FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   carry on luggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/748535-carry-luggage.html)

laminar Oct 20, 2007 11:59 pm

carry on luggage

I am flying Business class to SYD from LAX and just noticed online that Air New Zealand only allow one piece with the maximum of 15 pounds?? Also dimension is restricted to 45 inches, i guess my 22" piece hast to be almost empty to make the cut. My laptop alone will almost weight that. LOL!!
Plus, seems like my small projector will be considered a second piece since is a little bulky with it's case. Very light tought!!
Are they realy that picky?? Is no way that i can document my laptot or my video projector as checked luggage.

Please let me know any similar experiences.

Thanks

Kiwi Flyer Oct 21, 2007 9:05 am

In my experience as long as the carry on(s) are not huge and don't look heavy then you're fine. But if they look heavy you may be asked to weigh them at check in :(

In business class you are allowed 2 carry ons + a personal item.

laminar Oct 21, 2007 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 8596352)
In my experience as long as the carry on(s) are not huge and don't look heavy then you're fine. But if they look heavy you may be asked to weigh them at check in :(

Thanks for the reply Kiwi Flyer

Air New Zealand's web site says also that for flights to and from or trough the US carry on luggage is restricted to one piece regardles of class of travel. Do they really enforce that???

Thanks

Kanada goose Oct 21, 2007 1:42 pm

i piece of carry on

Originally Posted by laminar (Post 8596654)
Thanks for the reply Kiwi Flyer

Air New Zealand's web site says also that for flights to and from or trough the US carry on luggage is restricted to one piece regardles of class of travel. Do they really enforce that???

Thanks

just flew PE on Air NZ through US and had no problems with the carryon, being a large purse and another small bag. However be warned that if you are flying from or through Heathrow, they are absolutely unmoveable on the "one piece" restriction. Saw people having to go back and check their second piece of carryon. Some people were complaining that they were just flying through Heathrow, not even stopping, and had to go through security and recheck their extra carry on luggage even though it was permitted on their original flight into Heathrow.

splatnz Oct 21, 2007 10:53 pm

I usually have my carry-on case as well as laptop and have never had any problems. If you want to take two proper bags just ask for an exemption ticket when you check-in if flying through an airport that cares (HKG!). Never had any trouble out of AKL.

DCF Oct 21, 2007 11:39 pm

Bear in mind too that carry-on luggage is weighed at BNE, SYD, MEL and AKL, with a maximum of 7 kg, although a laptop can be claimed as a second piece, although at LHR no second piece is allowed.

Mind you, if the OP is not leaving the airport at AKL the only time his bags will be weighed is before passport control at SYD.

swdke Oct 22, 2007 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 8596352)

Hi Kiwi Flyer, I read where in business class, International passengers are permittted 2 carry on pieces. But on the ANZ website, it adds that for flights to/from the US, cabin baggage is limited to one piece. I'll be flying business class soon from LAX to AKL, and trying to determine what I am permitted, and what is classified as cabin baggage vs. personal items. In fact, ANZ does not seem to seperate cabin baggage from personal item, or do they? I've not been able to locate how the two are differentiated or permitted on ANC. For myself, I just want to bring a book bag size back pack, and a laptop. By ANZ standards, are they classifed as two cabin pieces, and therefore not permitted to/from the US despite traveling busniess class sine I am only pemitted one? I think a laptop, so long as it's not too big, can be considered a personal item. Therefore, my back pack can be cabin baggage. but again, I've not located what's permitted in terms of classification of personal items vs. cabin baggage. I get the impression ANZ can be strict, and I want to be sure I follow the guidelines. Personally, I'd be surprised if I'd have difficulty bring on a laptop and a book bag, but that's what I am trying to confirm. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Blackcloud Oct 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Laptos are in addition to allowances.

Originally Posted by swdke (Post 8603535)
Hi Kiwi Flyer, I read where in business class, International passengers are permittted 2 carry on pieces. But on the ANZ website, it adds that for flights to/from the US, cabin baggage is limited to one piece. I'll be flying business class soon from LAX to AKL, and trying to determine what I am permitted, and what is classified as cabin baggage vs. personal items. In fact, ANZ does not seem to seperate cabin baggage from personal item, or do they? I've not been able to locate how the two are differentiated or permitted on ANC. For myself, I just want to bring a book bag size back pack, and a laptop. By ANZ standards, are they classifed as two cabin pieces, and therefore not permitted to/from the US despite traveling busniess class sine I am only pemitted one? I think a laptop, so long as it's not too big, can be considered a personal item. Therefore, my back pack can be cabin baggage. but again, I've not located what's permitted in terms of classification of personal items vs. cabin baggage. I get the impression ANZ can be strict, and I want to be sure I follow the guidelines. Personally, I'd be surprised if I'd have difficulty bring on a laptop and a book bag, but that's what I am trying to confirm. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Slimline laptops and their bags are in addition the the carry on allowance. There are other things excluded to.
For a list please refer to the NZ webiste.

cabin baggage

Note NZ used to sell laptop bags that are compliant to their standard, I do not know if they still sell them but know of some who do have them....cough KF?