New new J coming to airberlin

Hide Wikipost
Old May 12, 14, 3:05 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hillrider
Wiki Link
As of 9 May 2014, The last Airbus A330-200 has recently being fitted with airberlin’s all-new Business Class. This means that airberlin is now the only German airline with complete horizontal FullFlat seats on every Business Class long-haul flight. Thanks to the mainly single-seat arrangement guests can enjoy even more privacy and access to the aisle from any seat. Gourmet menus and premium wines from Sansibar round off a premium travel experience. Source
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 21, 14, 4:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Flew AB7431 LAX-DUS on Oct 6.
Concur with Brendamc's assessment of seats for couples.
We took the GH or GK combo (depends on aircraft config) and we could talk without craning our heads.
The EF seats are too confining.
Comparing to AA 777-300ER biz class (flight home), The seats are narrower & shorter (I'm 6'2" so could not lay my body flat) and had less padding. The AB IFE did not have nearly the selection but it was a night flight so 1 movie was enough. Food and service (13 AB biz seats (not full) v. 52 AA biz seats(full)) was better on AB. The FA was dedidated to one section whereas AA did service by committee, seemed less personal.
DUS was ridiculously easy to connect. 10mins walk to Passport Control & then 5mins to AB lounge (no security to go thru). Not much hot food but a view of the flight line & a shower too!
All in all I would fly AB again
Old Oct 21, 14, 5:51 pm

Programs: A3 *S
My wife and I flew the EF Honeymoon seats JFK to DUS. We both really enjoyed it. And it was nice to be able to watch the same movie together in flight (We started the movie at the same time on both screens).

Having said that, we are both only 5'8" tall, so we had no problems stretching out on the lie-flat seat, as some taller folks have complained about!

We would definitely take the EF seats again if given the opportunity.

Last edited by fizban; Oct 23, 14 at 3:03 pm
Old Oct 23, 14, 1:45 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Airberlin now is flying STR(Stuttgart)-AUH with an A320.
I was trying to find the seatmap and a description of the seats.
What I found is
- seatmap for the flight is showing 10 seats (2-2, 2-2 and then 2)
- press release from air berlin talks about 12 business class seats
- airberlin website shows only the economy only A320
- seatguru same
- called air berlin. The on hold advertising talks about their new business class where every seat has aisle access and is convertible into a complete flat bed
- Talked to the agent. She could not find out what kind of seats they had but told me that they have only two seats in business class (that is all they can see in their system)
- found a picture on the air berlin website on a blurb aboutthe new flight where seats look like the last century business recliners (similar to US domestic F).

Any ideas how to find out what kind of seats they have on the 320?
Old Oct 24, 14, 5:20 am
gkl

Programs: FB Platinum, LH M&M Silver, SPG/Marriott Platinum Elite, GHA Black
German forums say they will have indeed the old-fashioned recliner seats in a 2-2 configuration, similar to what EY has in their A320s or what US airlines offer as domestic F.
I personally would not pay the full J price, when I get a full flat bed out of MUC/FRA/ZRH, just to name a few EY-destinations around STR. However, for a better price and on the day flight, I might hop on the STR (or VIE) A320 service to AUH.
Old Dec 9, 14, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I am flying TXL-AUH at the end of the month. I was in 3A, a window, but I have now been moved to 2K which is also a window (so 3A doesn't exist). I presume this is because I am now on a J2.0 aircraft...

2K actually looks quite nice according to this blog, it is basically a 'bulkhead' seat with more space in front:

http://travel.bart.la/2014/12/08/air...rta/#more-7600

Old Dec 22, 14, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I just got notified that the seat on one of my AUH-TXL segments (1/5/2015) got changed to 2A. Looks like this means it's on the updated cabin.
Easy distinction (I assume this is correct):
6A exists = updated cabin
6C exists = regular cabin (also fully flat etc)
Old Dec 24, 14, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by BahrainLad View Post
I am flying TXL-AUH at the end of the month. I was in 3A, a window, but I have now been moved to 2K which is also a window (so 3A doesn't exist). I presume this is because I am now on a J2.0 aircraft...

2K actually looks quite nice according to this blog, it is basically a 'bulkhead' seat with more space in front:

http://travel.bart.la/2014/12/08/air...rta/#more-7600

Well, I maybe spoke too soon. According to CMT, I am still in 2K. But according to EF, 2K no longer exists, 2H is occupied and 6C is blocked with a 'X' symbol.

