Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
Originally Posted by kiez
Confirmed - official speech she said is a 'technical difficulty' to issue OW award tickets
Inofficially topbonus hotline just told me also confirmed ow and revenue bookings on other OW carriers (also with all flights HK-confirmed) will not be issued anymore until further notice...

E-mail forwarding of confirmation was manually stopped so you must write down the code online

However, she said it will not help as they will likely delete these bookings tomorrow morning

You can currently only use miles where Air Berlin seems to get revenue for doing so....
Just keeps getting better - for every manual booking code you tell them they send you a manual e-mail and tell you the booking was unsuccessful

PNR stays but they manual deleted the OW carrier flights out of all the bookings I told them
Those I did not tell them remained in tact but still did not ticket

So under no circumstances call

Just make a screenshot of booking confirmation
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So it is not possible to make any redemption bookings on Etihad? I need to book MCT to AUH...wish I had gone and done it yesterday.

I hope they dont start cancelling existing bookings...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:29 pm

I wonder if any airline (in any alliance) will pick up SFO-TXL, LAX-TXL, or ORD-TXL.
Berlin_traveler likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
Originally Posted by Concerto
So it is not possible to make any redemption bookings on Etihad? I need to book MCT to AUH...wish I had gone and done it yesterday.

I hope they dont start cancelling existing bookings...
Existing bookings should still be fine (unless you are on air berlin and less than say 2-3 month out and it is booked with topbonus miles)

No new bookings ticket apart from if you throw away your miles on air berlin

I tested and any inner german booking on air berlin itself in 6 months went through ticketing - no problem - they have no prob taking the miles and fees for a flight they know will not take place
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:43 pm

Existing bookings should still be fine (unless you are on air berlin and less than say 2-3 month out and it is booked with topbonus miles)

No new bookings ticket apart from if you throw away your miles on air berlin

I tested and any inner german booking on air berlin itself in 6 months went through ticketing - no problem - they have no prob taking the miles and fees for a flight they know will not take place
Are you sure it was no problem? I tried the same and did get a confirmation number but it didn't go through ticketing. No credit card charge and no mile deduction.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Moootz
Are you sure it was no problem? I tried the same and did get a confirmation number but it didn't go through ticketing. No credit card charge and no mile deduction.
That's what I am saying - and if you call them they will delete the booking
No more ticketing - of course they could not shut down Amadeus as then some people could not book revenue and award flight never taking place

But apparently auto ticketing was stopped for certain if not all bookings as OW carries know they would never get paid even the passenger fees
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
I wonder if any airline (in any alliance) will pick up SFO-TXL, LAX-TXL, or ORD-TXL.
I have an SFO - DUS flight booked in J using AA points. I have been trying to get J inventory on the SFO/LAX - TXL flights for my time period (end of August) and it has been impossible. Looking at EF, J is more than 60% booked, and I am assuming those are revenue passengers. This suggests it's a popular route (esp. SFO - TXL) so my hope is that someone will pick it up, though I can't see it being a OW carrier.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:55 pm

Makes you wonder..if BER had opened 5 years ago as advertised..whether this would still have happened.
Clay_C. and Berlin_traveler like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
I have an award ticket to issued by AA to fly on SFO-TXL-TLV route in two weeks. Wonder what my options are other than to hope that SFO-TXL flies, and then I can get out of Berlin somehow.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Nyurka
I have an award ticket to issued by AA to fly on SFO-TXL-TLV route in two weeks. Wonder what my options are other than to hope that SFO-TXL flies, and then I can get out of Berlin somehow.
As mentioned if your ticket is not issued by Air Berlin - you will be fine - you will be rerouted somehow
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:31 pm

As mentioned if your ticket is not issued by Air Berlin - you will be fine - you will be rerouted somehow
I don't know the rules, but I am not sure AA owes me transportation. It may be that they will refund miles and fees without penalty and that's that. Especially since they do not themselves fly to final destination, they'd have to get something from BA or Iberia or RJ and I don't know if they are obligated to do that instead of refund.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:34 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by irishguy28

I honestly don't think BA or QR would even notice if AB disappeared.
Well, there would be no oneWorld presence in Central Europe again (first Malev, now AB). The airlines left (IB, BA, AY, S7, soon EI?) are fairly 'peripheral'.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because the carrier is not financially viable and oneworld doesn't really need AB. Sure, it makes a few connections and routes within Europe a little easier on the alliance but overall it is an overlap, not a unique set of routes or airports.
Without AB, OneWorld has members only on the fringes of Europe - AY, BA, IB, so basically OW is out of the intra-European market. TXL and DUS are just so much more convenient to connect intra-Europe than LON, HEL or MAD/BCN. Not to mention Germany<->Europe p2p
Clay_C. and chrisljo like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TPJ
Well, there would be no oneWorld presence in Central Europe again (first Malev, now AB). The airlines left (IB, BA, AY, S7, soon EI?) are fairly 'peripheral'.
Why am I only seeing mentions of Central Europe - there's Eastern Europe, too. AB used to have 1 daily flight - although in the evening, which made connections to the US impossible without overnighting in Berlin but at least it was an option to having to book with BA - many places besides the East Coast still require an overnight in London but their fees are so high, it's a non-starter. And if you try to get anywhere in Europe, first, you have to pray that the routing is allowed, i. e. going all the way west to LHR and then to go east to your final destination, then, that you can afford to spend several hours in the air many times over what a direct flight would be. All IAG airlines are based so far west, they are useless for Eastern and Central European residents. S7 can't be viewed as quite European, although that's technically correct. So, we're left with AY, which is in a good location but has such a limited network that only suits residents of Finland. So, OW coverage of Europe is awful - it was bad enough with AB but without it, it's tragic.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AB topbonus Gold, IB+
And the topbonus Reward Shop is currently unavailable...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.