Business Saver = How Many Airpoints?

Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold
Business Saver = How Many Airpoints?

Hi there
I need to do a mileage run to Sydney (120 airpoints short of requalifying!). There are some cheap 'Business Saver' airfares available at the moment but I'm not sure if they accrue the same amount of airpoints as a standard Business Class airfare. Would hate to do the trip and fall short by a few airpoints.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
All business fares (except redemptions/upgrades of course) earn full business points.

I've flown plenty of those Tasman business savers and always get the 85 A$.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:17 am

Just curious... How does one EVER find a Business Saver fare?

I've looked at weeks of fares and seen none at all! Is there a secret() - or at least a likely time of year?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 6:38 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
They are advertised on the NZ website under "Hot Deals.". The latest Trans-Tasman Business Saver fares had to be booked by 30 June 2007 for travel by 31 July 2007. I think this has been the second time this year this fare has been available.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:29 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
At least the second, more likely the 3rd or 4th time. They're often not heavily promoted though. QF also quietly matches them.

I've booked them throughout the year this year and hope both NZ & QF continue offering them - I guess it's partially to compete with EK.

I occasionally see Business Saver offerings on long haul destinations (LAX in particular) during times of peak Economy demand but low business demand -- think Christmas-ish.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yup the latest trans-tasman one is no longer available. I notice QF is still selling the "match" - not sure if error on end date (since they never list them under deals on website) or if they want to keep running with it.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:14 pm

I have of course been looking from the "other" end... AUS-NZ...

That may be part of the problem....
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Just book one-way Aus to NZ, and buy round trips from NZ. Even without saver fares, fares are generally quite a bit lower ex-NZ.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:21 pm

Good advice indeed.... and I am quite chuffed that the idea had actually occured to me too!

Maybe (just maybe) some of this excellent advice is actually sinking in!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.