Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB: 70 000 Topbonus miles for 349,- Eur

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AB: 70 000 Topbonus miles for 349,- Eur

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by TonySmoke
I would ask them to call you for your CC details. Sending CC details per email is not safe.
thanks, good idea :-)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:39 am

I've had cases where companies who would usually only deal with domestic credit cards have asked me to send them a picture of my credit card and ID card to verify. I always blocked the number of the CC but the last 4 digits when sending them, which was fine. Seems imho at the moment, more CC scam than usual is ongoing.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Madli
For all who wants to buy, you dont need to have german bank account. Im from Slovakia, and Niki requested my credit card details after I sent them filled form. So I think it could be used world wide. I plan to use it for C-class to US.
What about a Swiss bank I wonder? I'm really going to shoot myself in the foot here! I did not think cc payments were possible...although that would certainly be the most convenient.

About the future of airberlin, I feel a bit more reassured now that Etihad have their fingers (or wings) in the pie. I don't think they'll let one of their European babies go belly up....yet.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
... Seems imho at the moment, more CC scam than usual is ongoing.
Just to answer this, I have completed my last round of travels (Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong, Peking) without using a credit (apart from prebooked airline tickets and hotels). In each case I managed to calculate the cash that I needed perfectly, which was pretty good going! I also feel credit cards are a bit risky at the mo....
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Just to answer this, I have completed my last round of travels (Abu Dhabi, Hong Kong, Peking) without using a credit (apart from prebooked airline tickets and hotels). In each case I managed to calculate the cash that I needed perfectly, which was pretty good going! I also feel credit cards are a bit risky at the mo....
I don't think using credit cards are more risky than usual, just that many business have increased the security levels a bit, and flagging more usage as suspicious in the past.

But actually, my usage of credit cards in restaurants has declined as well, since more and more restaurants will charge you extra for using credit cards.. (really depends on the country, but I've seen this coming up more and more)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

I sent my credit card details via email yesterday, today Niki charged my card. I dont think that fax or phone are more safe. If the employe from Niki wants to steal your money, they will do it anyway
Miles should be on my account hopefully in 2 days.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:42 am

are there any sweet spots with AB redemptions apart from flights from AUH (in terms of no or less YQ)?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I filled out the form yesterday by hand (having printed it), scanned it and emailed it back to NIKI as an attachment. Do you get any form of acknowledgement, or do the miles simply turn up on your account? I expect it takes a day or two to process, depending how busy they are, but time is getting slightly short now. Anyone got a phone number for calling NIKI?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:52 pm

hi,

first thing they do before transfer of miles to your topbonus account is charging your bank account with 349 EUR. Unfortunately, it seems to be possible only when this account is in German or Austrian Bank. If there's any problem with your payment (like it was in my case, as my bank account is in Polish bank), you should receive an e-mail within 1 - 3 days with information about such problem. If you don't have a bank account in Germany or Austria, the only form of payment seems to be credit card and they'll ask for details of your card in above mentioned e-mail. Following suggestion of TonySmoke, I gave details of my card by phone.

Best regards, Bartek
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
I'm trying to decide if this is worth buying for a US-based person. I checked some dates on JFK-DUS and taxes + fees are about $1100 in C. Add 349 EUR to this, the total cost would be about $1600. Not exactly inexpensive, even for a business class seat.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA executive plat, Turkish Airlines Gold , Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by tropikey
hi,

first thing they do before transfer of miles to your topbonus account is charging your bank account with 349 EUR. Unfortunately, it seems to be possible only when this account is in German or Austrian Bank. If there's any problem with your payment (like it was in my case, as my bank account is in Polish bank), you should receive an e-mail within 1 - 3 days with information about such problem. If you don't have a bank account in Germany or Austria, the only form of payment seems to be credit card and they'll ask for details of your card in above mentioned e-mail. Following suggestion of TonySmoke, I gave details of my card by phone.

Best regards, Bartek
I can confirm bank transfer from Dutch bank account also works, as long as you use your IBAN account number with a correct BIC code
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by vip66
I'm trying to decide if this is worth buying for a US-based person. I checked some dates on JFK-DUS and taxes + fees are about $1100 in C. Add 349 EUR to this, the total cost would be about $1600. Not exactly inexpensive, even for a business class seat.

Any thoughts?
1100$ fee and taxes?? wow!
i was thinking the same but did not find any C to SFO,is there a AB route to SFO?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Madli
I sent my credit card details via email yesterday, today Niki charged my card. I dont think that fax or phone are more safe. If the employe from Niki wants to steal your money, they will do it anyway
Miles should be on my account hopefully in 2 days.
That is so sweet and naive to think that the only danger of misuse of CC details comes from AB employees. An unencrypted email is basically as safe as sending a postcard. Anyone tapping your computer, your email server or any data connection between your PC and the PC at AB Office could easily retrieve your CC information. Of course, there needs to be someone tapping the connection, but if there is someone (chances are low but still), you made them very happy using an non encrypted media to send vulnerable information.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by herrprofessor
i was thinking the same but did not find any C to SFO,is there a AB route to SFO?
Here: > link <
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems to be better to use British Airways Avios (if you have any) for transatlantic Air Berlin redemptions, because there are very few taxes and surcharges on them. Surely the Air Berlin taxes can't be quite so high?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.