Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

JFK to TXL - does airberlin actually weight carry-on and hand luggage?

Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I know there's tons of questions like these, but since it's pretty specific to the airport, has anyone travelled with airberlin out of JFK? Did they weigh your carry-on and/or your hand luggage? If your luggage was overweight, were they lenient?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I don't know about JFK->TXL, but if you are returning the same route, then the risk is pretty high in TXL. Experienced this at least twice, and once was forced to check in.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:02 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
1 data point. Flew from JFK this past Jan, did not weigh my hand baggage in either direction.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:33 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Never seen them checking the baggage weight...

Note: last time I flew with hand baggage only, TSA has not accepted by mobile B/Pass. They said this was the instruction they were given by AB. I had to go back to the check-in counter to get a paper copy.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
In TXL, there will be a check.
If you wish to carry more carry-on luggage than your allowance is, than you may buy additional hand luggage.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: topbonus, qff, virgin velocity
I've only ever been checked once at TXL. I was over almost 5kg, but told them I had a laptop and a bottle of water, and they were fine with it.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE, A3*G, AA-EP, UA*S,
Flown on AB many intra-EU flights when I was based out of TXL and never been checked a single time. Might have been lucky, YMMV.

But the risk of it being checked at JFK vs TXL is much lower.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
IME - Chances of carry on weight being check is higher in TXL followed by DUS than JFK.

There are scales at the gate at DUS and JFK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.