Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:40 pm

Well, I'll probably still try regardless and hopefully not get marooned. Might see what it costs to upgrade at the airport... I suppose a little bit of money is better than nothing? Lowest "bid" for one is still 520EUR If any of y'all happen to have upgrade certs to burn lemme know

Originally Posted by Often1
This.

The English language announcement states "no later than" October 15.

In addition, when cockpit crew recently staged a short-term labor action against their own self-interest, flight cancellations now mean that AB is unable to rebook onto other carriers (depending on when the ticket was issued). While that may generate an EC 261/2004 claim, AB is unable to pay those, so it is not a worthwhile avenue.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
All of this talk around the CEO's pay reminds me of a recent local flap: A local city was in deep trouble but the City Manager got a raise. Why? Turns out he averted an outright bankruptcy and met his targets.

Something else to consider: As deeply as Ethiad was funding Air Berlin, they functionally paid the CEO's salary. If anyone got ripped off on this, it's not Air Berlin...it's Ethiad.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
If anyone got ripped off on this, it's not Air Berlin...it's Ethiad.
Etihad ripped themselves off. Their poor investment decisions were entirely of their own making.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
There's a lot of talk about long haul cancellations, but what about short haul flights? I have a flight in January: BUD - ARN. Seems like that's just not going to happen right?

Right now, i can get another flight that changes things a lot for us, but will work, for $26 more per ticket. Should I just re-book?
Check this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...4-service.html

There are indication that Nov 1 *might* be the day of ceasing all operations.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Has NIKI continued to operate ?
I wonder if those who bought TopBonus points via NIKI can claim the cost back against NIKI ?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:32 pm

After two phone calls and five hours on hold, I was able to get a friendly person on the other end of the phone at AB, who rerouted my trip home on 9.10.17 from LIN-DUS-SFO to VCE-DUS-SFO since AB deleted AB 8740 & AB 8741 LIN-DUS and DUS-LIN flights as of 29.9.17. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, for now at least.

Last edited by jonnyincali; Sep 28, 2017 at 11:05 pm Reason: Previously listed all LIN-DUS as canceled.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by jonnyincali
AB deleted all LIN-DUS flights as of 29.9.17
Are you sure? Tickets are still being sold for Oct.
How did you find out?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by LukeO9
Are you sure? Tickets are still being sold for Oct.
How did you find out?
I see it now:
https://www.airberlin.com/site/affil...chungen_en.pdf

...but only 2 flights (AB 8740 & AB 8741). Others still operating.....for now.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
German news magazine DER SPIEGEL and news paper Süddeutsche Zeitung report that is is possible that AB will no longer be able to fly from 28 October on. This would apply for own financed flights. In case of a sell-off from parts, then these parts would be able to continue. This does not apply for Niki and LG Walter.

Last edited by Scrooge McDuck; Oct 9, 2017 at 8:43 am Reason: added information from Süddeutsche Zeitung
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:19 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Just a day ago I received a message about minor schedule change for a November flight. A flight that very likely never will happen. Is there any point for the insolvent company to do work on future schedules?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by intuition
Just a day ago I received a message about minor schedule change for a November flight. A flight that very likely never will happen. Is there any point for the insolvent company to do work on future schedules?
The point is that AB itself will most likely not be able to fly these flights. However, any airline taking over parts of AB seem to have the obligation from the takeover to keep the flights (and any decificts resulting from these parts) on their own.

In the end you will have to wait until it is clear which parts are taken by whom and which parts are not taken. Due date is still set for beginning of next week. Then you will have more claritiy if your flight is affected from any groundings, cancellations, reschedules or flights flying according to schedule.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
The point is that AB itself will most likely not be able to fly these flights. However, any airline taking over parts of AB seem to have the obligation from the takeover to keep the flights (and any decificts resulting from these parts) on their own.

In the end you will have to wait until it is clear which parts are taken by whom and which parts are not taken. Due date is still set for beginning of next week. Then you will have more claritiy if your flight is affected from any groundings, cancellations, reschedules or flights flying according to schedule.
Why on earth would another carrier or group acquiring an asset of AB from its insolvency administrator operate any service for which it isn't going to get paid?

AB has been paid for those tickets and the cash generated from those sales is held by the administrator for the benefit of AB's creditors, e.g. employees, aircraft leasing companies, fuel suppliers and the like. If there were enough cash to go around, AB would not be insolvent.

Unless it is somehow made a part of the deal, I don't see why buying an asset obligates one to do with that asset what its seller chose to do (and failed at doing).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I agree with Often1. At this point, it does appear bidders are interested in assets not operations.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by seawolf
I agree with Often1. At this point, it does appear bidders are interested in assets not operations.
A completely generic answer: one thing is what they are interested in, another is what are conditions on getting it. Negotiating some obligations on their part within the entire deal is plausible. It is somewhat wrong to see the negotiations as one sided picking up assets. These are negotiations, not LH coming into a shop and picking up a box of cereals.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what is actually being negotiated. So please don't anybody interpret my words as "there is hope for your flight to happen". That hope is rather slim.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by SK2751
A completely generic answer: one thing is what they are interested in, another is what are conditions on getting it. Negotiating some obligations on their part within the entire deal is plausible. It is somewhat wrong to see the negotiations as one sided picking up assets. These are negotiations, not LH coming into a shop and picking up a box of cereals.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what is actually being negotiated. So please don't anybody interpret my words as "there is hope for your flight to happen". That hope is rather slim.
I think, that your point of view is not really fair.

LH is not just a bidder. LH started negotiations with Etihad last year. Every other airline, company or business people were free to start negotiations with Etihad about AirBerlin more than a year ago, when Etihad lost the interest to burn billions of petrol dollars at AirBerlin and Alitalia.

And LH didn't just start negotiations a year ago. The already made deals with Etihad last, including a wet-lease of 38 AirBerlin jets.

So, yes, LH had more time to get prepared for that, because they started working on that deal more than a year ago. But the competitors are to blame about that. And time is very important for the deal, because only a fast deal can be about jets AND slots.

The truth is, that most of the competitors are not interested in buying AB's jet, because they prefer the scenario, that AB will lose its slots and half of them has to go to even that competitors.

And of course no one will take over AirBerlin as a whole company. That's 100% sure, because there is no serious bidder who offered for that scenario.

EasyJet has already reduced its bid from EUR 50 millions for 30 jets to a lower amount. Maybe even this part of the deal won't take place.

At this moment LH is the only serious bidder. The offer a significant amount of money and they are willing to fund the operation costs from end of October until the deal is finally closed.

So the negotiations are about, that no one wanted AirBerlin (who really wonders about that?) and even there is no one really fighting about the assets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.