AB &EU261.....a nightmare

Old Dec 21, 13, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

Does anyone else have experience in claiming under the EU261/2004 legislation with AB. They really do not seem to like it, do they.

After the cancellation of a domestic flight in September, they offer a "travel voucher". I have to rebook, pay and then claim the money back.
Well I don't think so, so still pursuing this case.

Since then they rebooked me on 2 occasions and re-routed me via another airport on flights to/ from Spain ex Germany, with 3 weeks notice, incurring a 4 and 7 hour delay respectively.
When I asked for EU261 compensation again I got an standardised e Mail apologising for the inconvenience and that's it.
I set them another deadline and if I still have no luck I will go down the road of legal proceedings and a formal complaint via the LBA (german equivalent to CAA/FAA).
Anyone else had problems with AB?

Many thanks for your comments in advance
Old Dec 21, 13, 5:39 am

Programs: Oneworld, Hilton, IHG
Just submitted an email to them today re: EC 261/ my overnight delay (distance over 3,500km). CUR-DUS

I'll post the results. Look forward to hearing your progress.
Old Dec 21, 13, 5:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flier74 View Post
Since then they rebooked me on 2 occasions and re-routed me via another airport on flights to/ from Spain ex Germany, with 3 weeks notice, incurring a 4 and 7 hour delay respectively.
It might help to start with exactly what was cancelled and when.... a change in schedule 3 weeks before flying is not something that will get you any compensation under EU261.
Old Dec 21, 13, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
It might help to start with exactly what was cancelled and when.... a change in schedule 3 weeks before flying is not something that will get you any compensation under EU261.
As I understand it, you are correct. It's only for cancellations/changes under 2 weeks.

edit: my claim is regarding the outbound flight for a trip which was already underway.
Old Dec 21, 13, 5:55 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Black
When I asked for EU261 compensation again I got an standardised e Mail apologising for the inconvenience and that's it.
I set them another deadline and if I still have no luck I will go down the road of legal proceedings and a formal complaint via the LBA (german equivalent to CAA/FAA).
without knowing all the details of your case, but which compensation you think you are entitled to?
When an airline cancels a flight and re-routes you and informs you with at least 2 weeks notice, then you are not entitled to compensation. When I read article 5, I would mean that you could claim compensation in case the airline informs you with less than 2 weeks notice.
Old Dec 21, 13, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gkl View Post
without knowing all the details of your case, but which compensation you think you are entitled to?
When an airline cancels a flight and re-routes you and informs you with at least 2 weeks notice, then you are not entitled to compensation. When I read article 5, I would mean that you could claim compensation in case the airline informs you with less than 2 weeks notice.

Thanks for all the replies.

First cancelled flight was cancelled on the day due to tech issues, from STR-GWT. they offered rerouting to HAM which I took then taxi to station and train

Second flight was DUS-ALC and back originally booked nonstop, 3 weeks before each sector got an eMail saying I have been rebooked via PMI due to unforeseen circumstances with a longer travel time, hence a 4 hr delay outbound, 7 hr delay inbound compared to original flight times.

Thanks again and any more thoughts are more than welcome.

Last edited by Flier74; Dec 21, 13 at 6:26 am Reason: Added info
Old Dec 21, 13, 6:31 am

Thanks for all the replies.

First cancelled flight was cancelled on the day due to tech issues, from STR-GWT. they offered rerouting to HAM which I took then taxi to station and train

Second flight was DUS-ALC and back originally booked nonstop, 3 weeks before each sector got an eMail saying I have been rebooked via PMI due to unforeseen circumstances with a longer travel time, hence a 4 hr delay outbound, 7 hr delay inbound compared to original flight times.

Thanks again and any more thoughts are more than welcome.
This will help you out.
Check out source links at bottom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004
Old Dec 21, 13, 6:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just look at what's spelled out in EU261.... the only flight you might get some compensation for is the first one. But only if your delay was more than 2 hours arriving at your destination. Then a cash compensation is required. Only "extraordinary circumstances" would get AB off the hook for such a claim.

For the others, if communicated 2 weeks before departure there is no claim. You either accept an alternative or get your money back.
Old Dec 22, 13, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks again, much appreciated
Old Dec 22, 13, 8:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT

It is EC 261 not EU 261.

The actual legislation is at:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:046:0001:0007:EN:PDF
Old Dec 22, 13, 9:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
They really do not seem to like it, do they.
It's probably fair to say no airline likes it. I'm now in year 7 (yes, seven) waiting for my claim against Swiss (LX) to be settled ...
Old Dec 22, 13, 10:29 am

Programs: QF (WP, LTG), LH (SEN** till 02/20), AB-G, AF, AA
Originally Posted by swiss_global View Post
It's probably fair to say no airline likes it. I'm now in year 7 (yes, seven) waiting for my claim against Swiss (LX) to be settled ...
Most airlines are the same. If you want your money, you have to get a lawyer. Then they pay what you are entitled to.
I had Issues with LH, and DE. AB offered me a voucher that covered my costs. I took it as I wanted to save the hassle.

BA was very good. They rebook and compensate in few weeks.

To be fair: AB just changed the provider dealing with customer service. The new one is known for good service. If things go perfect, the situation may improve!
Old Dec 22, 13, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. As to the first scheduled flight, what was the ultimate delay in arriving at GWT? The fact of the reroute is unimportant. What is important is the time of your originally scheduled arrival and then your post-rebook scheduled arrival, e.g., the train's scheduled arrival at GWT. Under most circumstances, a tech delay will qualify for 261/2004 compensation, payable in a cash equivalent.

2. As to the second flight, you were notified more than 14 days in advance. Thus, there is no compensation due. You were, however, entitled to a reroute. Unless you have a proposal for a better reroute and AB refused that, the delay time is not really material, e.g., there was a flight with a 2-hour delay and space available, but AB refused you that flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: