EU 261/2004 Compensation with AirBerlin

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 27, 17, 5:38 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: EU 261/2004 Compensation with AirBerlin
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 29, 17, 11:07 am
formerly wazow

Programs: SK EBD (*G), AB Plat (OWE)
I had a reasonable experience recently. First, completely canned email showing no understanding of what I wrote. After a complaint, a very quick payout. No vouchers talk.
Old Jun 29, 17, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AZ FA+, TK Elite, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Complained online via the web form. Got a response in about ten days asking for my bank details. Paid out 5 days later. No issues at all.
Old Jul 17, 17, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post
Complained online via the web form. Got a response in about ten days asking for my bank details. Paid out 5 days later. No issues at all.
Can you please provide a link to the form? Need to submit a claim for a party of 9 that reached our final destination >6 hours late, but cannot find the form anywhere, which I assume they do on purpose. Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 17, 4:08 am

Programs: LH FTL, UA Premier, AF Gold
https://www.airberlin.com/en/feedback/complaint
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:08 pm

hello!
can someone help me with my compensation?
im not sure if i can claim full 600 or not
so me and my family was flying from GOT to HCM but the flight to TXL was delayed by 2.5h which made us miss our connecting flight to AUH
we also landed in SXF because TXL closed at 10pm
in GOT they said we'd be assisted upon arrival but when we arrived no one was there and we were advised to check in at a hotel and then in the morning go to TXL
long story short we landed in HCM 16h later than planned

how much should i be asking for? 400 or 600 ?

thank you!
Old Jul 24, 17, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that by "connecting" you mean that you were each traveling on a single ticket GOT-AUH with intervening connections and that you arrived at AUH 4 or more hours later than originally scheduled, you are each due EUR 600. You did not provide the delay time at AUH, so it is impossible to give you an accurate answer.

In addition, presuming that it was AB that delayed you, you are entitled to have the reasonable costs of your hotel, food, and local transportation reimbursed.
Old Jul 25, 17, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Presuming that by "connecting" you mean that you were each traveling on a single ticket GOT-AUH with intervening connections and that you arrived at AUH 4 or more hours later than originally scheduled, you are each due EUR 600. You did not provide the delay time at AUH, so it is impossible to give you an accurate answer.

In addition, presuming that it was AB that delayed you, you are entitled to have the reasonable costs of your hotel, food, and local transportation reimbursed.
​​​​​​
yes it was a single ticket GOT-HCM with intervening connection in Berlin and AUH, sorry for not being clear. Didn't quite know how to explain and thank you so much for answering!
Old Jul 27, 17, 1:41 am

Programs: AB, EY, TK Gold
Originally Posted by kossamu View Post
hello!
can someone help me with my compensation?
im not sure if i can claim full 600 or not
so me and my family was flying from GOT to HCM but the flight to TXL was delayed by 2.5h which made us miss our connecting flight to AUH
we also landed in SXF because TXL closed at 10pm
in GOT they said we'd be assisted upon arrival but when we arrived no one was there and we were advised to check in at a hotel and then in the morning go to TXL
long story short we landed in HCM 16h later than planned

how much should i be asking for? 400 or 600 ?

thank you!
im living in Berlin, we had 3 very stormy and rainy days, with official warnings and stuff.
Few flights were redirected, in this case you shouldn't be able to claim anything.
Old Jul 27, 17, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by PatongPilot View Post
im living in Berlin, we had 3 very stormy and rainy days, with official warnings and stuff.
Few flights were redirected, in this case you shouldn't be able to claim anything.
the weather was fine when we arrived, i flew on 26/6 2017
looking at pass weather reports that day seemed fine
i think i'll be able to claim it
Old Jul 30, 17, 6:33 pm

Programs: AB, EY, TK Gold
Give it a try, just don't be to disappointed if it was due to the weather
Old Jul 31, 17, 5:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Give it a try, just don't be to disappointed if it was due to the weather
An excuse that a flight was cancelled/delayed because of weather is not enough for the airline to not pay EC261/2004 compensation.
Sometimes airlines also lie.
I would not resign if you get a BS response by AB because of the weather.
Old Jul 31, 17, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
An excuse that a flight was cancelled/delayed because of weather is not enough for the airline to not pay EC261/2004 compensation.
Of course it is. If the weather is indeed catastrophic, then there is no EC261 payout. Sometimes airlines claim weather when indeed the weather was fine, but that's not what you are saying.
Old Aug 8, 17, 9:29 am

Programs: AA
Flight SFO-TXL-TLV all on one ticket. SFO-TXL flight delayed by an hour so missed morning flight to TLV and delayed 12+ hrs on arrival.

I do not know the official reason the flight left SFO 1h15 late, but the incoming flight to SFO left TXL 1h23 min late (arriving 1h14 min late)

How do I find out the reason it left TXL late? and does it matter?
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, it matters. You can try to find out from various resources, but equally you may just submit your claim. This may be interesting as EC261 does not explicitly contemplate a situation where the flight doesn't beginner end in the EU, on a community carrier.
Old Aug 8, 17, 1:46 pm

Programs: AY+
I was positively surprised by AB and EU compensations. I had missed my connecting flight at Tegel and had to spend the night at a hotel in Berlin. This didn't cause any disruptions as I had nothing scheduled for the following day and they pilots had told the first flight was delayed due to weather, so I was just trying to claim the taxi expenses via the complaint form like I had been instructed to do (no hinting in the complaint that I'm also after the EU compensation). They surprised me by offering the 250€ compensation + taxi or a 350€ voucher + taxi.

Search this Thread