Premium Economy mini-Reviews

Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
UK flyer it's interesting that you were allowed to 'sample' the business premier champagne, given that premium economy is supposed to have the same alcohol service as Business.

Unless this curiously doesn't apply to champagne?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I got economy drinks in premium economy
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:02 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Well, when I asked for champagne the purser told me it was Deutz (sp?) from New Zealand which is a sparkling wine. I imagine this is the official PE 'champagne'.

Anyhow, he gave me plenty of the Business Premier champagne throughout the flight. Top marks to him.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I got economy drinks in premium economy
Right, so before my trip I'm going to print off all the web blurb about PE, and hold them to all of it. If I'm paying extra for a better service, I expect to get it. We shy and quiet Kiwi's just don't complain often enough, and too often they get away with not delivering what is promised. I used to have to bite my tongue when my wife was working for them, but now she's moved on, the gloves come off!! (Well in a friendly and polite way of course)....

Cheers
TiggerK
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:15 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
TiggerK - exactly. I held the FAs to it on the LAX-LHR sector in PE, and while it certainly didn't make them very pleased with me, I got what I asked for. Admittedly, I didn't ask for champagne, except at pre-departure, which was refused. Nobody has provided clarity (including Air NZ) on whether that's included. I thought it was.

A complaint to [email protected] has resulted in a lengthy apology from them about it.

Having only flown it once, I'd fly it again, but only if they get the service inconsistencies fixed. Currently looking at it for AKL-LAX-AKL in Dec.

aj..
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:08 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Platinum
My flight from last week

Route / Plane
LAX-AKL / 747

Day/Night flight
11pm at Night - NZ5

Seat No. (aisle / window / middle)
22B & 22C middle and aisle

Check in ok?
Checked in at YYZ with Air Canada. When we went to the Koru Club, they re-issued our boarding passes on Air New Zealand paper

Seat comfort (width ok?)
Width was a little tight(ish) but I think because we were on the exit row the tray and AVOD were tucked away in the sides. Wasn't a huge problem for me (over 6ft tall and 210lbs). The foot rests were a waste of time for someone my size. But I'd say that the seats were the most comfortable non J seats I've flown in. Only problem with the exit row (and this might seem odd) is the lack of storage space. I would've appreciated somewhere to put my headphones, water bottle, iPod etc. I noticed that the window seats had little storage areas which was cool.

Legroom
No problems as we had an exit row on the upper deck - plenty of leg room.

Ease of getting in and out
Preboarding was announced for Premium Economy customers along with Star Alliance Gold so I was covered either way

Food
Dismal. And I was aware that I would be served economy food so it wasn't from unrealistic expectations. The evening meal was probably some of the worst I've eaten on a plane. However, I believe this is unusual for ANZ. The breakfast was better - I normally make it a rule to never eat anything that's supposed to be from the omlette family but this time it was not bad. Everything else was pretty horid.

The self service pantry was pretty good - I munched my way through a few bananas, some cookie bars and some grapes... I appreciated that.

Drink
Wasn't drinking on this flight but the "bar" was there for your helping.

FA attentiveness
Great - weird thing was we had an all male staff in PE. Both 50+ so it was a bit of a culture shock. They were very good. The only problem I found was that because we were on the front row of the upper deck, the business section was infront of us, so you were really aware that they were special and you weren't - so despite the fact that the FA's were good, you were aware that they were 'better' to the business folks. Which is fare enough, given the price they'd paid! But they were good, very chatty, attentive and some of the better service I've received on a flight.

AVOD
I appreciated the AVOD but the selection wasn't *that* massive and it was fairly unresponsive e.g. I found myself having to press select several times for it to respond to me. Having just used the AC AVOD on the flight to LAX probably didn't help because I had that fresh in my memory and it was easier to use and definately more responsive.

Would you do it again?
Probably not if I was paying full price for it... this was part of a RTW itinerary and I paid a $300 surcharge to upgrade for PE which seemed worth it. If they through in the business menu, then definately. The problem is, I didn't get to see the economy cabin so I couldn't do an effective comparison. If I was doing the 747 again, I'd probably book the exit rows downstairs rather than sit upstairs and be constantly reminded I wasn't in business... the downstairs PE cabin seemed much more contained and therefor nicer. But I guess that's just preference.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC QF
Looking forward to a review of PE downstairs on the 744, and anywhere on the 777!

Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:15 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ajnz
TiggerK - exactly. I held the FAs to it on the LAX-LHR sector in PE, and while it certainly didn't make them very pleased with me, I got what I asked for. Admittedly, I didn't ask for champagne, except at pre-departure, which was refused. Nobody has provided clarity (including Air NZ) on whether that's included. I thought it was.

A complaint to [email protected] has resulted in a lengthy apology from them about it.

Having only flown it once, I'd fly it again, but only if they get the service inconsistencies fixed. Currently looking at it for AKL-LAX-AKL in Dec.

aj..
An apology is not good to me, I have chosen Premium Economy based on what is advertised on their website. I intend to have several drinks and expect to have the 42 below cocktails and the choice of the business class wines etc.

A lenghty apology doesn't really mean much to me after I have paid $$ for the service I haven't received. I would be expecting either a refund or some points!
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:57 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by AndDee
A lenghty apology doesn't really mean much to me after I have paid $$ for the service I haven't received. I would be expecting either a refund or some points!
Don't hold your breath waiting. I got nothing other than an inane comment that bookings are high for premium economy.

