Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Air Berlin connection / security & customs time?

Air Berlin connection / security & customs time?

Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:08 pm
  #16  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,366
Originally Posted by warakorn
Since when do customes stamp stuff? (maybe on a declaration form from some individuals, passing through the red lane)
Maybe you travelled to Europe in your dreams.
Excuse me for my terminology; I'm sure you know what I meant.

I did get my passport stamped in DUS as I thought.

I also finally received my second bag yesterday.
thepla is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:48 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Koala Lemur
Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Posts: 2,472
thepla: modulo terminology all of you are right. In Europe (with few exceptions) passport control happens at point of entry (like in US), but the customs control of goods that you carry with you happens at the final destination (unlike in US). The former is usually quite fast, but it is in perspective of many travellers the latter that is slow, as it requires claiming and rechecking bags, which notoriously irritates Europeans travelling to US with domestic legs (or Europeans travelling to Norway with domestic legs).
SK2751 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:24 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 596
Is a terminal change required in TXL for VIE--TXL--JFK flight with AirBerlin ??
cdn1 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:50 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, DUS
Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by cdn1
Is a terminal change required in TXL for VIE--TXL--JFK flight with AirBerlin ??
Yes, terminal B to Terminal C.
There's a direct link. Will take you ca 10-15mins. Easy walk.
Andie007 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:35 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 596
Thanks Andie007 for the reply.
cdn1 is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:43 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: BER
Programs: AB Topbonus
Posts: 108
JFK will depart from Terminal B / Terminal A Gate1, which is the same spot.

You will most likely arrive at Terminal A, so no worries!
bobberle101 is offline  
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:41 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, DUS
Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by bobberle101
JFK will depart from Terminal B / Terminal A Gate1, which is the same spot.

You will most likely arrive at Terminal A, so no worries!
Ah yeah - sorry. Mixed it up with Duesseldorf.
Thanx Bobberle!
Andie007 is offline  
Old May 21, 2014, 5:59 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Air berlin staying in Dusseldorf International Airport

We have just booked a flight with Air Berlin. We will be taking our first flight on July 27 from Istanbul to Dusseldorf. We will arrive to Dusseldorf by noon. Our connecting flight to Miami is next morning (July 28).

We have green cards. Thus we cannot leave the airport. Is it possible to stay at the gate overnight? Sleep and wait for our morning flight? Some posts state that the airport will be closed We have called Air Berlin customer service in North America they said we could stay. But we would like to really make sure that we can stay at the airport as we do not want to loose our money.

Thanks!
Aslihan Erkan Akkaya is offline  
Old May 21, 2014, 6:28 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ORD
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 2,782
Originally Posted by Aslihan Erkan Akkaya
We have just booked a flight with Air Berlin. We will be taking our first flight on July 27 from Istanbul to Dusseldorf. We will arrive to Dusseldorf by noon. Our connecting flight to Miami is next morning (July 28).

We have green cards. Thus we cannot leave the airport. Is it possible to stay at the gate overnight? Sleep and wait for our morning flight? Some posts state that the airport will be closed We have called Air Berlin customer service in North America they said we could stay. But we would like to really make sure that we can stay at the airport as we do not want to loose our money.

Thanks!
From the DUS airport website:

Can I remain overnight at the airport when my flight leaves very early the next morning?

Yes, you can spend the whole night in the terminal. McDonalds in Arrivals and the b2b-caf on the Departures level are both open round the clock.
linglingfool is offline  
Old May 22, 2014, 7:46 am
  #25  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,729
Originally Posted by Aslihan Erkan Akkaya
We have just booked a flight with Air Berlin. We will be taking our first flight on July 27 from Istanbul to Dusseldorf. We will arrive to Dusseldorf by noon. Our connecting flight to Miami is next morning (July 28).

We have green cards. Thus we cannot leave the airport. Is it possible to stay at the gate overnight? Sleep and wait for our morning flight? Some posts state that the airport will be closed We have called Air Berlin customer service in North America they said we could stay. But we would like to really make sure that we can stay at the airport as we do not want to loose our money.

Thanks!
Very YMMV depending on nationalty. DUS airside is not open 24 hours and you have to enter Germany. The link linglingfool provided refers to landside which is open 24 hours.

Assuming you are a Turkish national, it looks like you will need a visitor (aka Tourist) visa since you it doesn't look like you can stay airside overnight.

Airport Transit in Germany

If you were transiting Frankfurt or Munich, you probably do not need any visa on basis of being a US LPR as airside is open 24 hours.

Last edited by seawolf; May 22, 2014 at 8:42 am
seawolf is offline  
Old May 22, 2014, 10:33 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ORD
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 2,782
Originally Posted by seawolf
Very YMMV depending on nationalty. DUS airside is not open 24 hours and you have to enter Germany. The link linglingfool provided refers to landside which is open 24 hours.
Good to know -- I've never had the need to try.
linglingfool is offline  
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:50 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.... I am arriving from FCO to TXL to ORD with a 45 min connection in TXL... is this doable?
StephVA is offline  
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:11 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ORD
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 2,782
Originally Posted by StephVA
I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere.... I am arriving from FCO to TXL to ORD with a 45 min connection in TXL... is this doable?
Doable? Yes, barely, assuming your inbound flight arrives with no delays. I wouldn't choose to do it, though.
linglingfool is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.