Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Anybody else avoiding the dreaded AB/HG 'Z' fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

As a British Airways Executive Club member I've always found airberlin and NIKI flights very appealing as I could earn Tier Points to help with my BAEC status.

However, since airberlin decided to resurrect the 'JustFly' fare I've been avoiding AB/HG flights like the plague! Surely they're losing a fair few customers with this, aren't they?

It seems that a lot of the really tempting cheap flights now get booked into 'Z' fare, which with BAEC earn absolutely nothing - no Tier Points, no Avios. So, it's all become a bit of a minefield for those of us who need a few extra points to maintain our status.

Has anybody else been avoiding this fare?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Yes, good fare to avoid. Z = zilch on AB!

I have actually done a couple this year including TXL-FNC, which would even have been a 35TP route in Y.

Not particularly concerned since, at the end of the day the fares are actually dirt cheap and status still gets recognised at the airport and on the plane.

Also I am in the happy situation that I have already re-qualified for Gold through a couple of long-hauls and an upcoming HNL trip at the end of the year, so I don't actually have to worry about TPs.

Always best to cross-check the fare bucket on ITA, beacuse the AB web-booking site doesn't reveal the fare bucket!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:21 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
I like the fare very much, because it gives me the cheapest travel option while still being able to enjoy all the status benefits. Status yes or no is decided in premium fares on long haul flights and rarely depends on some intra-european flights.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:42 am

fly deal also comes under this Z class
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Well it is true that you still get all the oneworld benefits whilst travelling on the 'Z' fare, but it used to be much simpler because you knew that booking with AB/HG would always earn a few Tier Points/Avios as well.

As I shall move to BA Gold status over the next few weeks I'm not so bothered about the TPs but I still think it's a shame that the website doesn't show which fare you're booking into (although the app does).
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
By all the oneworld benefits, am I correct to assume this include free advanced seating (XL seats?) and free checked baggage? I am oneworld Emerald/AA EXP.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:41 pm

Even fly classic goes to Z class fare!!!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
By all the oneworld benefits, am I correct to assume this include free advanced seating (XL seats?) and free checked baggage? I am oneworld Emerald/AA EXP.
Yes, that is correct, even on these cheap 'Z' fares you'll still get all the oneworld benefits. To select seats online isn't possible as their website is very flaky. You'll have to send a message via their webform or phone them up.

Some Emeralds have even reported getting the gourmet meal upgrade, but you'd have to ask about that if you phone up.

Originally Posted by tboons
That's quite shocking!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:28 am

Yes. Tried to price it using the the app and I realised that it's all z fares except flyflexi.

I think I would just shave the money since I am a OWS.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold
Agree, this is disappointing as I just realized I’m also booked in “Z“. As this is only a short hop I would anyway only get 5 TPs and some 125 Avios, so not that big of a deal. And on the bright side and as mentioned already, happy to still receive OW benefits such as lounge and seat selection.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
I just found out the hard way

But tier points indeed mainly come from long haul for me too...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:33 pm

Have a couple of short segment on AB and would have got me some nice tier points on QR programme. Marginal price difference.

What is OWS benefit on AB? Any special service on board like XL seats and basic beverage or only additional baggage?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:34 am

Have a couple of short segment on AB and would have got me some nice tier points on QR programme. Marginal price difference.

What is OWS benefit on AB? Any special service on board like XL seats and basic beverage or only additional baggage?
As OWS, I used to find myself in an exit row even without a request when OLCI opened. Now those XL seats seem off limits without paying, as seem all non-mandatory OW benefits. The priority baggage when travelling in Y (which is a standard benefit except with BA) is nice though and usually works. Basic drinks and snacks complimentary for everyone, didn't notice any special perks there.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
The priority baggage when travelling in Y (which is a standard benefit except with BA) is nice though and usually works.
Of course, less than 3 hours after posting this, my priority tagged suitcase comes out as one of the last ones at FRA ;-)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

oneworld Sapphire status members receive extra baggage allowance, priority seating (usually rows 1-5 on European flights) with the next seat held free when possible. The usual lounge access and priority boarding, and I believe you can also have XL seats free of charge, although I've never bothered as I like to be at the front!

oneworld Emeralds get all of the above, plus some people have reported getting the gourmet meals for free (I'm going to try for that when I get BA Gold status!).

To be honest, AB/HG flights for status passengers are excellent value, as it's effectively like British Airways Club Europe, albeit without the fancy meal. They usually serve a sandwich and drinks (sometimes twice with the drinks) but non-alcoholic only for free.

http://www.airberlin.com/en-GB/site/...=gold&onecard=

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.