Wiki Posts
Search

First impression with Air Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Angry First impression with Air Berlin

Just flew Air Berlin J class from TXL to MIA via DUS on an AA award ticket. Here’s a summary of my experience:

Check in:
Arrived at 5:15am for 6:30am departure. No line at check in counter. Agent was rude and confrontational. I was told to check my roller on because it’s over weight limit. No problem. I always carry an extra foldable bag just for these occasions. I tried to tell her that I would take my valuables out before checking my bag. She wouldn’t let me finish my sentence and kept saying no while raising her voice at the same time. That attracted quite a bit of unwanted attention.

Score: 0 out of 10

Lounge:
Didn’t know there was one in TXL until boarding started. I saw quite a few people coming down to the gate from the 2nd floor. Not sure there is an elite waiting area up on the 2nd floor. Obviously the agent didn’t tell me about it. Or may be I’m not eligible to enter?
The one in DUS is not the best I've been to. Ok ... it's better than the SAS lounge in ORD that CX uses.

Score: 2 out of 10 (for DUS lounge)

In flight service:
Nothing special.
Pre departure drink consists of water or orange juice.
Hot towel service after take off.
2 hot meal services.
Average FAs … disappeared into the galley after meal services.

Score: 5 out of 10

Food:
The food is best described as Y meal served with silverware.

Score: 5 out of 10

Seat:
Similar to AA domestic 762 F seat. It’s ok for a day flight.

Score: 6 out of 10

Entertainment:
Small screen. Fair selection of movies and shows in a loop.

Score: 6 out of 10

Other tidbits:
I was traveling alone and had row 1 all to myself until a FA came up and asked if I wanted to move. Apparently a couple had just paid for upgrade from Y to J and wanted to seat together. I agreed to move (which I regretted tremendously). I first moved back to row 5. My new seatmate promptly complained loudly to the FA. I don’t understand German but I believe he told the FA he is an AB elite and as such he is entitled to have the entire row to himself. Not wanting to cause any more problems, I moved to the last row. This time my seatmate didn’t say a word which is fine by me.

Conclusion:

I wouldn’t fly Air Berlin long haul unless it’s absolutely necessary or they vastly improve their service.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:09 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Sounds like they should be avoided at all cost.

Just out of curiosity though -- why didn't you inquire about the lounge in TXL. It would appear to me that since TXL is their main hub they would naturally have a lounge there.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Additional Pierce of Information would be great: how much would you have paid for this in cash? I use them here and then for a daylight and the fares are more than reasonable. You get what you pay for.....
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:10 am
Original Poster

I had totally forgotten about asking for the lounge location. I was too occupied with having sure I had all my valuables with me after checking my roller on.

I agreed that I would fly Air Berlin if the price is right. It's hard to say how much though. It all depends on what other airlines flying the same route are charging. Their fare would have to be at a substantial discount before I would consider flying them.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, WN, SPG
How heavy was your roller? My partner and I are flying TXL-MIA (nonstop) in J on AA award tickets in early September and I would like to be prepared.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: AB Topbonus
In J u have 2 pieces / pax. so no worries.

Checking carry-ons is pretty new on AB flights, never happend to me. Prob. due to newly introduced no frills fares.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, WN, SPG
I was asking the OP the weight of his carry-on that he was forced to check because I don't want to run afoul of the same problem and be forced to check mine.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:47 pm

Just FYI: You could have used the BA lounge at TXL, which I think is quite decent for its size.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ZKOKA
Just FYI: You could have used the BA lounge at TXL, which I think is quite decent for its size.
I agree. I was in the BA lounge a few weeks ago, and considering the relatively low volume of OW traffic going through TXL these days, I too was surprised by the lounge. Considering the lack of pretty much anything useful as far as food or seating goes airside, it's a welcome respite.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

The check in agent didn't tell me how much I was over limit by. I'm guessing I was over by a couple of kilos ...

I didn't know you can have 2 pieces of carry on flying J. Otherwise I would have no problem shifting some stuff over to my other bag and carry both on.

I was at the end of my DONE4 and had flown 6 segments leading up to this AB flight. None of the other airlines CX,BA,QF and even DL had a problem with my roller on. I just assumed I wouldn't have a problem with AB.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Par for the course

Sorry to hear about your experience with AB, OP. While I have never flown AB myself, somehow I can relate to your experience totally. Sounds very Teutonic to me, pretty much like LH used to be about 10-15 years ago. AB's heritage lies in the charter carrier LTU, and that could explain the attitude of their staff as well as management. If you saw the passengers that flew with LTU, you would think that LTU stood for Lumpen Transport Unternehmen.

Too bad that OW can only enlist new members such as this...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:59 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FedUp2
Sorry to hear about your experience with AB, OP. While I have never flown AB myself, somehow I can relate to your experience totally. Sounds very Teutonic to me, pretty much like LH used to be about 10-15 years ago. AB's heritage lies in the charter carrier LTU, and that could explain the attitude of their staff as well as management. If you saw the passengers that flew with LTU, you would think that LTU stood for Lumpen Transport Unternehmen.

Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:02 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by phxfqtv
I was asking the OP the weight of his carry-on that he was forced to check because I don't want to run afoul of the same problem and be forced to check mine.
From AB web site

Cabin baggage
An item of cabin baggage can weigh up to a maximum of 6 kg and its dimensions must not exceed 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm. According to the fare and service class booked, you can take the following cabin baggage allowances on board with you:
Passengers in airberlin’s business class may take a second item of cabin baggage weighing up to 6 kg on board (except on flights to / from the USA and Canada: one item of hand luggage).
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:43 am

Thanks for the report.

I am thinking about flying AB on a similar route (with AA miles, to avoid high BA fees). I am guessing this is also why you flew AB? Any thoughts on whether you think it is worth paying more in fees for BA?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FedUp2

I belong to the passengers that flew LTU once or twice a month to PMI. I belong to the passengers that flew the regularly to New York and I am not sure what you want to express by Lumpen Transport Unternehmen.

Btw: AB heritage does not result from the heritage of LTU. Most, if not all of its domestic travel is based on dba's operation, most too the intra Europe is original Air Berlin and the holiday destinations are LTU and Air Berlin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.