Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Has anyone already closed their AB credit card?

Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, AF Silver, IHG Gold, Sixt Plat,

The 5% cash back promotion was a nice attempt by LBB but considering the annual fee for (my card) is 89,90...

I am still holding on to mine to see what comes of it.

Just curious.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:17 am

i´ll see what happens after sep 17. i am selectively using my ab credit card for those items that are eligible for cashback. everything else is on my LH card these days.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:07 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Same situation here - using the AB card for those payments with cashback; have just prepaid for a cruise next year via my travel agent which should save me several hundred bucks.

For any other payments and probably for the future I'll use my amex card to gain MR points which can be transferred into those currencies I need for hotel/flight awards quick and easy - and I guess MR points are one of the few currencies quite safe...

Not a fan of LH at the moment and the LH CC has lost most of its attraction for me with the lower earning and me losing SEN after >10 years at the end of last year...

Free now of any airline loyality and credit card affiliation to miles programs. I now only book best fare / best connection. Longhaul in premium classes I get the benfits anyhow, shorthaul I use Prioritypass now which comes with my Amex.

Looking forward to what LBB announces for AB card customers. If they offer a much better insurance package and lower yearly fee, low or no foreign currency fees and some kind of earning (eg. amazon points) or cashback I might stay with them at least as a backup to the amex card which is not accepted everywhere.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Same situation here - using the AB card for those payments with cashback; have just prepaid for a cruise next year via my travel agent which should save me several hundred bucks.

For any other payments and probably for the future I'll use my amex card to gain MR points which can be transferred into those currencies I need for hotel/flight awards quick and easy - and I guess MR points are one of the few currencies quite safe...

Not a fan of LH at the moment and the LH CC has lost most of its attraction for me with the lower earning and me losing SEN after >10 years at the end of last year...

Free now of any airline loyality and credit card affiliation to miles programs. I now only book best fare / best connection. Longhaul in premium classes I get the benfits anyhow, shorthaul I use Prioritypass now which comes with my Amex.

Looking forward to what LBB announces for AB card customers. If they offer a much better insurance package and lower yearly fee, low or no foreign currency fees and some kind of earning (eg. amazon points) or cashback I might stay with them at least as a backup to the amex card which is not accepted everywhere.
LBB already has an amazon co-branded card. I think the key will be what kind of bonus (first year free or similar) they offer to gold and platinum members who normally had the card free.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:26 am

Email received overnight... 5% cash back promotion has been extended to end of October, and additionally there is now 7% cash back when booking travel through LBB's affiliated travel agency.

However they are being a bit tricky since you only get the cash on November 30 and only if you have not cancelled your card by then, but nobody knows at this stage what will happen in the coming weeks with annual fees etc.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:30 am

Got the same info from LBB just now. Good thing - I'll use the card accordingly.

IMO this only makes sense if they plan to offer their customers an attractive new card soon. Maybe they are in talks with airlines/hotels or travel companies to find a new (mileage earning and burning) home. I would also hope for lower yearly fees and lower foreign currency fees. A better travel/car-insurance offer would be helpful too.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

I am also hoping they are in talks with other airlines/hotels/travel companies and would essentially just give everyone a "product change" to whatever they end up deciding to do. If it ends up just being a purely cash-back card the only reason I would keep it if they dramatically lowered the yearly fee.

I was also thinking of just canceling it all together and upgrading my Amex Gold to the Platinum and stick and use the LH credit card when Amex is not accepted...

Choices choices choices
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Has anyone received any update from LBB on what is happening with the card now?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by tsolaaa
Has anyone received any update from LBB on what is happening with the card now?
No, which I find quite strange. But in the last topbonus email a few days ago they mentioned the LBB card with the ongoing cashback. Maybe they prolong the cashback one more month?

I think I will cancel in December if they don't have something new to offer.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
No, which I find quite strange. But in the last topbonus email a few days ago they mentioned the LBB card with the ongoing cashback. Maybe they prolong the cashback one more month?

I think I will cancel in December if they don't have something new to offer.
Same here, I am getting annoyed just looking at it, constant reminder of this disaster.

If we do close the card come December, do we receive a prorated refund of the annual fee?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, *A Gold, Sixt Platinum, Etihad Gold
I just got an email from LBB offering a 10% cashback for all Amazon (among others) orders until December 24. Pretty neat for Christmas shopping I guess.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:15 am

I got that as well yesterday. LBB seems quite motivated not to lose the credit card customers, but at the moment each of these promotions is month-by-month without any longer-term strategy.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:27 am
Original Poster

I just wrote asking them to register me for advertising mail as I don't receive any of these promotions.

The thing that is really bugging me is that they haven't updated the annual cost of the cards yet. As TB is now gone and AB is withdrawing from OW, the pricing scheme for annual cards don't make sense.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:32 am
Original Poster

So it looks like there aren't any current promotions. They haven't changed the pricing structure and the Amazon promotion for December 2017 has ended.

Has anyone closed now? Thoughts?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:10 pm

In my case, there is no way I can offset the 90 Euro yearly fee with Germania awards. I will be closing well before deadline for renovation. I still hope to find usage to my over 30k but certainly it does not look promising.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.