Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AB Topbonus or BA Avios?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, A-Club PLATINUM, HHonors Gold, GPP-Gold, BWR-Diamond, PCR PLAT, *Wood P
AB Topbonus or BA Avios?

Hi all... What program would you guys stick to questioning to stay at TB (classic) or switching to BA Avios as a new member? I need 8 more flights to being TB Silver...
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: AB Topbonus
Depends on your hub and travel pattern.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I have a similar travel pattern to the OP. I do easily about 15 returns shor haul in Europe (international) via TXL. This is in total 60 legs, which gives me OW Sapphire with BA (BA Silver for 600 TPs). Other than that I do an odd (1-2 a year) long haul with BA either far East or TATL, and perhaps once a year a long haul on AY.

I started to work on BA Sapphire, but now I have second thoughts. In the end my butt seats much more on AB flights. I already realized that BA Sapphire will not give me access to the waiting area at TXL or VIE, in a way it is really annoying, but so far I almost do not need it (my connections in TXL are very short most of the time). I wonder whether I will be able to get lounge access in outstations, where AB does not have its own lounges (but where I still fly on AB, like in CPH)? What other important perks I can count on as BA silver on AB? I mostly care about efficient travel and lounge access. Awards are of minor importance to me.

Should I consider a status match to AB? Is it possible from BA Silver or from SK *G?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, A-Club PLATINUM, HHonors Gold, GPP-Gold, BWR-Diamond, PCR PLAT, *Wood P
Originally Posted by bobberle101
Depends on your hub and travel pattern.
I usually travel from DUS as a AB hub and stick to AB where I can and it makes sense...
AB offers good connection to Mia or JFK or eastbound routings on EY to UAE or far east so if AB topbonus isn't that crappy I'd stay there
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have a look here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I asked there once, but with no effect. There is much more people asking there than replying (actually this was the first weird thing about OW for me, after being *G -- in *A it is quite easy to figure this out by reading flyertalk).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Seeing that you fly with AB that much, I'd say you'll be better off with AB.
They treat their own FFs better than other OW FFs - fee-free advance seat selection and XL seat availability goes automatically as topbonus elite, while you have to call and deal with different agents some of whom are less-than competent eeach time when trying to do the same as an OW elite. I'm willing to do this a few times a year, but not 60 times...
And as you say lounge access is important to you, well, the 'exklusiver Wartebereich" AB offers is not available for OW elites, just for topbonus members.
Better earning, too, if you don't spring for "flex" full-fare Y tickets. The Avios/tier points earning rates for AB discounted economy fare classes in BAEC aren't great at 25% resp. 50%. No tier point bonuses as well. With AB's higher earnings on their intra-european flights, you'll earn OW status way quicker than if you were crediting those flights to BA and should have no trouble getting to Gold and even PLatinum is well within reach when you select your longhaul routes so you'll earn full mileage.
In general, topbonus members earn 100% miles on a lot more fare classes than they would on BA or AA on their intra-european flights. That's the main reason why I keep crediting my intra-EU flights to topbonus - on AA, I'd only earn 25% mileage.
Plus, if you constantly fly the same routes, topbonus allows you to select "my route" where you earn double RDM.

For long-haul travel to Asia and the Americas, check out AB's partner EY. Good route network and decent earning as well as redemption options (EY premium cabins are really nice!) on them. Cheaper redemptions as with BA as well (no outrageous surcharges).
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

@bhomburg THX for that detailed Info.... I'll have a view on this shortly and keep your post in mind ^
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:43 pm

I would go with BA avios.

Rewards flight saver are great to use on AB. I only started flying the, after reaching BA Gold and I love the benefits.

Free XL seat amd hard seat blocking.
Lounge access.
Pfreee changes (for gold award bookings)

An award ticket txl-mxp on ba is 4500 avios and about eur 35 or 15000 tb miles and eur 100+ tax

I use avios a lot on ab, especially last minute and the availability is great....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Plus, if you constantly fly the same routes, topbonus allows you to select "my route" where you earn double RDM.
How do I do that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.