Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades - Which flights are best?

Old Dec 4, 07, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat

Hi, I've got a couple of complimentary upgrades that I need to use up shortly so am looking to book a return ticket somewhere where I have a pretty decent chance of being able to redeem them. I'm really keen to hear which flights people usually have success on, don't mind where they go...
Old Dec 4, 07, 3:01 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
The obvious choices are Shanghai, Tokyo and Osaka, as almost all the pax are inbound Chinese and Japanese people, so hardly anyone is an NZ elite.

My choice, however, is a 747 service (AKL-HKG-LHR or AKL-LAX-LHR) - if you book Premium Economy you are very likely to get upgraded.

Closer to home, any 767 service to the Pacific islands is a good choice.
Old Dec 4, 07, 5:21 am

Programs: NZ *G
That's good to hear DCF... I'm just hitting Gold and have two Y+ transpacs in the next 6 months.... hoping to have some success there upgrading to BP...

I tend to book Tuesday/Wednesday out, Monday/Tuesday back.... Hope that is a decent tactic too.. cos it suits my travel patterns!!

To the OP.... I'll report on my upgrade luck SYD-AKL vv this week (cert one way, Airbucks the other - both on 767 flights natch!) ... but I suspect you are looking for better value than that!!!
Old Dec 4, 07, 11:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
For upgrade to business premier, definitely asia. For me not 100% success, but far better than LHR and LAX/SFO flights which are very difficult to clear (there have been times when I couldn't even buy a business class seat on the USA mainland flights when I needed to travel).

HNL or PPT, while on 767 are longer flights than trans-tasman and other south pacific islands.
Old Dec 4, 07, 4:42 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
I've got 2 GE complementary upgrades waiting to be used but it looks like all my planned travel will be Australia to Europe, so no chance to use them before they expire.

Maybe I'll take Mrs Buzz on a holiday to Tonga or Cook Islands and use them that way. A comfy business seat will be good
Old Dec 4, 07, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Have you checked to see if they can be used under the *A upgrade program? Apparently LH upgrade evouchers can be used on other airlines participating in the *A upgrade program.
Old Dec 5, 07, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Have you checked to see if they can be used under the *A upgrade program? Apparently LH upgrade evouchers can be used on other airlines participating in the *A upgrade program.
The answer on the NZ website is...
'Airpoints Awards on Star Alliance and other Partner Airlines, including Freedom Air, are only available through the Airpoints Service Centre at this stage. Please contact 0800 247 764, and ensure you have your membership number, PAC (Personal Access Code), travel dates, destinations, passport details (for international flights) and credit card handy.

Please note that complimentary upgrades, and Airpoints Dollar upgrade requests can only be made on Air New Zealand operated and ticketed flights. Seats on partner airlines are limited and may not be available on all flights.'

Clear as mud really I'll call tomorrow and find out!
Old Dec 5, 07, 2:34 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, ANZ Airpoints
anyone have any experience with trying to get an comp upgrade on the new AKL to YVR route?
Old Dec 5, 07, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Just checked with NZ - Complimentary Upgrades can only be used on NZ metal Pity because I have a couple of flights booked on Asiana in C and they have a great korean banquet in F
Old Dec 5, 07, 3:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

That's a shame. Some years my status complimentary upgrades expire unused, or get wasted on short trans-tasman or south pacific hops.
Old Dec 5, 07, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Yeah it is a shame, if LH does it does anyone know if any other *A airlines offer the same?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: