FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   Seat Selection Not Available? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1502648-seat-selection-not-available.html)

largeeyes Sep 13, 2013 3:54 am

Seat Selection Not Available?

I was looking to select seats for Mrs. Largeeyes and myself in two weeks time, but when I login for the extras under My Cockpit, there is no option for seat selection. Is there something wrong with the system right now?

seawolf Sep 13, 2013 7:44 am

Was this booked on the website to begin with? If not, you can't change seats online.

sonoranjerseygirl Jun 17, 2017 4:12 am

I know this is an old thread...but just wanted to check that this information is correct. If so, is there a way I can book a seat? My flight was booked through my company travel agent. I would like to pay them for one of the XL seats, if that makes a difference.

I've tried to use the contact form (1 1/2 weeks later, still waiting for a reply) calling the UAE number (broken, refers you to the international number) the international number (gave up after 30 min wait) and the USA number (gave up after 30 min wait)

Its my first flight on Air Berlin and I'm kind of frustrated. =/

miAAflyer Jun 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by sonoranjerseygirl (Post 28453420)
I know this is an old thread...but just wanted to check that this information is correct. If so, is there a way I can book a seat? My flight was booked through my company travel agent. I would like to pay them for one of the XL seats, if that makes a difference.

I've tried to use the contact form (1 1/2 weeks later, still waiting for a reply) calling the UAE number (broken, refers you to the international number) the international number (gave up after 30 min wait) and the USA number (gave up after 30 min wait)

Its my first flight on Air Berlin and I'm kind of frustrated. =/

I am having the same experience. Was on hold for 30 minutes and then was disconnected. Do they have any customer service reps?

j94305 Jun 23, 2017 9:37 am

When you book the flight (either on airberlin.com or through an agent), you may specify seat reservations.

However, there is one weirdness and one nuisance:

- Nuisance: once a seat reservation is made, you cannot change it online. You will have to call the airberlin hotline to make changes. After I managed to tell my travel agent to book not 32F but 2C or the like, everything got better :-)

- Weirdness: if you do not make seat reservations and check in with luggage for a first segment of a booking, you cannot get a seat online for the return flight anymore. The option will be displayed, you can select a seat, and then you'll get a notice that looks like the programmer threw it in five minutes before the beast went live.

Regarding your hotline experience: if there are disturbances (like in April/May with massive delays and cancellations through TXL) or if there is high demand (summer time, special holidays), you will have to wait a long time to get through. Try to take care of this through your travel agent, not airberlin.

Cheers,
--j.

rove312 Jul 15, 2017 8:52 am

Hoping this fits in this topic:

After booking a transatlantic trip at a low fare, we decided to spring for XL seats on the overnight segment, the first of the four on the round trip. I did it on the June starting date of a credit card billing period, and there was an error message after I entered the credit card information (I forget the nature of the message). I took it as a signal that I might as well wait to try again in the July billing period, with the trip still a couple of months away and the seat map wide open.

When the July date came, I called up our reservation and it showed the XL seat numbers on that flight, and the credit card hadn't been charged. When we click on those flights, we don't get the seat map; it skips to the map for the next segment. I used the email contact form to ask if we had seat assignments for that flight, and got a reply saying "After checking your reservation I can confirm you that there are no seat-assignments yet. If you wish to assign some seats here are some information for you:" and going over the types of seats and fees, information already known to me.

I replied with a screen shot showing the seat assignments and saying we hadn't been charged. After three days, I've had no reply. So what's your best conclusion of what the situation is?

A. We have XL seats, and have gotten away with not being charged for them.

B. We have the seats, and the charge posts at the time of the flight.

C. I need to call and be prepared for a long hold, but I'll try it during German business hours. Do I mention again that the card hasn't been charged, to be sure it's confirmed, leaving aside the ethics of the situation?

I also see the odd thing here about not being able to select seats for the return if baggage was checked on the outbound, so for the TATL return I'm inclined to go for side seats before we take the outbound.

SK2751 Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm

If you want the seat I would call and ask for a reservation (C). I think the chance that you actually have them is very slim.

rove312 Jul 18, 2017 9:32 pm

My email on Wednesday got a reply on Monday asking for my confirmation code, which was in the Web form quoted back in that email :rolleyes: . I pointed that out and gave it again.

In the meantime, a separate form asking for special meals got a reply with the official "Travel document," which shows on that flight "Seat: [number] confirmed for [name]." I'm letting that hold me off from calling, and see if I eventually get an email reply on that topic.

MultiFlyer Jul 19, 2017 1:48 am

Never used the form.
Either write them directly or better call them.

WilcoRoger Aug 7, 2017 7:28 am

I booked a shorthaul Economy Classic flight with AB. My understanding of the site is that seat selection should be free - but the site tries to charge me 25€. Do I miss something here?

(PS - would I get free selection as OWE? I have entered my topbonus number, where I am basic only.)

seawolf Aug 7, 2017 9:16 am

I updated wiki to reflect that website does not give free seats for OWE/OWS. You have to call in.

WilcoRoger Aug 9, 2017 12:46 am

Called in, agent says it's only the "normal" seats are free for OWEs, not the "desirable" ones (my choice of words) - basically row 14 and behind on the A32x. Is that policy or HUCA?

seawolf Aug 9, 2017 6:37 am

Definitely yes for OWS. Try alternative methods documented in wiki.