Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Airpoints?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:09 am

Yep the mixture. There will be a separate status counter to the Airpoints Dollar earning.

Thousands more Silver's apparently.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:04 am

Interesting. For folks like me who carefully calculate Gold requal on purely recreational travel that could work nicely... save some real $$ on the trips that have rrelatively poor Airbucks earning anyway... but still get the "points" towards status...

We'll see....
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by trooper
Interesting. For folks like me who carefully calculate Gold requal on purely recreational travel that could work nicely... save some real $$ on the trips that have rrelatively poor Airbucks earning anyway... but still get the "points" towards status...

We'll see....
Unless of course NZ make "enhancements" to the S/G/GE benefits along with the new system. I'm thinking they will do something else as they can't have an influx of literally hundreds or even thousands of new status members and keep the same benefits. Lounges and premium check-in would be massively crowded. Not to mention making it even harder to get paid upgrades let alone complimentary ones.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:14 pm

True.. but I'd lean toward ntddevsys's take in it... more Silvers rather than anything else...

Can't see just that change producing even "hundreds" of extra Golds... I may be wrong of course!

We'll see...............
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Unless of course NZ make "enhancements" to the S/G/GE benefits along with the new system. I'm thinking they will do something else as they can't have an influx of literally hundreds or even thousands of new status members and keep the same benefits. Lounges and premium check-in would be massively crowded. Not to mention making it even harder to get paid upgrades let alone complimentary ones.
I suspect it will really only bump more ppl into silver, where to be honest you get squat ( a one time upgrade and lounge pass), nothing else additional such as check in privs,

If it is true it's actually quite clever, as it gives ppl a taste of using the services that you get at either Gold, or Koru Level, and will probably entice at least a few to shell out $$$ to join the Koru Club,
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
The way I was thinking was that there would be quite a few whose companies have cheapest-fare-available travel policies but those people fly regular domestic or trans-tasman flights but don't currently earn any AP$. Under the new system people like that (and also the self-employed and some consultants/contractors) would earn Gold based on the amount of flying they do. Someone doing 15 round trips to Australia would earn Gold status on Smart Saver fares. That's just over one trip a month. Plus those that fly weekly or even fortnightly domestically.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:30 am

It was my understanding that they were going to reduce Silver benefits (is that even possible).

But they appear to have changed their mind so often now, so I have no idea.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:16 am

Programs: NZ*E,SQ ,QF IC AMB Plat, hltn gold
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
The way I was thinking was that there would be quite a few whose companies have cheapest-fare-available travel policies but those people fly regular domestic or trans-tasman flights but don't currently earn any AP$. Under the new system people like that (and also the self-employed and some consultants/contractors) would earn Gold based on the amount of flying they do. Someone doing 15 round trips to Australia would earn Gold status on Smart Saver fares. That's just over one trip a month. Plus those that fly weekly or even fortnightly domestically.
if thats the case and i dont necc disgaree then they will have to have this new "level' thats been runoroed cos the guy who pays big buckeroos to fly to london and so on get no more status than the guy who flits the tasman , now that may or may not be right but none the less there will be some feeling there. i raised in aearliest post the problem of us self employed who cost is important etc so i need to be caeful here but there are two sides to this debate.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:45 am

period of entitlement

that aslo raises the question of why do other carriers have longer periods of status , from what i read in Lh forums there guys get 2years if the do so many miles we can fly a million miles on nz and still only get one year and as i undertsand it there is no provision for carry over mileage although i thinkthere may be something on that score.in my pers opinion there needs to be some way of ensure nz hears the collective voice of its lowyal flyers and without trying to be smart do they ever read what we say cos collectively these forums count for a lot of the FF they have one way or anothyer and NZ is very depenet on brand loyalty and will need to be with all the other carrier firing up or supposedly so and all the capaicity on the tasman with 380 etc its going to egt mighty murky out there. i think they need some flexibility with there rules now and have a srule that says if you do 125% of the required miles yr status is two years but i guess that leads then for people to acheive that and then feed miles into other programs. hmmm answering my own questions...intered to hear POV from others.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I feed miles into other programs anyway with the current system. There is no extra benefit beyond NZ*E, which I usually reach within the first month or so (my record is under a week) into the qualification year.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
(my record is under a week)
Have you asked them if this is the world record?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:20 am

I feed miles into other programs anyway with the current system. There is no extra benefit beyond NZ*E, which I usually reach within the first month or so (my record is under a week) into the qualification year.
for us mere mortals the issue for us can be to requaul we use NZ or similar and the pijnts we earn all go airpoints and one overshoots the amount required maybe by several hundred. i guess i could split the bookings to assign diff ff no but then that never seems to work from a cost point of veiw.

anyway o only dream of requalify in a month let alone 6
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:36 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by trooper
True.. but I'd lean toward ntddevsys's take in it... more Silvers rather than anything else...

Can't see just that change producing even "hundreds" of extra Golds... I may be wrong of course!

We'll see...............
I can see it producing an influx in all three status categories. A lot of my colleagues in the NZ office will easily attain Silver now, and a lot of the Silvers will easily attain Gold (which would be a sizable number of the team I work with), and a few Golds will attain Gold Elite.

I'd expect just within my company alone to see at least 100 extra Silvers, 20 extra Golds, and maybe 5 or 6 extra Gold Elites.

Out of about 900 employees.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:26 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
(my record is under a week)
mind-boggling! Is it inappropriate to ask what line of work you're in that allows or requires so much travel?

As an historian I'd be amused by the answer that you are a "gentleman" (thereby living off investments) and doing a 21st century version of the Grand Tour.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Date is in!

EARN AIR NEW ZEALAND AIRPOINTS STATUS POINTS ON EVERY FLIGHT

Air New Zealand is making it easier and faster for your customers to work their way up the tiers in the Airpoints frequent flyer programme.

Under changes being made to the programme from 31 October, every fare purchased by Airpoints members on Air New Zealand operated flights will earn Status Points, including all Smart Saver and tactical airfares.

Status Points are used to determine tier status, ranging from Jade to Silver, Gold and Gold Elite.

Previously, tier status within the programme was based on Airpoints Dollars earned, but because these are not earned on some fares, some flights did not count towards customers’ status.

Because of this change it is important that you enter your client’s Airpoints number into all bookings from now on so that they are recognised for all flights they take with us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.