Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Any OW Emeralds have any positive experiences on AB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any OW Emeralds have any positive experiences on AB?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was posted on BA forum but as it is about AB, I have moved it here and changed the title to cover OW Emeralds rather than just BA Golds.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Headingwest, you may have got into the exclusive waiting area at TXL on your ticket type, but OWE is not supposed to get you access at TXL.
Nope, it was a cheap 'Z' fare booking. In fact I always book the cheapest fares and I've also been in the 'exclusive waiting area' in VIE about 3 times now with OWS and then OWE status.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
This thread was posted on BA forum but as it is about AB, I have moved it here and changed the title to cover OW Emeralds rather than just BA Golds.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Do we really need to move anything that is not 100% BA related to other fora? This was mostly useful to BA Golds so I didn't have an issue with it being posted in the BA forum and actually thought it was very helpful information for me as a BA Gold based where I am based.

I have an impression that moderators have recently been "hunting" for anything that is even marginally OT and moving to places where these threads will never see daylight again...
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by headingwest
Nope, it was a cheap 'Z' fare booking. In fact I always book the cheapest fares and I've also been in the 'exclusive waiting area' in VIE about 3 times now with OWS and then OWE status.
The exclusive waiting area rules do seem to vary by airport
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mec72
Do we really need to move anything that is not 100% BA related to other fora? This was mostly useful to BA Golds so I didn't have an issue with it being posted in the BA forum and actually thought it was very helpful information for me as a BA Gold based where I am based.

I have an impression that moderators have recently been "hunting" for anything that is even marginally OT and moving to places where these threads will never see daylight again...
It's not unreasonable to discuss AB in the AB forum, or for someone seeking advice/experience on AB to look in the AB forum.

It certainly makes more sense than maintaining a separate "advice for [oneworld status member level] on AB" in each other oneworld airline's forum.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Exklusive waiting areas are no lounges. I prefer real lounges instead.
I have a AB Gold card to access those, but only in airports where the lounge situation ist sub-optimal: MUC (long walks), CGN (no lounge).

In TXL you have the choice between the AF and BA Lounge. All gates are only a short walk and all lounges are landside (blame the airport).

You get fast track, prio-boarding, extra and prio luggage.

Seat reservations: You have to call AB, but it always worked.

Greetings on board and extra perks: Very rare, even for their own status members.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
I use AB over BA now with intra-Europe flights but still credit my BAEC account with avios and TP.
Always had assigned seating, complimentary sustenance and I find the service to be more reliable.
The above DOES NOT apply for the subsidiary Nikki
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
I called to try to get seats (VIE-DUS-LAX and return) and was told that only middle and aisle seats can be allocated for OWE members. Is this a new policy? This has never come up before, as recently as last month.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
I called to try to get seats (VIE-DUS-LAX and return) and was told that only middle and aisle seats can be allocated for OWE members. Is this a new policy? This has never come up before, as recently as last month.

Have you considered asking AB for a status match? They often accept BAEC status without question and with enough AB status you can book all seats including XL (usually extra ŁŁŁ on top of ordinary seats) for no charge.

CB
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by cbyrne92
Have you considered asking AB for a status match? They often accept BAEC status without question and with enough AB status you can book all seats including XL (usually extra ŁŁŁ on top of ordinary seats) for no charge.

CB
I am AA EXP, do you think they would do the same. I fly AB/HG a lot.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:54 pm

Yeah, they would probably match you. Check the forum (I don't remember it off the top of my head) for the e-mail to request a match.

also check statusmatcher.com for comparing to others that may have had experiences with matching from AA.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Before arriving at the airport, thought AB was bad (seat selection sucks)

At airport:
- got best XL seat on plane
- seat next to me empty, all other XL seats occupied
- glass of business class champagne before departure
- business class wine during flight

Love AB!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by cbyrne92
I use AB over BA now with intra-Europe flights but still credit my BAEC account with avios and TP.
Always had assigned seating, complimentary sustenance and I find the service to be more reliable.
The above DOES NOT apply for the subsidiary Nikki
As BA SCH/OWS last year ZRH-VIE-ZRH I got assigned seating on Niki in row 2 with a blocked middle seat, priority security, access for me and a guest into the exclusive waiting area, priority boarding with very few other pax, and priority luggage that actually worked. I did have to use the Qatar site to assign the seats though, and I don't think this works any longer.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure what the moan is about. You get seat selection, priority boarding and check in, lounge access, extra luggage. What more do you expect on a short European flight? Admittedly, their website is complete rubbish and their call centres not great, but desk staff have been fine in my experience. I just came off a long haul from the US to DUS a few days ago and my shoulders are still aching from the doll-sized coffins in their business class (won't that that on an overnight again) but otherwise a decent (soon to be Eurowings) option.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I am OWE, but I did not use my number for my AB bookings. I have had nothing but great experiences flying AB so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.