While I am still reviewing plans, there is a good chance that this plus some other issues has cost NZ a significant amount of international business travel from me.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by AndDee
An apology is not good to me, I have chosen Premium Economy based on what is advertised on their website. I intend to have several drinks and expect to have the 42 below cocktails and the choice of the business class wines etc.

Fair enough - but the only way for NZ corporate to know about it is if someone tells them.

Certainly it would be worthwhile taking the printouts from the website with you, just in case....
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:22 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Fair enough - but the only way for NZ corporate to know about it is if someone tells them.

Certainly it would be worthwhile taking the printouts from the website with you, just in case....
Well I will take a printout with me, but if I need to show a printout to get a service that they have had for close to a year now, I think that service is pathetic, and will be complaining as soon as my return trip is completed.

They have the arrogance to say that bookings are high, they expand premium economy but it seems they can not inform FA's that premium economy passengers are entitled to business class wine/drinks. It surely cannot be that hard

Rethinking about my booking in PE, I doubt I will do it again, it seemed a good idea at the time, but unless they serve business class food or improve the seat width I wont' be booking it again. Even thought I have yet to try it!

Based on several members on here having issues with getting the better wines/champagnes I cannot wait for Virgin to start their Aus-LA flights! If they base their premium economy on their Virgin Atlantic product it will be far superior than what Air NZ offers. Without getting too much off topic the current Virgin Atlantic price to fly from Syd-London is economy$2060, Prem Economy $3850. Pricing not too different from the AIR NZ pricing strucuture (Prem Eco being about twice discount Eco) One would say that the Virgin setup for Aus-USA will be even cheaper.

Can't wait for their accouncement towards the end of this year

All that being said I may have an excellent experience with Air NZ in Prem Econ and be raving about it on my return

Last edited by AndDee; Nov 5, 2006 at 2:29 am
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:04 am

OK, so I thought I'd get around to filling the questionnaire out. :-)

Route / Plane LAX-LHR, B747-400 ZK-NBW.
Day/Night flight Afternoon->night->morning, I guess.
Seat No. (aisle / window / middle) 23C (exit row aisle, old config)
Check in ok? Checkin was fine, but I had access to the Biz checkin by virtue of *G. My upgrade from economy had not cleared at checkin, but cleared approx. 45 minutes from departure while in the Koru Club. They pre-seated me in 23C. I was in 31C in Economy.
Seat comfort (width ok?) I found the width a little lacking, certainly not as nice as the old Biz seats, but reasonably OK. I could leave things sitting beside me in the seat alright. I do have to point out that 23ABC had the only spare seat in it, resulting in an empty middle for me. The gentleman in 23A got an on-board op-up to biz to sit with his wife (at his request), allowing 23B to move over to 23A. The rest of PE was 100% full, which is why I hadn't been able to buy a seat in PE originally!
Legroom Legroom in the exit row is great, certainly can't complain. I didn't notice any issues with the carts or flight attendants. The carts were not left in that area for snacks. The leg rest, however, was useless.
Ease of getting in and out No problem in the exit row. I think it might be a little more difficult in the seats further back.
Food Standard economy fare. I can't even remember what I ate - chicken I think. Certainly not memorable, and depressing to receive after watching business get served first.
Drink I had requested a pre-departure champagne upon boarding, to which I received a very "hell no" response from the FA, and felt like I was from Mars. They had a full tray of Champagne which ended up being disposed of as virtually nobody in Biz upper deck drank any.

I still have no clarification of whether this is a PE service! Does anyone know?

The rest of the drink was fine - 42 Below vodka was available, the wines that I had were fine (Sauvignon Blanc, dessert wine). The cheese selection was it's usual self.
FA attentiveness I felt this is where the product was significantly let down. The FAs seemed to treat us like regular Economy, or worse, passengers. I certainly felt no additional attention for being in a more premium class, or being NZ*G. I felt the FAs really let this flight down. This was the UK based crew, though. I've had colleagues travel with NZ based crew and have had the opposite opinion, so that leaves me hopeful...
AVOD Fine - only the usual complaints (slow; can't listen to music while watching the map).
Would you do it again? Yes - if only to secure the extra legroom and have a potentially cheaper upgrade to business. I'm currently looking at PE to LAX over Christmas (if I can convince myself there's no point to be in AKL, and it's looking like there isn't). Tentatively looking at NZ6 outbound, NZ3 inbound, so would be on the 772 return which I don't really want to do, as there's that much less upgrade opportunity into biz!
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by MacExtreme
Looking forward to a review of PE downstairs on the 744, and anywhere on the 777!
Juha Saarinen has written briefly about PE on the 772 here. You could ask any specific questions in his blog feedback, but I'll point him to this thread as well.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:30 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Here's a photo of seat 22A (in full recline position) on my flight from HKG-LHR last week.

Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:52 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
I still have no clarification of whether this is a PE service! Does anyone know?
Sorry, I should have replied to this sooner. Pre take-off drinks are not a part of the PE service. In fact, I'll post what PE passengers are entitled to (this applies to longhaul - shorthaul is of course different).

Code:
Pretakeoff drinks: No
Pre dinner drinks: Until 2100 
Hot towels: Only Japan/PVG
Drinks selection: C class service
Cocktails: Yes
C Class inflight snacks: Yes
Noise cancelling headsets: No
Cheese plate: Yes
Glassware: For dessert wine/port

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.