GlobalPlus Gold American Express?

Old Nov 8, 07, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

GlobalPlus Gold American Express?

Hopefully a NZer will be able to help me with this one...

I'm looking at getting a credit card and aligning it with a mileage program. Choices for NZ residents are rather limited being a choice of Qantas or Air New Zealand. All my day-to-day spends go on my credit card and then paid off monthly or put into credit. I currently have an ASB Gold VISA (on True Rewards).

I'm not sure if it is qorth joining Air NZ Airbucks. I'm Emirates Skywards Gold and I don't see the point of paying for a Airbucks earning trans-Tasman fare when it is only a little more for Emirates J.

The other option for Qantas is a Gold American Express with Membership Rewards either through AMEX or HSBC. But again, Qantas isn't the greatest when it comes to its frequent flyer program.

Basically, if I could work out how to align a card with Skywards I would not bother with Air NZ or Qantas.
Old Nov 8, 07, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Okay, that doesn't read well.

Basically, is AirNZ Airbucks worth joining? Is getting a AirNZ Airbucks associated card worth getting? It seems like a confusing program compared to others...
Old Nov 9, 07, 12:55 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
NZ is the only FFP you can transfer your ASB True Rewards to so you might as well get a GlobalPlus and join NZ anyway. GlobalPlus Gold Amex has the best transfer rate at spending $66.67 = 1 APD, whereas your Gold ASB only gives you spending $130 = 1 APD. Even GlobalPlus Platinum Visa has only $90 = 1 APD. I always hope there would be a GlobalPlus Platinum Amex.
Old Nov 9, 07, 12:57 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
If you really want Airpoints

One thing that you should also consider is Flybuys.
You cannot directly transfer Flybuys points into NZ Airpoints unless you have a BNZ GlobalPlus card. Flybuys is free to you and you can double dip by going to a Flybuys retailers, getting Flybuys points (variable earn depending on retailer) and using your GlobalPlus cards. Flybuys transfers 6 points to 1 NZ Airdollar or if you do not have the BNZ card it is 7 Flybuys points to the equivalent 1 NZ Airdollar for a flight redemption. BNZ also has a Airpoints earning home loan, not worth it as you pay a higher interest rate that exceeds the dollar value of an Airdollar.
Unless your *A program gives you a minimum miles guarantee then crediting NZ domestic flights to the NZ scheme is the best value, also there are some secret good earners for NZ Airdollars out there.
Old Nov 9, 07, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, ANZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
One thing that you should also consider is Flybuys.
You cannot directly transfer Flybuys points into NZ Airpoints unless you have a BNZ GlobalPlus card.

also there are some secret good earners for NZ Airdollars out there.
I didn't know that about FlyBuys, they don't say you have to get that card do they?

also do tell what are the secret good earners?
Old Nov 10, 07, 3:26 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold
From Fly Buys website:

Swap your Fly Buys points to Airpoints

If you are a GlobalPlus card holder you can exchange your Fly Buys points for Airpoints Dollars, Air New Zealand's frequent flyer currency.

The reward exchange rate is:

6 Fly Buys points = 1 Airpoints Dollar

* Redemptions commence at 300 Fly Buys points and thereafter in multiples of 150 points in the same redemption transaction. ie 300, 450, 600, 750, 900 ...etc

* This reward is only available to GlobalPlus cardholders.

* For more information on the Airpoints programme visit http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz

Call the Fly Buys Service Centre 0800 FLY BUYS (0800 359 2897) to make the conversion - you must be the GlobalPlus cardholder and have your card ready when you call.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: