Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Collecting miles and AA award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB Plat, SK Gold, KL Silver

Having changed from AY+ (Gold) to AB topbonus (Gold thru SK *G status match) I'm happy to have noticed;
- flying my typical route HEL-TXL-HEL in typical booking class gives me 2.800 status miles + 2.000 award miles for "My Route" over 2.300 had I stayed at AY+
- I will qualify for OW Gold @AB after 18 such RT over 40 had I stayed at AY+

Well, AY gives some additional benefits but compared with the number of flights needed there is no need to discuss that.

Today I checked the possibilities of using topbonus miles on OW carriers. So far AY has not promoted this on their Internet site and I don't know if that was possible eventhough OW says something else http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/earning-...deeming-miles/. I might be wrong here but if I compare the number of AY and AB miles needed for HEL-JFK-HEL I think that says it all:

- AB topbonus Europe-North America RT for 60.000 in Y and for 120.000 in J
- AY+ HEL-JFK for 125.000 in Y and for 200.000 in J

Am I missing here something or is AB simply in these aspects so much better than AY Plus a.k.a. AY-?

I interpret to the AB award chart so that even e.g. HEL-BER-JFK-SFO w/ AA was the 60.000 or 120.000 and the route not available using AY+ at all?

Does anyone have experience using topbonus miles for AA award flights? How much does AB charge for sucharges (compared with AY)?

Last edited by FRA-AY; Apr 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm Reason: typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.