Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye bye airberlin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Unhappy Bye bye airberlin

They did just send me a newsletter with a chocolate heart and small "thank you" note. It almost brought tears to my eyes, for real.

I thought for weeks if I should send a short letter to their employees. Well, maybe someone would feel good after reading it, so I finally did send it hoping someone will still read it.

Oh, that was a great time with several hundreds of flights I had with them during the last years, IMHO best long range C from EU to US (ok, right after SQs FRA-JKF-FRA route which is tough to beat). IMHO the best intra european carrier one could get (things go wrong everywhere if you fly enough, but less with them and always solved pleasantly when it happened to me).
I could go on for an hour praising them, but let's keep it to this right here.

So sad to see them go.

Bye bye and thanks a lot
seawolf, KIXJNB and headingwest like this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
In-flight staff experience have always been great for me.

Management policies, not so sure, such as not really providing preferred seating for OWS/OWE, the horrible long haul hard product they called J, always chicken or pasta on long haul Y meals.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: All of 'em
I've only been on them for two ultra-short hops...FRA-TXL and TXL-SZG but great flights nonetheless. Auf wiedersehen!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
As a long-time BAEC member relocated to VIE, I've really appreciated having an option other than OS (not that OS are terrible). I've only every travelled short-haul with AB and HG but always enjoyed the flights and the OneWorld benefits - even preferred seatIng (well at least towards the front of the aircraft) if you are quick when online checking opens.

I was looking at the AB app on my phone today and feeling sad it would be redundant after tomorrow. I wish all the AB and HG staff the best for the future.

Shuttle
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
A sad fairwell to Air Berlin. Great staff. Loved the heart shaped chocolates on arrival getting off the gate.

Took my last AB flight on Sunday TXL to FKB.

Will sadly miss you 😔😰
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Goodbye video

For longhaul I was lucky enough to only Encounter their new and great J product (they had it for the last few years only, 1-2-1) - finally single seats at the side, "honeymoon" seats for couples and alternating dual seats with a divider in between. Long and wide enough for large guys like me to sleep, fully flat and also great for sitting.

By the way, did you see this great video from Hamburg Miniaturwunderland (they have small scale models of everything, e.g. airports and airplanes) with the melody of "candle in the wind" and the text adjust to airberlin while still staying Close to the original song text ^:

https://www.facebook.com/MiniaturWun...7504794374988/

Your engines flamed out long before - your legend never will...[/

Last edited by zap7; Oct 27, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Thanks AB for all the good travels in central Europe, without a need to connect in LHR, HEL or MAD, and without the need to fly LH or AF. I will miss you. Will miss flying OW as well
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Such a pity
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I am so disappointed myself. They cease operations. They couldn't stay for any much longer. Surely we will miss AB.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AB A32S in storage at SXF:

Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:12 am

Are the Eurowings aircraft ex Air Berlin?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Those are some of the 32 A320/A319 that operated for EW.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:13 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Those are some of the 32 A320/A319 that operated for EW.
I thought that EW keeps those 320s flying... did AB have spare planes painted in the EW color scheme?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Just received my new Classic topbonus membership card by post!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by cas_de
I thought that EW keeps those 320s flying... did AB have spare planes painted in the EW color scheme?
I think that EW will take over the leases of the aircraft but they need to recruit and train the new hires to EW standards before operating them. Hence why EW are wet leasing alot of planes atm to keep the slots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.