Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Air Berlin --> AA Conection / Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL

Dear fellow Flyertalkers,

I'm thinking about connecting from AB to an AA international flight at Miami in February, but would of course prefer a short connection. I have Global Entry, so I'm not afraid of having to go through immigration, but I'm wondering whether I will have to re-check my bag. I understand that, in principle, MIA offers ITI luggage, i.e. bags can be checked through from an international to another international destination (without reclaiming the bag), but I'm wondering whether this is true for AB/AA interline transfers as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Arnur
Dear fellow Flyertalkers,

I'm thinking about connecting from AB to an AA international flight at Miami in February, but would of course prefer a short connection. I have Global Entry, so I'm not afraid of having to go through immigration, but I'm wondering whether I will have to re-check my bag. I understand that, in principle, MIA offers ITI luggage, i.e. bags can be checked through from an international to another international destination (without reclaiming the bag), but I'm wondering whether this is true for AB/AA interline transfers as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I'm pretty convinced this is the procedure:

- bags tagged in Germany by AB through to your final destination
- on arrival at MIA, you have to pick your luggage up off the carousel, go through customs and then place it on the re-check belt (usually just past customs in US)
- you go to the gate for your AA flight - which IIRC will be from a different terminal at MIA, meaning you also have to re-clear security.

You may even have to lug the bags from the AB terminal to the AA terminal yourself. I had to last time, going in the opposite direction and to make it even worse the AB check-in desks were not manned at that time of day, so I had to sit landise for a couple of hours rather than proceeding through to the lounge!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

I'll be surprised if AB participates in ITI
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You have to take your bags through customs at point of entry in the US

You will have to collect your bags, go through customs, then drop your bag off again at a dedicated belt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.