Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience on Air Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Question Experience on Air Berlin

(I know this is the Delta forum, but I've found I get many more replies here than anywhere else! )

I'm thinking of booking a family trip to CPH next summer with a stop in MXP on the way back. Because we don't have enough SkyMiles this time, we have to book it normally. The cheapest right now is $1100 (from JFK) and is on Air Berlin. In Economy, does anybody have any experiences with them, short or long-haul? I know they recently upgraded their A330s...can you tell me about that?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:59 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
(I know this is the Delta forum, but I've found I get many more replies here than anywhere else! )

I'm thinking of booking a family trip to CPH next summer with a stop in MXP on the way back. Because we don't have enough SkyMiles this time, we have to book it normally. The cheapest right now is $1100 (from JFK) and is on Air Berlin. In Economy, does anybody have any experiences with them, short or long-haul? I know they recently upgraded their A330s...can you tell me about that?

Thanks in advance!
They are in the process of upgrading their long-haul flights. Intra-EU they are better in Y than DL, you get a sandwich and a chocolate heart as well as better seats with more leg room in newer planes. However, there is no F at all in the planes.

Long haul clearly reflects their setting as a tourist bomber, nothing to write home about at all. They don't have any EC setting (don't get fooled by their "XL seats" - those are bulkhead or emergency exits and NOT better seats) but the updated planes have pTV. If you're unlucky you end up of one of their old (LTU?) 330 that don't even have business class and only overhead IFE.

What connecting airport will you use? DUS or TXL?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by c_d
They are in the process of upgrading their long-haul flights. Intra-EU they are better in Y than DL, you get a sandwich and a chocolate heart as well as better seats with more leg room in newer planes. However, there is no F at all in the planes.

Long haul clearly reflects their setting as a tourist bomber, nothing to write home about at all. They don't have any EC setting (don't get fooled by their "XL seats" - those are bulkhead or emergency exits and NOT better seats) but the updated planes have pTV. If you're unlucky you end up of one of their old (LTU?) 330 that don't even have business class and only overhead IFE.

What connecting airport will you use? DUS or TXL?
I would be connecting through TXL on all three parts of the trip. Also, both long-haul legs are scheduled to be A330-200s if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Plat, LH Freq Traveller
I fly Air Berlin in Europe all the time when the DL/KLM routes aren't an option. It's no Lufthansa but it's a fairly solid airline that is on the higher end of budget airlines. I haven't done anything more than a couple hours on Air Berlin, but it can't be too terrible. They also just joined one world, so you could get some miles out of it for American Airlines if you do the odd collecting with them.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:05 am

I used them on a Berlin to Munich run last year. Not a bad economy airline at all. Thought the service was pretty good. Unfortunately I can't comment about their TATL service.

Last edited by Seminole_Kev; Aug 30, 2012 at 11:23 am
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
MUC-DUS-RSW and then back again.

Back during my Prague days, Mrs. insisted that we fly airberlin back home to RSW. While this turned out to be the worst choice for us ever, because we were stuck to being total nobodies in the back instead of at least elites in the back... Oh, how I missed those SkyPriority benefits... And how I hated that drive from PRG to MUC and then back again...

Not applicable to you though, so other than that, their economy product wasn't all that bad. I was surprised that they still offered those little amenity kits that have disappeared from Delta long ago. The seats are pretty standard economy. I think I remember them being leather, just like Delta's. Food standard, but it was fun being able to practice my German while ordering it

I'd also consider if booking a cheaper fare is worth those lost MQMs. I know it wasn't for me...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:21 am

I flew them this summer from Frankfurt to Berlin in Y and thought it was great and cheap (only cost me $70 after fees). The flight was much more enjoyable than any I've had in US domestic Y. The chocolate <3s are tasty too.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I've flown them for short-haul coach. Fine, nothing special in my book, but a piece of chocolate isn't a make-or-break for me.

As noted above, be sure to include the value of any forgone MQMs or RDMs in your calculation.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Air Berlin Finances are Crappy!

