35 Min connection at TXL?

Old Mar 26, 14, 7:48 am
Original Poster

35 Min connection at TXL?

Arriving from ARN on AB and connecting to VIE 35 minutes later should be doable? It looks like most of the flights are in Terminal C, but sometimes from A...
If on a redemption ticket bought via BA on AB/Nikki metal, AB still will have to move me to the next VIE flight should I not make the connection, correct?
Old Mar 26, 14, 1:58 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Platinum, LH M&M Silver, SPG/Marriott Platinum Elite, GHA Black
yes, I would go for it. The VIE flight is very likely to leave from Terminal C. If its not the 9:20 pm flight, you have many further options on the same day should your incoming flight be delayed, in which case you will be rebooked for free, no matter if you bought the ticket through BA oder AB/HG.

If possible, I would opt for carry-on only.

btw. you also have a non-stop option ARN-VIE available on HG metal
Old Mar 26, 14, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Arriving from ARN on AB and connecting to VIE 35 minutes later should be doable? It looks like most of the flights are in Terminal C, but sometimes from A...
If on a redemption ticket bought via BA on AB/Nikki metal, AB still will have to move me to the next VIE flight should I not make the connection, correct?
For my Scandinavia-TXL-Schengen destination travels, 35 minute connections have mostly worked out fine for me, but then I'd only do that if only having carry-on luggage or if wanting to do a bit of shopping at airline and/or financial intermediary's expense after the checked bag fails to make the connection.
Old Mar 27, 14, 3:51 pm

Programs: SK EBD (*G)
I have missed similarly short connections cople of times in TXL and AB was nice to rebook me on SK. So I am less and less worried about them.
Old Apr 7, 14, 3:24 pm

I think this connection looks fine too.
Old Feb 7, 16, 12:33 am

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
I have 30 minutes connection in TXL, AB to AB

The worry is that incoming aircraft is a propeller plane so I guess it implies a bus transfer to terminal, delaying further the arrival. Onward connection is an Airbus, so probably from gate.

There is no terminal info for neither flights (?) so I would appreciate if a seasoned traveler out of TXL can comment if my chances are slim or not.

I bought the short connection in anticipation that I am accepting to lose the connection in worst case, but now my plans have changed that I have a further connection after that last leg so that my plans are ruined if I lose my TXL connection.
Old Feb 7, 16, 7:51 am

Programs: QF WP, VA SG
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post

The worry is that incoming aircraft is a propeller plane so I guess it implies a bus transfer to terminal, delaying further the arrival. Onward connection is an Airbus, so probably from gate.

There is no terminal info for neither flights (?) so I would appreciate if a seasoned traveler out of TXL can comment if my chances are slim or not.

I bought the short connection in anticipation that I am accepting to lose the connection in worst case, but now my plans have changed that I have a further connection after that last leg so that my plans are ruined if I lose my TXL connection.
Very tight to my mind but all arrivals at Terminal C are busses. I;d give you reasonable odds of making the connection but wouldn't bank on it if it was important.
Old Feb 7, 16, 8:03 am

Almost all arrivals in TXL are by bus (propeller or not). Even if you are arriving to a jet-way, there is a good chance that you have to do a terminal change (which is comparable to the bus thing timewise). In my experience, 30 minutes is really tight. Often when you arrive at the parking position, you have to wait quite some time before a bus and the ground staff arrive, which further decreases the available connection time.

When you miss a connection there is usually no service air side, and no information whatsoever. The first time was quite frustrating for me. There is a service counter landside. The few times when I missed at tight connection, they rebooked me with no trouble to another carrier (outside OW!). But if you cannot afford a delay, I would not risk it. It may be that you can still be able to change your ticket.
Old Feb 7, 16, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond

You will almost certainly arrive at Terminal C if you are on a turbo-prop.

Even if it's an Airbus, your next flight could leave either from C or D (same building and airside transfer possible) or A (only transfer possible is to exit C, walk across to A and go through security again at your assigned A gate).

It really depends on the destination of your connecting flight as to which terminal it is. AB invariably (but not 100% of the time) use A Gates for domestic destinations like FRA, DUS, CGN, STR and MUC as well as ZRH and for long-haul. The rest are usually contained in C and D.
Old Feb 7, 16, 10:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

Best case scenario, you'll make it. But if just 1 thing goes wrong, i. e. flight delay, change of terminals, you won't make it. TXL is not a difficult airport to navigate but you need at least 45 minutes between flights to comfortably make a connection. 30 minutes is not doable in my opinion. You have a better chance of making a 30-minute connection at DUS than TXL.
Old Feb 11, 16, 6:56 am

Thanks for the replies for my question above.
Now I found that the connecting flight seems to depart from C and sometimes IIRC those flights are boarded from gate directly to apron by walk, which allows "last minute" boarding.
Now I hope my arriving plane arrives also on C and has no bus. To maximize my chances, should I seat in front or rear to exit as fast as possible? It is a Dash 8 Q400 plane I arrive with, does it disembark from rear?
Then just run...I don't want to think of how low-cost AB carrier rebooks overnight nor provides hotel or anything, especially when ticket is bought through OTA
Old Feb 11, 16, 11:35 am

Q400 deplanes from the front.
Old Feb 12, 16, 1:53 pm

I made it

It was bus arrival at C, with some delay, so I run like hell but made it to connecting gate at C. I was the last to board, but still there was some waiting so why did I run
Well, lucky this time. Not recommended though.