Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Hmm. Does anyone know which parts of AB Lufthansa are interested in?

I have a BA redemption booked on AB in January, TXL-JFK - what are my likely options here?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by opalfruit
I have a BA redemption booked on AB in January, TXL-JFK - what are my likely options here?
I think you are over stressing your self too much, BA has several TXL-LHR flights, your ticket would most likely change to TXL-LHR-JFK. As for what parts is LH interested, I do not know.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I got a flight this Friday and one in November. Guess like I'm covered by the bridge loan courtesy of German taxpayers.

I was surprised by the vast amount of award seats this week to/from JFK and DUS in both economy and business to the point where they initiated a same-day cancellation of one of the 2x daily flights, rebooked to the one that was operating and there were still seats available. Now I know why.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:34 am

So they are out of AirBerlin, Alitalia, and apparently sold their stake in Darwin to Adria Airways in Slovenia. That is the strangest move: Etihad Regional would have been able to function if they focused only on that airline in Europe. I do not see how Etihad is going to keep its alliance running. But the strategy was doomed to fail anyway, too much expansion in too-close markets: Alitalia, AirBerlin, Air Serbia, and Darwin/Etihad Regional are way too close geographically.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by opalfruit
Hmm. Does anyone know which parts of AB Lufthansa are interested in?
My guess would be whatever parts helps LH in fighting off FR and U2. So the focus will be on assets that can be deployed to LH's own LCC, namely EW and SN.

My view may be a bit simplistic. But I guess what it boils down to is that LH is not interested in strengthening its long-haul routes to North America. To the contrary, they'd be very happy if capacity on routes from DUS/STR/TXL to the US east coast is going down. But they surely don't want to give an opening to FR and U2 on the continent.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:38 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
But I thought only the ME3 received subsidies?

Now the German government and Lufthansa will sort it out...after Etihad provided millions of Euros already?

Where's the outage at Air Berlin?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Curious to see how this will play out with mileage rewards previously booked in the event they go completely belly up. I suppose one of the airlines will just take them over. Luft would probably be the most financially capable.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
I'm in this boat for a mid-November flight booked using AA miles on AB metal.

Should I contact AA to see if they are willing to re-book to pre-emptively address this issue?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:59 am

award ticket

Originally Posted by Miami305
I'm in this boat for a mid-November flight booked using AA miles on AB metal.

Should I contact AA to see if they are willing to re-book to pre-emptively address this issue?
I'm in the same boat and wondering the same thing.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
The German government gave the loan after AB had filed for insolvency, which makes them preferential creditors. They'll be at the very front of the queue if (IF!) AB finds any assets worth selling.

FRA slots or a dominant position at TXL anyone?

Lots of opportunities for new ads on airbridges at PMI too I suppose.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
The German government gave the loan after AB had filed for insolvency, which makes them preferential creditors. They'll be at the very front of the queue if (IF!) AB finds any assets worth selling.
Probably the reason Air Berlin decided to stop the application for a state guarantee a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Very sad news indeed, especially as I live in Vienna. Oneworld will now be very restricted from this part of the world.

I suppose it might be worth booking a few AB TATL economy redemption flights with BAEC, just to lock in the low charges. BA will likely reroute onto AA (main cabin extra) with no additional charges.

Will be interesting to see if the German government finds a way of 'bending' the rules for AB.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
Just tried to book 2 awards using Topbonus LHR-ZRH in May next year to shelf off the last 20k miles we had
Did not yet auto ticket - also did not receive confirmation e-mail on booking yet after 1.5 hours - which is unusual

But can see the bookings in my profile and Amadeus - FLights confirmed but not ticketed

I think the first thing that was blocked is award ticketing on other OW carriers
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by arollins
I think you are over stressing your self too much, BA has several TXL-LHR flights, your ticket would most likely change to TXL-LHR-JFK. As for what parts is LH interested, I do not know.
Oh, I'm not stressed at all.

Just wondering what the likely options will be: re-route on BA via LHR, IB via MAD, AY via HEL, LH direct to EWR, or maybe they'll still be running the service in 6 months time? I know no-one has a crystal ball, just interested.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
Originally Posted by kiez
Just tried to book 2 awards using Topbonus LHR-ZRH in May next year to shelf off the last 20k miles we had
Did not yet auto ticket - also did not receive confirmation e-mail on booking yet after 1.5 hours - which is unusual

But can see the bookings in my profile and Amadeus - FLights confirmed but not ticketed

I think the first thing that was blocked is award ticketing on other OW carriers
Confirmed - official speech she said is a 'technical difficulty' to issue OW award tickets
Inofficially topbonus hotline just told me also confirmed ow and revenue bookings on other OW carriers (also with all flights HK-confirmed) will not be issued anymore until further notice...

E-mail forwarding of confirmation was manually stopped so you must write down the code online

However, she said it will not help as they will likely delete these bookings tomorrow morning

You can currently only use miles where Air Berlin seems to get revenue for doing so....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.