Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB to introduce Business Class on European flights

AB to introduce Business Class on European flights

Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
fvw.de quotes AB management:

- bookings for european biz are good with 15.000 seats already reserved
- biz bookings strong intra Germany and on routes to ZRH
- they're looking into options of extending biz into more rows
Yes, I saw that press release as well. I flew to TXL-ARN-TXL this week and business class had one passenger each way (I sat in row two, so I should know). Outbound, he might have connected from an overseas flight, but on the return he was connecting to DUS. I did notice that the crew went out of her way to take care of him, even shaking his hand upon deplaning. But they have precious little to work with, given the BOB menu.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
fvw.de quotes AB management:

- bookings for european biz are good with 15.000 seats already reserved
- biz bookings strong intra Germany and on routes to ZRH
- they're looking into options of extending biz into more rows
No surprised about strong ZRH bookings. Many flights are showing J1 C1 D1 or similar. My flight this week was fully booked in Biz ... I had hoped for an op up since Y was also full, but the gate agent told me 4/4 revenue pax in J So for ZRH 4 seats in J is definitely not enough, BA often has 8-10 rows (although they are probably having more transfer pax).

Btw, shorthaul J cannot be booked as an award (only combined with long haul).

Last edited by swiss_global; Oct 28, 2016 at 10:43 am
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this new J service available on all AB shorthaul flights?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:08 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
sooner or later the plan is to spin off the leisure traffic, so the European Business Class will be reduced to the Hub traffic in and out of DUS/TXL and probably some domestic routes.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That means Lanzarote and other Canary Islands will go, if leisure traffic is spun off, even from the hub of DUS? That will be a shame if so.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Is this new J service available on all AB shorthaul flights?
Yes, it is. Including on the domestic routes.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
That means Lanzarote and other Canary Islands will go, if leisure traffic is spun off, even from the hub of DUS? That will be a shame if so.
I don't think this is quite clear yet, they might well keep some of the leisure routes from the hubs. It is also not clear what precisely the relationship between the new leisure group and the mainline AB will be.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
It appears to be in particular a downgrade of status benefits (row 1) and of catering on domestic and intra European flights. They ask me for double or three times the fare for the same service I currently receive for my cheap Eco ticket as a Platinum member
it depends of the flight destination, e.g AB 3888 TXL-LPA has 6 bunisess class seats

Last edited by RolfD; Nov 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:49 am

As platinum i received in the mail few days ago two upgrade vouchers to the new European business class.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: AB topbonus Gold, IB+
I have booked a seat in business class. Rows 1 and 2 were available on the right side and 1 on the left side. I always choose second row because I use several things during the flight and I have to store all of them if I am seating in row 1.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
A strange conversation with a cabin crew member on last night's TXL-VIE flight. While he was handing out the sandwiches I said to him that this will be stopping soon, won't it? He looked puzzled, so I repeated the question and he said 'NO'. What I didn't understand is whether he meant that they won't be stopping the sandwiches or that there will be no sandwiches!

Are they definitely being axed?
NIKI will still provide sandwiches and drinks, not airberlin
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: AB topbonus Gold, IB+
Not a really pleasant experience.

I have already flown in business class and I did not like the experience. As I said in a previous post, I booked a seat in the second row. When I was boarding I was informed they changed my seat from 2a to 1a. I asked for an explanation and they told me the flight was full and 1st row was more spacious. I did not feel like to argue so I took the seat. The crew stored all my stuff in the overhead compartments of two rows behind me because the stowage space above my row was occupied by staff stuff. And I had to take it after takeoff, the crew did not help. Only first row was available for business class as indicated in the headrest. They offered me a welcome drink before takeoff and a warm towel to wash my hands, and everything from the menu during the flight plus more beverages. I chose two snacks and main dish and they were lacking of both snacks. There was a pillow in the three seats. The middle seat is free, so I do not understand why three pillows, maybe to have less space. The tray table as you know is smaller and seats are separated by them folded so it is still less confortable. One positive thing is that my luggage was third in the belt so I did not have to wait as usually do even having the priority tag, maybe it was a coincidence. I did not enjoy the experience for the price I paid.

Last edited by spanishflyer; Nov 15, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Is it possible to upgrade using miles or by bidding for an upgrade on narrow-body flights? (specifically TXL-TLV would be of interest)
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:36 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
in case they mean Israel is in Europe, then that would be 18.500 miles for an ad hoc upgrade at the airport: (Eco light is not allowed, so minimum Eco Classic)
https://topbonus.airberlin.com/we/tb...e?locale=en_DE

Bidding is not (yet) available.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
They're allowing bidding for a free seat next to you, which I just wouldn't bother with for such short flights. Had it on all my flights recently. I was happy enough to pay 9 Euros for a seat reservation for my partner who was on one of the flights. Was also happy enough to pay for a snack and a craft beer, after all, the flights are ridiculously cheap at the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.