I give up.
Old Dec 26, 14, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by El_Duderito View Post
I just got notified that the seat on one of my AUH-TXL segments (1/5/2015) got changed to 2A. Looks like this means it's on the updated cabin.
Easy distinction (I assume this is correct):
6A exists = updated cabin
6C exists = regular cabin (also fully flat etc)

What is the difference between the Updated cabin and the regular cabin?
Old Dec 29, 14, 2:02 pm
gkl

Originally Posted by DreamTrip View Post
What is the difference between the Updated cabin and the regular cabin?
same seats, only a slightly different config with other window/aisle seats
Old Dec 30, 14, 7:26 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Unterwegs View Post
Airberlin now is flying STR(Stuttgart)-AUH with an A320.
I was trying to find the seatmap and a description of the seats.
What I found is
- seatmap for the flight is showing 10 seats (2-2, 2-2 and then 2)
- press release from air berlin talks about 12 business class seats
- airberlin website shows only the economy only A320
- seatguru same
- called air berlin. The on hold advertising talks about their new business class where every seat has aisle access and is convertible into a complete flat bed
- Talked to the agent. She could not find out what kind of seats they had but told me that they have only two seats in business class (that is all they can see in their system)
- found a picture on the air berlin website on a blurb aboutthe new flight where seats look like the last century business recliners (similar to US domestic F).

Any ideas how to find out what kind of seats they have on the 320?
I assume you found out about that specific seat already in the meantime More info here:http://www.airliners.de/codeshare-et...bu-dhabi/34297

If not I just flew the new route in C the other day: There are 12 leather craddle/recliner seats (2+2), 2 crew are serving the cabin, lounge access in STR is BA lounge, Gate 344 used for C pax boarding, Chauffeur Service provided in STR and AUH, ipad tablets for IFE and Wifi.

Main three course meal after takeoff (lunch) and snack prior to arrival into AUH.

The seat is a very old school cradle/recliner seat nowhere near the flat bed product in the A330. Actually, it has no headrest to speak off where you might lean on, the leather upholstery makes it even worse, the footrest is a joke, seat handle is manually, there are power sockets though. The seat is ok for the day time flight but should be horrible for a redeye...that is why I do not look forward to my return flight (same seat but Niki flight to VIE).

Conclusion: the nonstop flight itself is a nice treat for STR residents, service and food quite good, IFE ok but the seat is Premium Eco at best. I wouldn't pay a C fare on that one (or take an EY flight proper for the redeye return flight to MUC/FRA/DUS at least). I still prefer QR from FRA or MUC and take a rental or train from/to STR for seat comfort reasons over that nonstop service.

Last edited by ngfan; Dec 30, 14 at 8:11 am
Old Jan 3, 15, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just curious - what's a "good" price for AB J across the pond? Seeing ORD-TXL-FCO (TXL-FCO on AZ metal) for around $2 K one way - almost willing to bite as it's a surprise trip for the wife and I (anniversary). In contrast, one way in Y is around $1200. Used miles for J seats on the way back already so that's taken care of. Also helps that J would earn full EQM on AA.
Old Jan 4, 15, 5:09 am
gkl

Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
Just curious - what's a "good" price for AB J across the pond? Seeing ORD-TXL-FCO (TXL-FCO on AZ metal) for around $2 K one way - almost willing to bite as it's a surprise trip for the wife and I (anniversary). In contrast, one way in Y is around $1200. Used miles for J seats on the way back already so that's taken care of. Also helps that J would earn full EQM on AA.
I would consider this a normal price, based on a round-trip that would be around $4k.
However the one way fare will be hard to beat, as most airlines price the one way fare much closer to the round-trip fare. So in case you have not enough miles for another ticket or find no availability, i would go for this fare.
Old Jan 5, 15, 1:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
If you are going to spend $$$, you're probably better off spending on real J offered by other TATL airlines.
Old Jan 14, 15, 11:56 pm

Does anyone know what the Business Class menu on TXL-JFK route is like this Jan?
Old Sep 2, 15, 12:55 pm

Programs: American life Plat
Unhappy J seats feel cramped

I am 6ft 200lb and felt confined in the AB J seat on A330. The notice to "don't trap you feet" when the seat is moved forward is for real. But, I had trouble getting my feet up. A large person will have real troubles getting into the seat.

My wife and I were in row 1 E&F, the center seats.

I have flown J on AA 767, 777, 77W and BA 777. QF 747. The J seats on all are better that AB.

Search this Thread