Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Final flight goes "Top Gun" and does a tower fly by.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Final flight goes "Top Gun" and does a tower fly by.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by smala01
haha suspended from a dissolved airline?

Go around and left turn. Passengers briefed, ATC approved, everyone loved it. Non event... move on.

However wasn't the Cathay/Emirates (i forget) chief pilot sacked for doing something like this when the CEO was on board a while ago on the delivery flight from Seattle (where its usual to do a fly over/go around) due to insurance reasons..?
The cargolux 748 delivery flight was ok, but the wing wave was done too low.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by krzysz
Interestingly, the aircraft that flew the final flight from Miami is no longer listed as an AB aircraft, but as owned by GECAS (an aircraft leasing company):

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-abxa

Correspondingly, D-ABXB is with BCI Aircraft Leasing, and D-ABXG was flown from DUS to SNN two days ago https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-abxg and is now listed with Avolon.
Air Berlin never owned the A330 themselves. They were always leasing aircrafts. This was also the main reason Air Berlin had to suspend their long distance service because the leasing company canceled the contract..
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: none
Rhetorical Question: Anyone ever been on a flight that had a "go around"?

Answer: Yes. It happens hundreds of times.

Ever been to an airshow?

The plane doesn't land, it goes around the field, and then eventually lands. Not a safety hazard, even if "someone" on the ground thinks it is and says so on the internet,
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Rhetorical Question: Anyone ever been on a flight that had a "go around"?

Answer: Yes. It happens hundreds of times.

Ever been to an airshow?

The plane doesn't land, it goes around the field, and then eventually lands. Not a safety hazard, even if "someone" on the ground thinks it is and says so on the internet,
So what you say is, that we can already be happy, if the pilot doesn‘t try a looping, just because he is in the mood for that?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by thbe
So what you say is, that we can already be happy, if the pilot doesn‘t try a looping, just because he is in the mood for that?
Oh come on. The pilots, crew, passengers and tower are seeing the airline on approach for the last time. The passengers were informed and excited and the manoever was approved by the tower, who applauded the action. That the pilot was suspended from the job he no longer would have anyway is just playing to the media. In my book, he’s one cool guy.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
The passengers were informed and excited and the manoever was approved by the tower, who applauded the action.
Got any evidence for this?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ObserverA3
Got any evidence for this?
There are you tube clips from inside the aircraft.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Oh come on. The pilots, crew, passengers and tower are seeing the airline on approach for the last time. The passengers were informed and excited and the manoever was approved by the tower, who applauded the action. That the pilot was suspended from the job he no longer would have anyway is just playing to the media. In my book, he’s one cool guy.
I don't agree. Aviation is no playground. It doesn't matter if it's the airline's last fly from the US, the purser's birthday or a good friend of a passenger's neighbor's aunt's dog's name day.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by thbe
I don't agree. Aviation is no playground. It doesn't matter if it's the airline's last fly from the US, the purser's birthday or a good friend of a passenger's neighbor's aunt's dog's name day.
It is no playground, as you say, but also not automatically dangerous just because it is out of the ordinary. The manoever was safe and controlled and I wish some people would stop trying to make something more out of it.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Well if it turns out it actually was safe and controlled, I'm pretty sure BFU (or whoever is investigating this) will clear the pilots soon enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.