Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Air Berlin connection / security & customs time?

Air Berlin connection / security & customs time?

Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by warakorn
Since when do customes stamp stuff? (maybe on a declaration form from some individuals, passing through the red lane)
Maybe you travelled to Europe in your dreams.
Excuse me for my terminology; I'm sure you know what I meant.

I did get my passport stamped in DUS as I thought.

I also finally received my second bag yesterday.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
thepla: modulo terminology all of you are right. In Europe (with few exceptions) passport control happens at point of entry (like in US), but the customs control of goods that you carry with you happens at the final destination (unlike in US). The former is usually quite fast, but it is in perspective of many travellers the latter that is slow, as it requires claiming and rechecking bags, which notoriously irritates Europeans travelling to US with domestic legs (or Europeans travelling to Norway with domestic legs).
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:24 pm

Is a terminal change required in TXL for VIE--TXL--JFK flight with AirBerlin ??
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cdn1
Is a terminal change required in TXL for VIE--TXL--JFK flight with AirBerlin ??
Yes, terminal B to Terminal C.
There's a direct link. Will take you ca 10-15mins. Easy walk.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:35 pm

Thanks Andie007 for the reply.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AB Topbonus
JFK will depart from Terminal B / Terminal A Gate1, which is the same spot.

You will most likely arrive at Terminal A, so no worries!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bobberle101
JFK will depart from Terminal B / Terminal A Gate1, which is the same spot.

You will most likely arrive at Terminal A, so no worries!
Ah yeah - sorry. Mixed it up with Duesseldorf.
Thanx Bobberle!
Old May 21, 2014, 5:59 pm

Air berlin staying in Dusseldorf International Airport

We have just booked a flight with Air Berlin. We will be taking our first flight on July 27 from Istanbul to Dusseldorf. We will arrive to Dusseldorf by noon. Our connecting flight to Miami is next morning (July 28).

We have green cards. Thus we cannot leave the airport. Is it possible to stay at the gate overnight? Sleep and wait for our morning flight? Some posts state that the airport will be closed We have called Air Berlin customer service in North America they said we could stay. But we would like to really make sure that we can stay at the airport as we do not want to loose our money.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Aslihan Erkan Akkaya
We have just booked a flight with Air Berlin. We will be taking our first flight on July 27 from Istanbul to Dusseldorf. We will arrive to Dusseldorf by noon. Our connecting flight to Miami is next morning (July 28).

We have green cards. Thus we cannot leave the airport. Is it possible to stay at the gate overnight? Sleep and wait for our morning flight? Some posts state that the airport will be closed We have called Air Berlin customer service in North America they said we could stay. But we would like to really make sure that we can stay at the airport as we do not want to loose our money.

Thanks!
From the DUS airport website:

Can I remain overnight at the airport when my flight leaves very early the next morning?

Yes, you can spend the whole night in the terminal. McDonalds in Arrivals and the b2b-caf on the Departures level are both open round the clock.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aslihan Erkan Akkaya

Thanks!
Very YMMV depending on nationalty. DUS airside is not open 24 hours and you have to enter Germany. The link linglingfool provided refers to landside which is open 24 hours.

Assuming you are a Turkish national, it looks like you will need a visitor (aka Tourist) visa since you it doesn't look like you can stay airside overnight.

Airport Transit in Germany

If you were transiting Frankfurt or Munich, you probably do not need any visa on basis of being a US LPR as airside is open 24 hours.

Last edited by seawolf; May 22, 2014 at 8:42 am
Old May 22, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Very YMMV depending on nationalty. DUS airside is not open 24 hours and you have to enter Germany. The link linglingfool provided refers to landside which is open 24 hours.
Good to know -- I've never had the need to try.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:50 am

I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.... I am arriving from FCO to TXL to ORD with a 45 min connection in TXL... is this doable?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by StephVA
I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.... I am arriving from FCO to TXL to ORD with a 45 min connection in TXL... is this doable?
Doable? Yes, barely, assuming your inbound flight arrives with no delays. I wouldn't choose to do it, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.