The airline is not in great financial shape!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87E01R20120815

But this thread really doesn't belong here. If everyone posted off-DL topics because we have a responsive and helpful community, it could get a little chaotic, no? If DL had codeshares with this airline or it was a ST member, then this would belong here. There is a separate Air Berlin board.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
The oneworld forum might be a good start.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:18 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by RobertS975
But this thread really doesn't belong here. If everyone posted off-DL topics because we have a responsive and helpful community, it could get a little chaotic, no? If DL had codeshares with this airline or it was a ST member, then this would belong here. There is a separate Air Berlin board.
You are correct — just please do not accuse me of needing some staying power:
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Bruce, you need some staying power.
The new home for this discussion is now the airberlin topbonus forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, BA EC Gold, TK Elite, KL Silver
A few comments on airberlin's long-haul product in Y. Note that except one aircraft that is undergoing the makeover soon, all A332s used on AB's long-haul flights are already fitted with the new interior including seats and IFE.:

Economy:

- Seat:New development by German company ZIM. Very comfortable with nice movable headrest. See IFE link for pictures.

- Drinks: Complementary unlimitied alcoholic drinks including spirits (all brand products) + the usual selection of non-alcoholic beverages.

- Food: Choice of meals including a breakfast or other pre-arrival snack plus 1-2 additional snack services (chocolate bar etc.)

- Amenity kit: Free amenity kit on overnight flights (see picture for content) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...classakit.jpg/

- IFE: IMS' Rave personal screens at every seat. Great new IFE system with USB charger and huge variety of content (music, TV programs, movies, games etc.) For pictures see: http://www.imsco-us.com/index.php/cu...in/#ad-image-1

- Earplugs: Free of charge on long-haul flights.

- Blanket and pillow at every seat.

- Additionally various kits for children and special kits for babies with the essentials needed on trips. See http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...bchildkit.jpg/
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sebblum
A few comments on airberlin's long-haul product in Y. Note that except one aircraft that is undergoing the makeover soon, all A332s used on AB's long-haul flights are already fitted with the new interior including seats and IFE.:

Economy:

- Seat:New development by German company ZIM. Very comfortable with nice movable headrest. See IFE link for pictures.

- Drinks: Complementary unlimitied alcoholic drinks including spirits (all brand products) + the usual selection of non-alcoholic beverages.

- Food: Choice of meals including a breakfast or other pre-arrival snack plus 1-2 additional snack services (chocolate bar etc.)

- Amenity kit: Free amenity kit on overnight flights (see picture for content) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...classakit.jpg/

- IFE: IMS' Rave personal screens at every seat. Great new IFE system with USB charger and huge variety of content (music, TV programs, movies, games etc.) For pictures see: http://www.imsco-us.com/index.php/cu...in/#ad-image-1

- Earplugs: Free of charge on long-haul flights.

- Blanket and pillow at every seat.

- Additionally various kits for children and special kits for babies with the essentials needed on trips. See http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...bchildkit.jpg/
Sounds fantastic! Thanks everybody! I'm finding something cheaper from my hometown airport on Air Canada, so probably no Air Berlin this time, but good to know anyway.

Last edited by nytraveller53; Aug 31, 2012 at 7:53 am
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: LH Miles&More FTL, AB TopBonus Gold
Originally Posted by sebblum

Economy:

The new Amenity kit looks really nice now, I have an older one from a few years back and was surprised to get on an overnight flight to Bangkok. Even LH doesn't give out that sort of thing to Economy class and the Air France one came in a plastic pouch and everything smelled of the cheap plastic pouch.

+1 for Air Berlin on that.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Depending on your personal demands, AB can be a good choice.

In my experience (europe, TATL, domestic) AB's Y-product on board is definately competetive to other airlines. They used to have one big disadvantage: The missing PTV, but AFAIK all A330 have been equipped with one.

The short/medium haul fleet is really great. In my opinion it is better than LH.

During my domestic flights with AB I only experienced problems on the ground with (I guess) Globegroud people in TXL. But I blame it on the Berlin-Airport-Desaster.

Generally, I would recommend them for traveling in europe and probably for a TATL flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.