Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB: 70 000 Topbonus miles for 349,- Eur

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Hi all,
I found this offer on Fly Niki web site(http://www.flyniki.com/de-AT/niki/la...e=citytourpass).
When you buy City tour pass which includes 4 one way tickets within Europe, you recieve 70 000 Topbonus miles to your Topbonus account.
Is it worth it? Is there any C-class for 70 000 miles from Europe worth this?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is more of an airline FFP bonus than a Mileage Run I've relocated the thread to the Air Berlin forum.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:27 am

I've looked at it and the answer is no!
First of all, I think you can use the miles freely only after the CityPass period is over, i.e. Sept 30.
The C class flights that require the least miles are the ones on AB or HG metal. Problem is, HG does not have any C class yet (will start in November on VIE-AUH-VIE, not bookalbe yet) and AB uses its metal with C class only on flights to the US, AUH and Phuket. For US you need 40k miles for C class one way, for AUH even 45k. That means that unless you have 10k or 20k miles on topbonus, the 70k miles are worthless for C class travel at the moment. However, they expire in 3 years, so you could try to save up those 10k. If you have the 10k already, you could get a C class return ticket between Europe and US on AB metal for round 750€
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
This looks to be a heavily restricted offer where the miles evaporate after 30 September and can only be redeemed for certain flights. Nothing I'd buy.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by TProphet
This looks to be a heavily restricted offer where the miles evaporate after 30 September and can only be redeemed for certain flights. Nothing I'd buy.
Hi TProphet,
I think you are wrong. Section 5.5 of Terms and Conditions states:
"Gleichwohl werden in allen Fällen gewöhnlich ersparte Aufwendungen und gewöhnlich mögliche anderweitige Verwendungen berücksichtigt. Die Meilen können jedoch nach Ablauf des Aktionszeitraums als normale topbonus Meilen zu den regulären Konditionen bis zu drei Jahre nach Gutschriftzeitpunkt eingelöst werden."

It states that they will accept it if you use the miles otherwise and that after the CityPass period is over, the miles will become regular topbonus premium miles and expire after 3 years!

Cheers!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: lh sen
Do you need an account with a bank in Austria? Payment by credit card does not work.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Timely thread - I'm about to join Topbonus to collect 25k worth of miles on a trip with EY. This would provide a handy top-up to make the account more useable.

Does anyone hold any grave reservations about this 70k miles landing in my account eg. do I have to use the tour pass in any way for the miles to accrue? Or do I simply pay the fee and sit back and wait until September for the miles to appear?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by LostAntipod
Does anyone hold any grave reservations about this 70k miles landing in my account eg. do I have to use the tour pass in any way for the miles to accrue? Or do I simply pay the fee and sit back and wait until September for the miles to appear?
As far as I understood section 5.5, you don't have to use them. They expire after 3 years.

You can write them or call their call Center if you want a qualified answer.

EDIT: for clarification: you get the miles right after they receive your payment. As I understood section 5.5 you can use them right away, but don't have to. They expire after 3 years. Cheers

Last edited by TonySmoke; Jul 3, 2014 at 7:51 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:22 am

ok, now I'm not sure anymore..

Last edited by YuropFlyer; Jul 3, 2014 at 5:24 am Reason: not sure anymore
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:12 am

What are the (estimated) fees for flying to the USA in business class?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian
What are the (estimated) fees for flying to the USA in business class?
As I wrote above you should be able to get a Europe to US round trip C class ticket for a total of 750€. As the CityPass is 350€, the remaining 400€ are fees

You can check it yourself if you are registered at topbonus. Simply start the premium ticket booking process and after you select your destination and dates, given availability you should see the accrued fees.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:14 pm
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
At first glance, section 5.5 seems contradictory. But it differentiates between Citytourpass, which is only valid for the indicated times, and the miles which come with it and can be used as regular miles in the program. But seriously, did they think this through? 70,000 miles for 349 Euros? At about half a cent per mile, that almost seems too good to be true. And bear in mind that these can also be redeemed for flights in F. Is there a limit for the number of passes that you can buy? I don't see one...
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Topbonus: Gold, HHonors: Gold
Originally Posted by txl
And bear in mind that these can also be redeemed for flights in F.
AFAIK, it's not possible to redeem topbonus miles for F awards. Moreover, availability of C awards is not so good as I could see from their online tool.

Originally Posted by txl
Is there a limit for the number of passes that you can buy? I don't see one...
Yes, it's limited to one. Point 2, last sentence:

Ein Kunde darf innerhalb des Aktionszeitraumes nicht mehr als einen Citytourpass erwerben.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by txl
But seriously, did they think this through? 70,000 miles for 349 Euros? At about half a cent per mile, that almost seems too good to be true. And bear in mind that these can also be redeemed for flights in F. Is there a limit for the number of passes that you can buy? I don't see one...
I think they thought it thru pretty well. With 70k miles you can do virtually nothing! Buying Y class tickets with taxes excluded you come to the same price or even a higher one than buying it using cash only which in addition would earn you miles.
For the cheapest C class ticket you need at least 10k additional miles, and as it was already said, the availability is somehow limited (e.g. march 2015 was still good as I checked a few days ago)
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
Do these miles show up as status miles, or just program miles?

It is not a bad deal, but also not exceptional. Essentially you get the equivalent of an all-in Y round-trip on the routes listed for 175euro until Sept 30, and if you don't use the miles then they do not disappear. That prices makes sense on some routes, assuming availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.