, 16 at 7:02 am
Old Nov 17, 16, 8:53 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
you can neither transfer points from Topbonus to Etihad Guest nor book first class with Topbonus points.
Old Nov 18, 16, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 330 View Post
The card is a no brainer.

Hint: the card is perfect for manufactured spending!
Would you mind elaborating on the possibilities for this in Germany (or elsewhere in Europe)? As an expat living here it's a bit hard to get understand how everything works well enough to get into manufactured spending.
Old Nov 19, 16, 9:52 am

You trying to start a REVOLUTION?

Search this Thread