Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

EU 261/2004 Compensation with AirBerlin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

EU 261/2004 Compensation with AirBerlin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:14 pm

Airberlin finally got back tome after I rejected the original offer.

The e-mail i received:
Dear Mr Djokison,

Thank you for your correspondence.

We regret that your flight did not take place as planned and we would like to apologize for the resulting inconvenience.

As an apology we will grant you a travel voucher in the amount of 250 EUR on your next reservation with us for a flight with airberlin and NIKI.

As soon as you submit the new booking number and your international bank details (name of the bank, IBAN and SWIFT codes) / (name of the bank, account no., routing no.) by fax (+49 / 30 / 3434 1909) or e-mail ([email protected]) together with our reference V-XXXXXX we will credit your booking account accordingly.

Should you have booked your new flight as part of a package tour that includes transportation with airberlin and NIKI, we ask you to submit the booking confirmation and boarding passes after completion of your journey. Kindly include your bank details and we will retroactively process a transfer.

This voucher can be redeemed until 31.01.2016. Any form of resale is prohibited and does not entitle the buyer to claim the discount.

We look forward to welcoming you on board a future airberlin and NIKI flight.
I'm just going to accept it, since in my case Airberlin could easily argue that it wasn't (all) in their control (flight was originally delayed by 1 hour, then a passenger got sick and her bags had to be unloaded, plane had to fly a very northerly route due to a hurricane in the atlantic, these 3 things then lead to having to land in the Azores due to crew time out issues and eventually arriving in DUS 6 hours later than planned. Truly a series of unfortunate events.)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: TK Gold, AZ Gold, HH Honours Gold, SPG Platin
How about the following case:

Original booked with AB for January 27th:
AB8951, CPH - TXL, 7:40 pm – 8:40 pm
AB8070, TXL-WAW, 9:30 pm – 10:50 pm
Real Flighttimes (all according flightaware)
Jan 27th 2014: AB8951, CPH - TXL, 10:27 pm – 11:09 pm
Jan 28th 2014: AB8038, TXL-WAW, 9:30 am – 10:23 am

Yes, there was snow at CPH. Allright, but:

- The flight from TXL to CPH (AB8092) arrived at 8:06 pm instead of the scheduled 6:45 pm cause it left TXL at 7:28 pm instead of 5:55 pm. Real arrival at the gate in CPH was indeed even later than the mentioned 8:15 pm boarding time on the displays at CPH cause it arrived at 8:22 pm at the finger
Other comparable flights from TXL departured nearly on time (f.ex. 4U8062 at 6:10 pm instead 5:50 pm ; LH197 at 6:12 pm instead 5:45 pm ; AF1835 at 6:22 pm anstatt 6:00 pm ; LH2047 at 6:33pm instead 6:10pm) while others were delayed but not that much as AB9092

- A scheduled arrival was possible for many planes at this time at CPH. Even some were delayed, AB8092 was the one with the most delay

- Departures from CPH all went with a slight delay, but none so dramatic as my AB8951.

- I asked for a rebooking on LOT Airlines before (Scheduled from CPH,8:25 pm, at WAW: 9:20 pm; really: 9:30 pm - 10:45pm) but was denied cause the plane would be exactly the one which flies to WAW afterwards as I was told

So: Have I any right to complain? Yes, there was snow but according the rules - as far as I understand them - it is not my problem when the arriving flight is late due any circumstances. Also, snow in January should be normal.

Yes, AB paid for the needed hotel in Berlin and also allowed me to change my "return flight" (WAW-TXL-DUS) which was originally scheduled for Jan 28th 10:45 am. But I had travel expensed like taxi costs and I had to pay one night more in WAW.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I would probably at least try to get the taxi refunded. If this was the taxi in connection with the Berlin hotel. I have no experience with AB in this respect, but have been refunded such expenses by airlines before, in bad weather. My gut tells me that this is easier than any compensation.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:48 pm

Yes, taxi for sure.

But what I found out is more interesting: The plane "D-ABGO" was delayed the whole day.

