Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Will AB offer J class on short haul flights now that they are in OW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond

I was wondering if AB might start J class service on short haul flights to further harmonize with OW. Nothing fancy mind you, maybe free baggage, lounge access, free food and a seat blocked between you and the next PAX. Think similar to the way KLM does it. It would cost them very little to do it this way. Any thoughts??
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:15 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Interesting question.

Just my gut-feeling: I guess not. If they would do this it would have to be done on the whole network and on short haul and intra-german flights I think they established their idea of a one class service which is a notch above the eco service of competitors.

But you never know what the new management thinks of. And what big brother Etihad thinks of it and wants for their connecting pax...
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
ralfkrippner, I am going to guess the opposite. I can't think of a single global airline alliance that has a carrier with only plain economy seats on even short haul flights. LAN, for example, does the blocked seat & curtain for their premium economy seats near the front. This probably costs them almost nothing. AB already has lounges in place that they can provide to upgrade the experience for connecting pax. What AB has going for it is that it is already a nice airline so it should not be shock for OW pax seeing it for the first time.

But of course no one knows. With less than 20 days to go until they are a partner, I still have many, many unanswered questions.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
ralfkrippner, I am going to guess the opposite. I can't think of a single global airline alliance that has a carrier with only plain economy seats on even short haul flights.
Welcome to Lufthansa.

S.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by Monty_GER
Welcome to Lufthansa.

S.
Well, Lufthansa blocks the middle seat and offers decent bagage allowance and a better catering upfront. So do most EU airlines and AB could do the same without much hardware changes.

It has always struck me that Easyjet, one of the better European airlines in terms of service (Yes, you pay for food and drinks but it is good quality stuff far better than what you get on AF and for which you end up paying whether you want it or not...) has such a restrictive baggage policy that it is completely unusable as an add-on to a Business Class transatlantic flight. They lose tens of thousands of pax such as me who otherwise would like them as a separate tikcket connection.

My guess is that AB, if the OW and Etihad links work, will end up with a short haul Business Class
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:05 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Yoe definitely have a point with the luggage allowance flying an AB connector in eco (due to no biz) to a ow flight in biz.

I would hope for a biz offering, at least for getting biz miles credited for all segments on a connecting ticket. But I doubt it.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Well, Lufthansa blocks the middle seat and offers decent bagage allowance and a better catering upfront.
Right. But the post I was responding to was talking about the seats.

So do most EU airlines and AB could do the same without much hardware changes.
Correct.

My guess is that AB, if the OW and Etihad links work, will end up with a short haul Business Class
Yes. I would be surprised.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'd think introducing a basic business class for many if not all routes will happen for a whole host of reasons: it's so easy to do, it's equally easy to adjust the rows for which it will and won't be offered, it will most likely pay for itself (or better) with the extra revenue, it vastly facilitates integration with partner airlines, and it wouldn't hurt the AB brand as an affordable airline.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:45 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I was wondering if AB might start J class service on short haul flights to further harmonize with OW. Nothing fancy mind you, maybe free baggage, lounge access, free food and a seat blocked between you and the next PAX. ?
As now:
Free food, i.e. snacks, is already available for all
Blocked seat if 3+3 configuration and you are a Gold TB (and you do not change seat) as long as plane not full
Lounge (elite get access)

By the way, what's about BA domestic Biz ? It's already now as AB in the EU.
If just for the lounge for a full AB Y could be easily implemented lounge access.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: AB Topbonus
Originally Posted by Volvic
As now:
Blocked seat if 3+3 configuration and you are a Gold TB (and you do not change seat)

never happened to me. not even on bizz feeder. AB didn't manage ticket me on booked seats on last 6 flights. On NIKI operated flights I seem to end up in the bumpy back of the cabin, although booked 1st row. Maybe for a better gaze at the jeans wearing FAs?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Hold Seat Free for Gold

well, for me this benefit worked fine
but
priority boarding ... NEVER
free XL only 60%

* The "Hold Seat Free" is not binding and is only offered if available. There is no firm booking of a "Hold Seat Free". Passengers have no legal entitlement to a "Hold Seat Free".
* A "Hold Seat Free" cannot be allocated at check-in. This benefit is linked to the seat reservation system.
* A "Hold Seat Free" may be kept free either to the left or right of the seat chosen by the Gold member (or his/her group). Passengers cannot influence this decision, made in advance, to allocate the seat to the left or right.
* In principle, a "Hold Seat Free" can only be offered for a seat immediately adjacent to the passenger. Therefore, it is not possible for the aisle to be between the Gold member's seat (or his/her group) and the "Hold Seat Free".
* If there are rows of two seats, no "Hold Seat Free" is offered, i.e. the seat next to the seat of a Gold member is not kept free in these circumstances.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:23 pm

thx volvic,

lol. priority boarding works on AirAsia and Southwestern only. I prefer final calls anyway.

any documentation on the munchies benefit?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:37 am

Wink

Originally Posted by bobberle101
any documentation on the munchies benefit?
munchies documentation
but benefit is a big word; just expect a drink (not alcoholic of course or you have to pay for the booze) and a simple snack. On Long-haul a bit better, just a bit.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Volvic
As now:
Blocked seat if 3+3 configuration and you are a Gold TB (and you do not change seat) as long as plane not full
Lounge (elite get access)

By the way, what's about BA domestic Biz ? It's already now as AB in the EU.
If just for the lounge for a full AB Y could be easily implemented lounge access.
When I mentioned free food I had and still do hope for short haul J the description will read:

"Depending on flight duration, you will be presented with a complimentary selection from our Sansibar gourmet menu."
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:00 pm

@shadesofgrey1x &
@Volvic

"free munchies" ain't gold benefit nor for C feeder, proved by documentation presented. maybe you were craved by Y snacks, or we were missing the topic. "free booze" in any matter would compensate.

btw: on Niky operated they wouldn't sell me any alc. beverages even it was on the menu.

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.