Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

UA then NZ flight on separate tickets, get NZ boarding pass at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)

hi,

I have an NZ ticket NZ-SFO-NZ. For my internal United States travel I booked a separate UA ticket as NZ's multi-city booking system no longer includes my destination (Minneapolis).

When I check in at MSP coming back will it be possible to get a boarding pass for the NZ flight SFO-AKL? I have enough time between flights that I'd like to leave the airport and not worry about being back to checkin again on NZ at SFO, just go through security with my UA issued boarding pass, and then pick up my re-issued NZ boarding pass.

Would I have to perhaps call either UA or NZ and have a note about the other PNR added to my ticket? Which one should I call?

Thanks for any and all replies.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Even if UA gives you the boarding pass for the NZ flight you still will have to get the boarding pass reissued at SFO as NZs policy is that they will not let you board on another airlines boarding pass because if the other airline didnt processes your passport and stuff right NZ gets a large fine.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, yes, I know I will get the boarding pass reissued at SFO. But the UA one will let me get through security without having to go and checkin at NZ in SFO.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by evanroberts
hi,

I have an NZ ticket NZ-SFO-NZ. For my internal United States travel I booked a separate UA ticket as NZ's multi-city booking system no longer includes my destination (Minneapolis).
When I couldn't find my home airport (RDU) in the new booking system, I called NZ and they waived the telephone booking fee. The ticket was cheaper than booking online and flying from CLT, the closest airport that is in the system, and much cheaper than buying two separate tickets.
I guess it's too late for you to try that this time, but maybe next time
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
As you are on separate tickets no way for you to get the NZ boarding pass at MSP (this would only be possible on through tickets).
Old Apr 5, 2008, 3:48 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
A while back I flew PDX-LAX on a UA ticket and then LAX-AKL on an NZ ticket and was issued with a boarding pass by UA at PDX for the NZ sector.

I had a standby upgrade request in NZ's system and specifically asked UA not to do it but, being UA, they just ignored me and issued it anyway.

At LAX NZ offered me an upgrade on either of the LAX-AKL flights (NZ1 or NZ5) and unknown to myself I ended up with boarding passes for both flights, one for NZ1 (which UA had issued and NZ were meant to have cancelled) and one for NZ5 (which NZ had issued).

I was happily sitting in the KC waiting for NZ5 when I heard my name being paged because I hadn't boarded NZ1
Old Apr 5, 2008, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. Sounds like it might be possible, so I can only try. Thanks also for the tip about the telephone res fee being waived if U.S. destination is not on the NZ webpage.

cheers!
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by davidrnz
A while back I flew PDX-LAX on a UA ticket and then LAX-AKL on an NZ ticket and was issued with a boarding pass by UA at PDX for the NZ sector.
Are you sure they were on separate tickets? UA should not have had access to your record on the NZ flight unless it was on the same ticket.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Are you sure they were on separate tickets? UA should not have had access to your record on the NZ flight unless it was on the same ticket.
I've had it work as well - although only once. UA ticket YOW-ORD-LAX, NZ ticket LAX-AKL-WLG. Definitely booked as separate tickets by the TA, but linked on a single Sabre PNR. At checkin in YOW they issued all boarding passes as they could see all sectors.

I also had another Sabre itinerary recently that had QF and NZ tickets on it -- both QF agents and NZ agents could see all flights, much to their surprise.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
I was definitely on separate tickets but, in hindsight, the PDX-LAX sector was part of a Star Alliance Airpass which could only be issued if I flew into North America on a Star carrier. That is probably how they got linked as I had to provide my NZ ticket number to buy the Airpass.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:31 pm

I was definitely on separate tickets but, in hindsight, the PDX-LAX sector was part of a Star Alliance Airpass which could only be issued if I flew into North America on a Star carrier. That is probably how they got linked as I had to provide my NZ ticket number to buy the Airpass.
Were they on the same PNR though?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:50 pm

I don't believe they were on the same PNR as I booked the NZ ticket on their web site and the Airpass was booked through a travel agent.

The TA may have put the Airpass onto the same PNR. I don't know the system well enough to know whether that is possible.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:33 pm

I don't believe they were on the same PNR as I booked the NZ ticket on their web site and the Airpass was booked through a travel agent.

The TA may have put the Airpass onto the same PNR. I don't know the system well enough to know whether that is possible.
Okay: thought you might have noticed if the PNR code was the same or different that's all.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:10 pm

Too long ago, it was December 06. I had a look for the docs but they've been archived!!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Similar situation: I'm taking UA181 BOS-SFO, then NZ7 to AKL, on separate tickets but one PNR. Since I know it's possible to transit from UA domestic to the int'l terminal without exiting security (shuttle bus), where should I obtain my NZ boarding pass?

Can anyone tell me a bit about the NZ7 business class service and comfort? It's my first time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.