2014-01-27
AB8951 Copenhagen (CPH) Berlin (TXL) 19:40 CET 21:36 20:40 CET Landed 23:12
2014-01-27
AB8092 Berlin (TXL) Copenhagen (CPH) 17:55 CET 19:05 18:55 CET Landed 20:15
2014-01-27
AB8927 Salzburg (SZG) Berlin (TXL) 15:00 CET 17:00 16:10 CET Landed 18:06
2014-01-27
AB8926 Berlin (TXL) Salzburg (SZG) 13:05 CET 13:05 14:15 CET Landed 16:26
2014-01-27
AB8039 Warsaw (WAW) Berlin (TXL) 10:45 CET 11:12 12:10 CET Landed 12:55
2014-01-27
AB8038 Berlin (TXL) Warsaw (WAW) 08:55 CET 09:36 10:15 CET Landed 10:40
2014-01-27
AB8935 Salzburg (SZG) Berlin (TXL) 06:30 CET 06:59 07:40 CET Landed 08:07

So, the airline knew the situation and for sure also the weather conditions in Europe. It was clearly their mistake that they did not change anything in their schedules. I'll go for the full refund of 250 € plus the taxi costs. First via contacting the topbonus gold membership service, if not succesful via lawyer.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Does AB gold service actually talk to non AB golds?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
Does AB gold service actually talk to non AB golds?
Hehe, thanks for the reminder. I just updated my profile - since 09/13 i've this status thanks to a status match. And requalification was made just last week.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: FB Silver
Hey all,

I’ve made an EU261 experience with Air Berlin recently as well, and after so far having only asked questions on FT and having always received lots of help right away, it’s about time I contribute something myself. Not sure whether there is some consolidated thread on EU261 (with AB or in general), so I’ll just post here, this seems to be the most recently used thread on this topic.

My situation was as follows: About half a year ago, I intended to fly GWT-TXL-BUD with AB. Connection time at TXL was about 40 minutes, and from the very early morning on (the flight was in the afternoon), the first flight was shown as going to be delayed by about 40 minutes online. Indeed it did end up being exactly that, and I narrowly missed my connection at TXL (annoyingly being held back from leaving the plane as one of the first passengers, despite sitting in row 1, because they wanted to first have 9 passengers disembark who had a connection to ZRH to catch – they probably made their flight, I was held back and was told I would have ‘no problem to make my flight’ – but that just as an aside).

So I missed it, and as there were no more seats on direct flights to BUD on that day, got rerouted via TXL-VIE-BUD with AB and OS. The second flight itself had another 30 minute delay, and all in all I ended up arriving 3h20 late.

So a few days after the flight, I contacted AB via letter, describing my case and asking for compensation. Nothing happened, so I followed it up with a second letter, to which I got a reply that they would look at my case. I had to remind them a few times, and at some point got the exact same offer the OP got:

1) Travel voucher in the amount of EUR 120.00 – redeemable on all airberlin group operated flights, regardless of travel type (validity: 24 months)
OR

2) 10,000 topbonus award miles

OR

3) Cash payment of EUR 75.00

I decided to turn it down and keep pursuing my case, and it took a few more email from my side until, after 5 month in total, AB finally came back to me claiming that in my case the delay was due to a reason outside their control and no compensation was due.

So I then contacted one of the companies that deal with these compensation claims on a professional basis – my choice, more or less at random, was euclaim.de. I knew they have a high success rate (at least they claim), and was quite confident that they could get something out of AB, but the speed with which they did then really surprised me – less than 2 weeks after I first contacted them, I had the compensation from AB (minus roundabout 30% for euclaim) on my bank account.

So I can confirm what many people have experienced before: AB is VERY reluctant to compensate – but it is certainly worth pursuing your cases, and I can highly recommend euclaim (at least their German site) – very professional and friendly contacts.

I hope you were not compleately bored by my little story, and maybe it helps one or two people coming back to this thread looking for help.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, A-Club PLATINUM, HHonors Gold, GPP-Gold, BWR-Diamond, PCR PLAT, *Wood P
Originally Posted by Centipede100
Good result and thanks for posting the eventual outcome.
Lucky You! I got a mail by AB (4,5h delay in summer PMI-DUS) saying I get some kind of voucher which is worth 250,- € for my next booking. We'll see of they transfer the money... Doubt that secretly...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:50 pm

Hi,
Could somebody give me some guidance on how to claim the compensation from Air Berlin in the correct way ? I already posted a claim of 600€ per person via their customer queries on their webpages but should I have done this by attaching the official EU 261/2004 document filled in ?
Our family of 4 were on a flight from Berlin to Miami on March 8th. Somewhere above UK, the captain said we had to return to Germany because of technical problems in the plane. We ended finally in Munich and they re-routed us (after queing 4.5 hours at the AB counter at the airport for rebooking) for the following day with Lufthansa via Frankfurt to Miami. We arrived 24 hours later than scheduled. They kept telling us at the airport that we can claim compensation for this but nobody really told us how.

