Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Grab a Seat' - 1 Day only Sale

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NZ is matching the EK 2-day sale (ends today). Difference being EK earns 100% miles (+30% bonus if booked on EK website + 500 miles for each OLCI in November).
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
NZ is matching the EK 2-day sale (ends today). Difference being EK earns 100% miles (+30% bonus if booked on EK website + 500 miles for each OLCI in November).
Some "match". Many of the EK sale fares are valid during the peak xmas/new year's time, while the NZ fares aren't. Inventory in the applicable EK fare buckets can be hard to find but it does exist. I snagged a CHC-SYD EK flight smack in the high season for $NZ133 all-in.

It appears NZ wants to be seen as matching the EK sale without actually having to sell tickets at those levels.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Quokka
Some "match". Many of the EK sale fares are valid during the peak xmas/new year's time, while the NZ fares aren't. Inventory in the applicable EK fare buckets can be hard to find but it does exist. I snagged a CHC-SYD EK flight smack in the high season for $NZ133 all-in.

It appears NZ wants to be seen as matching the EK sale without actually having to sell tickets at those levels.
EK may be valid until 31 January (must be booked today and paid by tomorrow), but take a look at what dates are actually available
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:11 pm

EK may be valid until 31 January (must be booked today and paid by tomorrow), but take a look at what dates are actually available
Hmmn. Not sure I follow.

But using another tool and expanding my search, I see one could do AKL or CHC->SYD for $NZ133 on EK on heaps and heaps of dates. "V" class is actually reasonably available. However EK "V" availabilty SYD->NZ looks much spottier.

So will you be bouncing back and forth across the Tasman on a 2+ month EK mileage run?

The EK fare looks valid from basically now till 31 Jan, but the NZ "match" doesn't allow travel between 16Dec and 15Jan.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Quokka
So will you be bouncing back and forth across the Tasman on a 2+ month EK mileage run?
Nah, although now I think of it I am close to an EK status level threshold (1.5 round trips will do it). Hmmmm.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:47 pm

Nah, although now I think of it I am close to an EK status level threshold (1.5 round trips will do it). Hmmmm.
Looking at the availability, I see you could be headed across the ditch with this fare tonight ... so you have other plans for this evening or something?

I notice the cheap EK trans-tasman fare is asymmetrical. You can get a $NZ100 base one way-flight on it NZ->AU and a $NZ200 base return if you do NZ->AU return, but there is no $NZ100 AU->NZ one way on offer.

Perhaps EK will flog NZ/QF with a $AU100 AU->NZ fare sale at some point as well.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

There does seem to be more EK availability around christmas-new year than when I looked yesterday. Still difficult to fit into my already full schedule before year end (which I'd need to do 1.5 of to get to the next status level).
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

A quick response by wotif. An email advertising current rates for hotels in Oz within hours specifically referring to the sale.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:17 pm

Gimme a "V"!

There does seem to be more EK availability around christmas-new year than when I looked yesterday.
EK certainly has been adding availabilty in the cheap fare buckets ; NZ not so much.

Two of us want to fly CHC->SYD on the first Friday night in January. However the flight was showing V1. When I looked at purchasing 1 ticket, the fare was $NZ133. When I looked at purchasing 2 tickets, I got quoted $NZ416 *per person*. Yipes. So I bought just one for $NZ133. Immediately afterwards I checked the inventory on the flight and sure enough my purchase took it down to V0. Then I waited 6 or so hours hoping for a new feed, checked again and saw V1 come up once more. So I bought the second ticket for only $NZ133.

I've used the 1 + 1 is < 2 routine for years on NZ, but oftentimes the savings comes down to just getting one in the cheapest bucket and the other in the next bucket up. Nice of EK to replenish some inventory in the sale bucket!
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
$133 RT or one way?

Glen
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:54 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

$133 was oneway including taxes. Too late now - both NZ & EK sales ended last night.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

No sale today?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
No sale today?
I've just heard that Grabaseat has been discontinued.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by CHC Kiwi
I've just heard that Grabaseat has been discontinued.

NZ did get quite a lot of extra bookings from me that they wouldn't have otherwise got (although the one I cancelled and rebooked offset a portion of that extra revenue)
Old Dec 22, 2006, 3:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few

NZ did get quite a lot of extra bookings from me that they wouldn't have otherwise got (although the one I cancelled and rebooked offset a portion of that extra revenue)
Yeah, from me too. Once again they show their uncanny ability to snuff out innovations which actually benefit passengers, foster goodwill, and create revenue from additional bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.