Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Niki airline charged me a 60 euro baggage fee from CDG - VIE - FCO

Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt

So..we missed our flight originally from CDG - MAD on BA metal (wouldn't have had to pay baggage b/c of award booking) mainly because i stupidly left all out cash in the safe at PH Vendome. We had to leave the airport and take a cab back to the hotel all of this took about 1hr. Flight missed. Bought tickets for 2 days ahead. Thought i was flying Airberlin, got to the airport and realized i was flying "Niki Air". They charged my 60 euros for ONE bag and the attendant had the nerve to ask if i want to check in the other bag. How could i have avoided this fee (other than missing the flight, of course).
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
How did you purchase the ticket? It should clearly show the operating airline (Niki) and baggage allowance during purchase. The website shows the extra baggage fees applicable.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
How did you purchase the ticket? It should clearly show the operating airline (Niki) and baggage allowance during purchase. The website shows the extra baggage fees applicable.
I used Orbtiz. I read that the first bag was free but apparently i was wrong. And you're right. I looked at the ticket. It says "operated by Niki airlines" in small print.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Membersince2013
I used Orbtiz. I read that the first bag was free but apparently i was wrong. And you're right. I looked at the ticket. It says "operated by Niki airlines" in small print.
In future I would suggest booking directly with the airline.

Generally booking through OTA's is no cheaper, and just adds extra confusion about things like baggage allowances and can cause issues in the case of changes/cancellations/refunds. What is the baggage allowance listed on your e-ticket?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
You should only use OTAs to:

1. Conveniently fidn the cheapest flight without having to go through every available airline's website
2. Book flights if and only if they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than when booking directly through the airline
3. Book some very complex itineraries which are difficult or impossible to book on an airlines website

Travelling 101 really. Now if your ticket shows '1pc' (one piece) baggage allowance yet you had to pay at the airport then you could file a complaint with orbitz as it would be their mistake. If it shows '0pc' or some other warning then it's completely your own fault sadly.

Also why did you fly to rome instead of madrid? Just out of curiosity
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
By the way I wouldnt be sure of free checked luggage with ANY airline nowadays, unless flying business class. Even the mainline carriers are starting to introduce fares without checked luggage.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

I checked the baggage policy. It says 15 - 35 euro for the first bag. I sent Orbitz a message.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
They charge more at the airport. For any extra luggage booked up to 30h in advance they charge 10-35€.

Second, Niki is a oneworld afiliate through airberlin. Are you a oneworld elite?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 330
They charge more at the airport. For any extra luggage booked up to 30h in advance they charge 10-35€.

Second, Niki is a oneworld afiliate through airberlin. Are you a oneworld elite?
Thanks for the information. I'm not a oneworld elite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.