Anyway - so I send the request for compensation via their website but just want to make sure I didn't miss the essential - the official EU claim paper. Is that needed ? I assume they get all the details of our flight based on the bookingnumber etc. though. How long do you expect it to take before any response from Air Berlin? I got an confirmation by email that they have received my message but that of course was just an automated message.
Thank you in advance for your comments and help!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AB Topbonus
dont expect any answer from them within the next 6 months, if at all.
here is quite some money involved (4x600€). i would advise u to get one of the many specialized German lawyers, who take around 20% commission. this will be fastest and most hassle free approach.
(even) as C pax and top tier it took me months to get "some" reimbursement.
cheers
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kasuupo
Hi,
Could somebody give me some guidance on how to claim the compensation from Air Berlin in the correct way ? I already posted a claim of 600€ per person via their customer queries on their webpages but should I have done this by attaching the official EU 261/2004 document filled in ?
Our family of 4 were on a flight from Berlin to Miami on March 8th. Somewhere above UK, the captain said we had to return to Germany because of technical problems in the plane. We ended finally in Munich and they re-routed us (after queing 4.5 hours at the AB counter at the airport for rebooking) for the following day with Lufthansa via Frankfurt to Miami. We arrived 24 hours later than scheduled. They kept telling us at the airport that we can claim compensation for this but nobody really told us how.

Anyway - so I send the request for compensation via their website but just want to make sure I didn't miss the essential - the official EU claim paper. Is that needed ? I assume they get all the details of our flight based on the bookingnumber etc. though. How long do you expect it to take before any response from Air Berlin? I got an confirmation by email that they have received my message but that of course was just an automated message.
Thank you in advance for your comments and help!
Wlecome to Flyertalk!

Contacting AB via the regular communication channels (e.g. website contact form) is sufficient, no need to attach documents etc.

Personally I´d send them another e-mail after ~6 weeks giving them a deadline to respond within 14 business days or similar.

If they do not come through (I´d be surprised if they did) I´d hand over the case to one of the specialized law firms, as suggested above.
The commission rate typically is 15%-25% with no risk involved for you, which is quite reasonable IMO. I´ve had good success with EUclaim.com, but other law firms probably are just as good.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:17 am

Thanks @bobberle101 & @Jasper2009 !
I will give AB the 6 weeks to come back and will then contact them again if no response. Will definitely also consider using some of the German lawfirms if the claim doesn't progress. Is there btw any direct email address to their customer service or is the website the only way to contact them ?
Thanks,
Kati
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by kasuupo
Thanks @bobberle101 & @Jasper2009 !
I will give AB the 6 weeks to come back and will then contact them again if no response. Will definitely also consider using some of the German lawfirms if the claim doesn't progress. Is there btw any direct email address to their customer service or is the website the only way to contact them ?
Thanks,
Kati
Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG
Saatwinkler Damm 42-43
13627 Berlin, Germany

Phone +49 30 3434-1919
Fax +49 30 3434-1909

E-mail (English) : [email protected]
E-mail (German): [email protected]
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:55 pm

EU261 and AB-finally succeeded

Following a cancelled somestic flight last September due to technical reasons I iniitally had no luck in claiming for EU261 compensation.
Finally I am happy I have not given up.....
After numerous letters after a offer of a voucher and its value being reimbursed after purchase of a new ticket, I got nowehere with them, actually they did not even bother replying anymore.
I contacted my solicitor who sent them 2 requests to pay up, yet again to no avail.
Only after he went to the small claims court they finally paid the compensation, the additionally incurred costs and now also have to pay the solicitor.

Gosh, they could have had it the easy (and cheaper ) way but were clearly not interested, unlike my experience with BA a couple of months ago, where the money was in my account within a week after a cancellation.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Based on the comments in this thread, this sounds like a pretty typical experience.

[deleted]

It would appear that AB often finds it more economical to ignore claims and only pay out in small claims, as the hassle of filing probably deters a lot of people.

Last edited by linglingfool; Apr 21, 2014 at 7:23 am Reason: Edit: Deleted circular reference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.