FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Intro of Y+ on 767 and A320 and no more J Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/788052-intro-y-767-a320-no-more-j-class.html)

MrSydney Feb 7, 2008 2:10 pm

Intro of Y+ on 767 and A320 and no more J Class

I understand that both the 763 and A320 will be converted to a Y and Y+ configuration/refurb commencing June which means the end of Business Class.

No surprises really given the routes both aircraft service – with the exception of PPT, RAR, HNL & PER- but a few questions

1/ Does anyone know what the seating config will be?

2/ Will Y+ be enhanced in line with the current long Haul Y+ product?

3/ Expected completion date for the entire fleet?

4/I understand the refurb will also see upgraded IFE as per the 744 & 777?

Thanks

B-HXB Feb 7, 2008 2:24 pm

I thought they were adding a Y+ cabin, rather than having it replacing J? I can't see many people being happy if they take away J on the SYD route - remember the furore when they downgraded the meal service with the launch of Tasman Express in 2004ish?

WLG Base Feb 7, 2008 2:43 pm

Still showing J Class available WLG - SYD in July on A320.

Blackcloud Feb 7, 2008 2:45 pm

Yes it is going.
This has been known for a while well first rumour started when they upped to service offering on Premium Economy, but I thought it was announced....
Seat plans for the new IFE have Premium Economy in place of the Business Class seats. The plans are to do the refit from May to finish by Xmas I was told.
There was some talk that flights connecting to the LHR would be on the widebodies with all classes but I personally do not believe it.

ajnz Feb 7, 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by B-HXB (Post 9210307)
I thought they were adding a Y+ cabin, rather than having it replacing J? I can't see many people being happy if they take away J on the SYD route - remember the furore when they downgraded the meal service with the launch of Tasman Express in 2004ish?

SYD route, or MEL route -- the evening flight on Fridays is on a 767 and often seems to have a reasonable number of J pax.

I can really see some anger around lack of J for PER and HNL though... I know a couple of guys who commute in J to/from PER who will shift to QF if NZ ditches business.

everywhere Feb 7, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm confused

Blackcloud Feb 7, 2008 10:14 pm

I am confused myself

Originally Posted by ntddevsys (Post 9210461)
I'm confused

I will confuse you more.
From what I can remember the map said Premium Economy but I cannot picture the configuration eg A320 2-2 or 2-3 767 2-2-2. It could mean that NZ has classifed the A320 and 767 business seats as Premium Economy to differentiate them from the business seats on 777, 747 seats and then not change the service on the A320 or 767 from Business to Premium Economy.
My source in NZ is gone and the other source would not know.
We will have to wait but as WLG Base has stated the website is still selling business tickets TT.
There can be some method in this as it may allow more business travellers to fly a higher class cabin if it was called Premium Economy rather than Business Class due to corporate travel policies.
When the change comes it will make Mrs Blackcloud's *G renewal in doubt.:(

Kiwi Flyer Feb 7, 2008 10:14 pm

:confused: what kind of schizophrenic strategy is this? Upgrade SJ premium economy to business only to downgrade back to premium economy a few months later.

And yeah I hope NZ putting something with business on AKL-SYD route or they'll lose a tonne of business to QF.

Kiwi Flyer Feb 7, 2008 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 9212590)
There can be some method in this as it may allow more business travellers to fly a higher class cabin if it was called Premium Economy rather than Business Class due to corporate travel policies but it has made Mrs Blackcloud's *G renewal in doubt.:(

A lot of regular trans-tasman flyers do go in business and will move to QF if NZ makes it Y and Y+ (777/744 flights excepted).

everywhere Feb 7, 2008 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 9212590)
I will confuse you more.

This thread just directly contradicts everything I've been told.

We shall see...

mad_atta Feb 7, 2008 10:55 pm

I thought it was Y, Y+ *and* J? I certainly remember that from the original announcements, though whether that is what they still intend to do remains to be seen.

Personally, I'd be very sorry to see trans-Tasman J go... but only because I enjoy spending my points on upgrading into it. I would never actually *pay* for it, so from NZ's point of view my argument is less than compelling.

Having said that, given that the new longhaul Y+ has business class food and wine, plus the facelifted shorthaul cabins will have the new AVOD personal entertainment systems, isn't the current shorthaul business offering on the A320 not so far different from the 747 Y+? J on the 767 is a different matter, and I do think NZ would be shooting itself in the foot to ditch business class on peak time AKL-SYD-AKL and AKL-MEL-AKL routes...

It will be very interesting to see what eventuates. Outside of Asia, I'm not aware of anywhere in the world where shorthaul business class routes get the level of service they do in Australasia - look at what passes for business class in Europe and 'first class' in the US - so perhaps this was an inevitability? The difference being that NZ is honest enough to call it Y+ rather than business :)

nz_crew Feb 7, 2008 11:13 pm

As crew, I've heard nothing about Business Class being removed in the upcoming 767 refit. Doing so would seem to make the fleet a whole lot less flexible than simply adding a 'third' class in the front economy cabin.

The engineer chap on the airlines website seems to have a speciality of claiming to have the inside word on things he couldn't possibly know about - including stuff that hasn't been signed off by the board yet, and then saying of course he can't tell you.

I would be extremely surprised if J is removed from the 767s.

NZ1 Feb 8, 2008 1:20 am

Would you like to offer proof of your comments above, as I assume they are directed at me.

NZ1

trooper Feb 8, 2008 1:42 am

I don't see anything being "directed" at anyone... just folks letting us know what they have heard...

..and of course that varies & even contradicts... but please keep it coming!:D

Like mad_atta I'd hate to see TT J go... I agree that it is a nice use of points for UG!!!:D

WLGNZ Feb 8, 2008 1:51 am

NZ1
Nice to see you here.
Have purchased TT J often and would also hate to see it removed especially as there is only one other choice from WLG.