FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   How to pick seats with Oneworld Airberlin Reward Booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1653097-how-pick-seats-oneworld-airberlin-reward-booking.html)

cop35758 Feb 7, 2015 3:15 pm

How to pick seats with Oneworld Airberlin Reward Booking

Hey guys,

I was wanting to find out how to pick seats for my flight in August. I booked the flight through British Airway's website with OneWorld reward points. This is for my honeymoon so I want to make sure I'm sitting next to my soon to be wife.

Thanks!

gnargel Feb 7, 2015 3:51 pm

Call Air Berlin or do it online at qatarairways.com using your Air Berlin record locator.

Congrats!

cop35758 Feb 7, 2015 10:03 pm

Will there be a opportunity to upgrade seats for a fee?

seawolf Feb 8, 2015 5:32 pm

How to pick seats with Oneworld Airberlin Reward Booking

They do paid upgrade to business at checkin. Not cheap.

kmia Feb 10, 2015 6:29 am

I have a question I have a MIA-DUS-MAD award ticket from AA and I selected my seats on Royal Jordanian. Let's say I pick one of the XL seats, will i get it for sure if it says confirmed? Thanks for any replies

seawolf Feb 10, 2015 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by kmia (Post 24323447)
I have a question I have a MIA-DUS-MAD award ticket from AA and I selected my seats on Royal Jordanian. Let's say I pick one of the XL seats, will i get it for sure if it says confirmed? Thanks for any replies

IME, an XL (exit row) is blocked and even if for some reason it does confirm, at check-in, the agent will do a check to see if a fee has bee paid. If you have OW status, they may let it slide. YMMV

At JFK, they will attempt to charge even if not assigned. At DUS, agent spoke with supervisor and they let it go after seeing I was OWS.

On board, crew will have a list of which seats are assigned/not. That's also another opportunity to charge as well. If at check-in, there is any empty adjacent seat on non-XL row, I rather take that.

cop35758 Feb 11, 2015 10:02 am

So do I need to wait till I check in at the airport to try to obtain a exit row seat?

How much is a upgrade to the exit row if I pay it?

irishguy28 Feb 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by cop35758 (Post 24331427)
So do I need to wait till I check in at the airport to try to obtain a exit row seat?

How much is a upgrade to the exit row if I pay it?

An exit row isn't really an upgrade - you remain in the same cabin/class of service, you're just paying an additional fee for a seat that some consider (slightly) better.

You should be able to pay for these seats now, on the airberlin website, using the PNR that you obtained from BA.

Waiting until checkin opens means that anyone else travelling on your flights may log in between now, and OLCI opening, and buy these seats. There is no guarantee any such seats will still be available if you wait until so late to claim one.

Good luck!

cop35758 Feb 12, 2015 10:02 am

If I select a regular seat on qatarairways website, is that seat guaranteed or do I have to pay the $30 per seat to guarantee my seats?

seawolf Feb 12, 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by cop35758 (Post 24338990)
If I select a regular seat on qatarairways website, is that seat guaranteed or do I have to pay the $30 per seat to guarantee my seats?

If it is non-XL, chances are you will keep your seat without fee.

cop35758 Feb 18, 2015 9:49 am

This is a honeymoon flight so I guess I just better pony up and pay if I don't want to gamble with "chance".

Bikeguy Feb 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Just returned from a trip to Italy from ORD on an AA award. As it was 5 people, there was no way I was going to pay per segment per person to get seats.

On the overwater in a 330, we were assigned the window and aisle, and then 3 in the center both times. So, 5 in a row. However, at check in I asked if we could move the 2 center seat people to another window and aisle seat and both times received those seats.

Looking over the agents shoulder at check in, airberlin was filling up the plane from the front and the rear, with the center sections wide open. So, those were the seats we were given.

Resulting configuration was window and aisle, then the window and aisle right behind, and the aisle directly across from one of the window aisle seats.

For the shorter hops, we had 5 in a row or 4 in a row on the prop plane with the lone person in the row before.

I was happy with airberlin overall and would recommend them.

stevehuff Feb 25, 2015 6:40 am

Thanks for this post and the tips. I have an American/Oneworld award using AB for ZRH-TXL and TXL-ORD, and was disappointed to learn seat assignments must be purchased. Nice to go through the Qatar site to confirm seats, and hopefully there won't be a charge.

mmthomas44 Feb 26, 2015 8:53 am

Originally Posted by stevehuff (Post 24411847)
Nice to go through the Qatar site to confirm seats, and hopefully there won't be a charge.

Does AB charge at checkin for seats reserved in advance but not paid?

AA booking award is X fare category. Which AB named fare category is X?

seawolf Feb 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by mmthomas44 (Post 24418899)
Does AB charge at checkin for seats reserved in advance but not paid?

No unless the seat assigned is XL.

At checkin what are they really going to do if you refuse to pay? Unassign the seat and then assign it back to you? :)