Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Non miles earning flights AKL to LAX/SFO?

Old Aug 3, 09, 5:10 am
Original Poster

I have not been credited for several return trips between AKL and the the US on flights with Air NZ. My program is Mileage Plus where I am Premium Exec. I asked for the miles to be credited, but UA repeatedly tell me the flights in question are not eligible for credit. Can this be right? They were fairly standard economy class fares. Does NZ have tickets (outside the Tasman and Pacific routes) that don't earn Star Alliance miles?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.
Old Aug 3, 09, 6:25 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Hi Goldenkiwi

what class where they booked in ?

as per mileage plus the following are non-earning classes on NZ for Mileage Plus

X I L G S K P

please refer

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1181,00.html

quite a few carriers ( TG and SQ are two others I can think of ) have some non-earning classes , so it is always important to check on the website of the scheme you want to accrue on before you book and pay for your journey . ie if you want to accrue to Mileage Plus for NZ flights then check via the UA website for earning/non-earning classes on NZ .

Last edited by kiwiandrew; Aug 3, 09 at 6:42 am Reason: to add some more info
Old Aug 3, 09, 11:17 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The cheap fares (in LGSKP) do not earn miles on any program other than NZ Airpoints.
Old Nov 12, 09, 1:43 am

Programs: NZ and UA
Sorry to bump this but any one know how are W fares handled? On my all W fare trip to NZ every leg was credited, can NZ W fares be credited to UA MP?
Old Nov 12, 09, 4:08 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
it would seem so

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1181,00.html
Old Nov 12, 09, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy View Post

Thanks Cowboy, I got spooked when I saw the following on myairnz miles earning page:
* Please note: Airpoints members cannot earn Airpoints Dollars in conjunction with Domestic Smart Saver (W,T,L,G,S,K,P) or Tasman and Pacific Island Smart Saver (L,G,S,K,P),

It says no W but I got credited for an AKL DUD on W (was an international connection)
Old Nov 15, 09, 4:17 pm

The change for W to be non-earning was fairly recent.
Old Nov 15, 09, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
The change for W to be non-earning was fairly recent.
When I said I was credited on the W fare it was on an itin with a transpac flight. It was credited as NZ $A.

I'm still not sure what the final call is regarding (NZ) W fares on transpac being credited to UA MP?
Old Nov 15, 09, 7:27 pm

Likely yes, until such time as Mileage Plus decides to remove them. As to when (or if) that will happen, who knows?
Old Nov 16, 09, 9:10 am

Programs: BA, AC, NZ
Originally Posted by Libenitz View Post
When I said I was credited on the W fare it was on an itin with a transpac flight. It was credited as NZ $A.

I'm still not sure what the final call is regarding (NZ) W fares on transpac being credited to UA MP?
With Aeroplan, NZ W and T classes become non-earning for DOMESTIC segments from Jan 1, 2010.

For INTERNATIONAL segments, these classes continue to earn 100% miles.

Not sure about MP but I would expect it to be similar.
Old Nov 18, 09, 3:52 pm

opacity of NZ fare classes

Goldenkiwi that's sad -- sounds like you lost at least 30,000 FF miles, maybe even your chance to make UA 1K. Been burned by NZ myself (cross-Tasman) as there's no way to determine fare class online (afik). Even on the phone you don't always get the right info. Did you book online through UA or NZ? UA does show you fare class you're booking into & if it's 'S' you can call (skype?) to book a milage earning class. NZ online shows nothing re class -- at least that's my experience. There's a recent thread abt this. . .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: