FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   *A ticket on Air NZ...what class do I get? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/718475-ticket-air-nz-what-class-do-i-get.html)

man0fsteel Jul 25, 2007 6:47 pm

*A ticket on Air NZ...what class do I get?

Hello,

Sorry if this is more of a *A topic...

I'm about to book 2 Air New Zealand Business Class tickets. Travel is open jaw with a stopover starting at LAX to NAN to SYD (with a change of planes in Auckland). Return is from Cairns to Auckland to LAX.

Using *A (Air Canada) points, 100K points/ticket gets me there and back. However, I've only got 2 segments confirmed in Business Class. However, upon reading the great posts here, I see there are different classes of Business as well as Economy. How do I know what I'm getting?

Also, what are the chances that Air New Zealand frees up more BP class seats as you get closer to the travel date (Traveling in October 2007) assuming they don't get purchased?

Thanks!

Greg

trooper Jul 25, 2007 7:17 pm

Can't help with the availability question.... sorry :(

BUT.. the type of "Business" class you get depends on the a/c. AFAIK the LAX-NAN-AKL flights (and some AKL-SYD) are operated by the 767.. with "old fashioned" C class... 50" pitch recliners...

The AKL-LAX non-stop will be a 744 (normally) .. with the new Business Premier flat beds...

CNS-AKL only flys 4 days a week (Tue/Wed/Fri/Sun) and is also a 767...

Hope that helps!

P.S. The other AKL-SYD flights are A320's... C class is a 42" pitch...

Kanada goose Jul 25, 2007 7:19 pm

Chances are pretty good that they will get purchased. However its most important to me to have the Biz class on the LAX-NAN-Akl leg and the Akl-LAXleg than the trans tasman flights which are much shorter, so its also important to look at which legs are in BP. If your dates are flexible its worth revising until you can be sure you have BP in those legs (and thus a lie flat bed!)

On my last award travel in BP, my first go with the agent meant that the long flights were NOTin business so I kept her at it until she could confirm me with a business seat. No point burning up 100,000 points if you are sitting in the back of the plane for the majority of the trip.

debh Jul 26, 2007 12:24 am

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 8120316)
CNS-AKL only flys 4 days a week (Tue/Wed/Fri/Sun) and is also a 767...

We flew AKL-CNS-AKL last month and it was an A320, so only 8 seats in Business.

Kiwi Flyer Jul 26, 2007 12:29 am

Yup CNS sometimes gets A320 (depending on loads, a/c availability).

trooper Jul 26, 2007 3:33 am

Sorry... my bad... I just looked at the flights in late October...

Quite a difference really.... put it this way.. I am rather chuffed that my one-after-next SYD-AKL-LAX apparently has the 767 both ways Trans tasman...

I just prefer it! :D