Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Would you go YVR-AKL non stop in Y or YVR-LAX (in Y) and LAX-AKL in Y+?

Would you go YVR-AKL non stop in Y or YVR-LAX (in Y) and LAX-AKL in Y+?

Old Dec 4, 07, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Question Would you go YVR-AKL non stop in Y or YVR-LAX (in Y) and LAX-AKL in Y+?

Y+ is sold out south bound for dates we want on the non stop flight. Would you save the time and hassle by flying non stop in Y or fly via LAX to get Y+ seating on the LAX-AKL flight?

I think I know my own answer, but am interested in hearing other opinions.

I'm too cheap to fork out C$25,000 for three BP tix.
Old Dec 4, 07, 10:57 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
I usually would do anything to avoid LAX but Prem Econ for that distance probably (just) makes it a worthwhile choice
Old Dec 4, 07, 11:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
Southbound transfer AC->NZ at LAX is easy, although the US immigration clearance at YVR is annoying.

But does the 3 = taupo, Mrs taupo + infant/child or + grown child/adult?
Old Dec 4, 07, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Have not done either but I can tell you the extra travel time (and departure/arrival times) would be important factors - assuming the price is equal, too. My guess is that you are adding 5+ hours to your travel time - not sure that would be worth an extra 4" pitch, not to mention the hassle of changing terminals, etc. at LAX (more of a hassle in the opposite direction, where you would have to clear immigration and re-check bags).

Of course, it would be an easy choice if you were looking at Y v. possible upgrade to C, or even exit row seats.
Old Dec 5, 07, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
But does the 3 = taupo, Mrs taupo + infant/child or + grown child/adult?

Mrs T, three year old Miss T and myself.
Old Dec 5, 07, 9:45 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

In that case I'd go for nonstop. You'll have a row to yourselves, so some room to swing a cat. And no annoying case of "been travelling for several hours at airports and in the air and still only as far as LAX with a long flight ahead", which may be a bit tough for a young one (especially the times the flights are scheduled).
Old Dec 5, 07, 10:46 am
Original Poster

In that case I'd go for nonstop. You'll have a row to yourselves, so some room to swing a cat. And no annoying case of "been travelling for several hours at airports and in the air and still only as far as LAX with a long flight ahead", which may be a bit tough for a young one (especially the times the flights are scheduled).

That was my thoughts as well. Thanks KF.
Old Dec 5, 07, 12:02 pm

I'll jump on this bandwagon too - with a 3 year old the direct flight option would be preferable by far.

Also taupo, ygpm.
Old Dec 7, 07, 1:25 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
What about going on the AC non-stop to SYD southbound, then a short hop over to NZ, and come back in Y+ on NZ if possible? Surely the transit thru SYD is less painful than LAX, although the overall flight time is likely longer.

You should be able to upgrade at least 2 of you on the AC flight to J.
Old Dec 7, 07, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by shore9 View Post
What about going on the AC non-stop to SYD southbound, then a short hop over to NZ, and come back in Y+ on NZ if possible? Surely the transit thru SYD is less painful than LAX, although the overall flight time is likely longer.

You should be able to upgrade at least 2 of you on the AC flight to J.
That could work, provided that the 3yo gets enough sleep on YVR-SYD and isn't in a bad humour for the SYD-AKL hop, and probably preferable to transiting through LAX. But I'd still vote for direct in Y...
Old Dec 7, 07, 10:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Going via SYD means an extra day of travel. If taupo's final destination is Taupo then it also means an overnight stop in Auckland.
Old Dec 7, 07, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Southbound transfer AC->NZ at LAX is easy, although the US immigration clearance at YVR is annoying.
Unfortunately AC no longer interlines luggages with other carriers. Even with *. Found out the hard way earlier this year when I had to retrieve my luggage at YVR coming from an AC flight ex-YYZ and then re-checking them to an ex-YVR SQ departure.

Looks like if connecting at LAX ex-AC, you'd have to go down to the luggage to retrieve and re-check them in with NZ which means you'll have to exit & re-enter the airside facility (also means another date with the TSA) even though you are transiting in the same terminal.
Old Dec 7, 07, 4:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Ouch. Why are so many alliance airlines ceasing to offer through checked bags? Surely if the claiming and rechecking process causes passengers to miss their connections or delay the onward flight that is more hassle for the airline?
Old Dec 7, 07, 5:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated View Post
Unfortunately AC no longer interlines luggages with other carriers. Even with *. Found out the hard way earlier this year when I had to retrieve my luggage at YVR coming from an AC flight ex-YYZ and then re-checking them to an ex-YVR SQ departure.
Do you know when this happened? I've had them interline in June this year with both QF and SQ. Wasn't expecting the QF interline but it worked fine (in both directions).
Old Dec 7, 07, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, ANZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
Do you know when this happened? I've had them interline in June this year with both QF and SQ. Wasn't expecting the QF interline but it worked fine (in both directions).
I also flew YYJ to YVR then on to SFO and AKL and had no baggage interlining problems. Did have to retrieve bags at YVR at the US Customs entry point and walk them through the customs interview but that was not the airline's doing that was US customs. The bags were waiting for me at customs, I walked there from my gate and picked up my bags , walked through US Customs, left the bags on a conveyor belt and that was the last I saw of them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: