Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Sweet spots for AB redemptions on partners with low taxes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.

Hi,

I don't have the answers here but I'm starting to look.

AB Topbonus miles can be used for redemptions against plenty of other airlines now and I'm wondering which partners offer the lowest taxes and if there are any really sweet spots for routes with partners for low miles+low taxes compared to others.

Any findings or ideas ?

AB's webpage with partner airlines listed:
http://www.airberlin.com/en-WW/site/...entType=redeem
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
AA

intra usa with AA is very cheap. 1usd to 15 usd depending on the routing

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hi,

I don't have the answers here but I'm starting to look.

AB Topbonus miles can be used for redemptions against plenty of other airlines now and I'm wondering which partners offer the lowest taxes and if there are any really sweet spots for routes with partners for low miles+low taxes compared to others.

Any findings or ideas ?

AB's webpage with partner airlines listed:
http://www.airberlin.com/en-WW/site/...entType=redeem
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by derpelikan
Thanks very much. I'll check that out.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AB Gold, LH FTL, ST ElitePlus, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, Melia Gold
About 'sweet spots' I was wondering about business class redemption. Do you have to call them, or is there any way business class availability shows up online too? So far I've tried to look at BA intra-EU, in Y it's BS since the taxes are higher than the fare with a direct booking via BA!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:12 am

^^^
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Unfortunately, the award flight cost 15k compare to other FFP that cost only 12.5k. Another options is to redeem on ex-AUH flights for no YQ. My favorite is AUH-SIN.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by J_rob129
Unfortunately, the award flight cost 15k compare to other FFP that cost only 12.5k. Another options is to redeem on ex-AUH flights for no YQ. My favorite is AUH-SIN.
Can you buy 70,000 redeemable miles for $495 with the other FFPs? The C2 folks like me can't open a ton of credit cards with huge bonuses, we mostly rely on purchased miles.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Can you buy 70,000 redeemable miles for $495 with the other FFPs?
This is what I did. I bought twice 70k miles also on my wife's topbonus account (now and at the time of previous NIKI promotion).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
the cost to acquire 15K miles is much cheaper than buying 12.5K miles in AA DL UA and US.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pbd456
the cost to acquire 15K miles is much cheaper than buying 12.5K miles in AA DL UA and US.
Very true, AB miles also it is alot harder to redeem compare to AA. Getting US-YYZ flight is almost impossible unless you route through DFW
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Very true, AB miles also it is alot harder to redeem compare to AA. Getting US-YYZ flight is almost impossible unless you route through DFW
try the call center?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I wish I could contribute more to this, because there must be more possibilities for interesting, good value redemptions than we seem to know about with AB. I was thinking that maybe out of AUH there might be some decent award routings with low taxes on Etihad, as mentioned in another thread, to Asia and elsewhere.

Definitely, award tickets on AA are good value, due to the low taxes and surcharges. But what about other carriers? Anything decent on S7 Airlines, or Darwin Airline, or LAN? Or maybe even Alitalia....?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Andoreasu
About 'sweet spots' I was wondering about business class redemption. Do you have to call them, or is there any way business class availability shows up online too?
Do we need to call for J availability on their partners, seems like the site is always showing Y? Anyone with experience on this matter?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Do we need to call for J availability on their partners, seems like the site is always showing Y? Anyone with experience on this matter?

Yes, you need to call.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
Yes, you need to call.
Thanks ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.