Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Catering - what's Air NZ serving these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering - what's Air NZ serving these days?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Business menus (and much comment too of course) for AKL-TBU, TBU-APW, APW-LAX and LAX-LHR posted in my latest trip report. There will be more NZ flight(s) to come.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
An update on trans-Tasman catering - I flew SYD-WLG on NZ744 in J, and while I was too addled by sleep deprivation (and, by the end of the flight, wine consumption ) to remember to take the menu, what I can report is:
- entree was smoked salmon with a mango (I think?) salsa - salmon was great, salsa a bit sweet but overall a good dish, and nicely complemented by my old favourite the olive and herb bread with Village Press extra virgin olive oil
- for the main I had a delicious lamb dish with mushrooms, it was one of the best main courses I've had on NZ for quite a while. I honestly can't remember what the other options were, but I *think* they were one fish dish and one chilled salad dish (like thai beef salad)
- dessert was the usual delicious ice cream and the usual not very exciting cheeses, I was initially offered either/or but there was no problem in having both
- wines included both Deutz and No. 1 Cuvee (a Marlborough sparkler made by the Le Brun family) as bubbly options (both are good but in very different styles); Lawsons Dry Hills sauvignon blanc; and West Brook pinot noir. There were at least 1 more red and 1 more white offered but I can't for the life of me remember them. Dessert wine was the faaaaaaaaabulous Forrest Estate botrytised riesing, which is an old favourite
- service was excellent, from an older FA who was extremely friendly and professional. She didn't seem like a Zeal320 crew member though I could be wrong. Is it possible they have some of the older Wellington-based crew serving in business class? I notice she was assisted by another (much younger) FA at the start of the flight to get the DVD players distributed etc.
- overall a great flight with excellent service, like pre-Zeal320 days.

I flew back in Y on the awful early morning NZ741 WLG-SYD flight which was quite a contrast. Although I no longer have any status , I had booked the flight while still *G so having that printed on my boarding pass was enough for me to be able to blag my way into the lounge, use business class check in etc. I got a row of 3 seats at the back of the plane blocked for me too, so I could try to get some sleep before starting my long working day, so great ground service there. The international lounge at WLG was its usual not particularly impressive self - food options are very limited though it was nice to see they have hot sausages as an option alongside the fruit, cereal and toast. The flight itself was not particularly impressive - a very junior crew (which showed in amateurish cabin announcements etc) and a small and fairly disgusting breakfast offering of a few tiny fruit pieces in syrup and a greasy breakfast quiche. Even the apple juice seemed watered down - so no indication that catering levels are improving there. (Incidentally, it was quite a different experience to be so far down the back of the plane - getting off the plane took an eternity with all the very infrequent flyers seemingly concentrated at the back. Reminds me why I like row 5... though with no status now I guess I'm not going to get that very often

So, a bit of a mixed bag overall. At least the business food, wine and service was well up to scratch, which is the most important thing as far as I'm concerned
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by mad_atta
- wines included both Deutz and No. 1 Cuvee (a Marlborough sparkler made by the Le Brun family) as bubbly options (both are good but in very different styles); Lawsons Dry Hills sauvignon blanc; and West Brook pinot noir. There were at least 1 more red and 1 more white offered but I can't for the life of me remember them. Dessert wine was the faaaaaaaaabulous Forrest Estate botrytised riesing, which is an old favourite
Thanks for the report... especially this part
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:29 am

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Menu on NZ 753 Good Friday Apr 6 Business class

Airbus 320

Dinner

Starter

Horopito spiced New Zealand cervana with micro cress and dukkah scented olive oil

Main course

Reisling roasted chicken thigh will bell pepper polenta and mushroom ragout

Star anise seasoned New Zeland lamb with oriental slaw and broccoli

Nicose salid of seared tuna, green beans, potato, red pepper and herbed lemon olives and basil vinaigrette

Dessert

Gourmet ice cream dessert of minted chocolate and pohutukawa hony ice cream

Cheeese and fruit

Fine regional cheese and preserved fruit

Beverages

Freshly brewed or decafeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Spirits

Port and liqueurs

Beer

Soft drinks

Wine

Our wine list showcases some of the best wine New Zealand has to offer - from a country that celebrates its zealous passion for producing top quality wines.

The premium wine selection onboard this flight has been chosen by our wine consultants: John Belsham of Fox Island Wines, Kate Radburnd of CJ Pask Winery and Jim Harre, nationally recognised wine judge.

The fine wines on this flight have been chosen to complement today's menu style. Your crew will be hap to discuss the selection and help you choose wines to accompany your meal

Other

A nice touch was a fresh hot cross bun for Good Friday

Menu on NZ 8, MEL - AKL Sunday April 15

Business premium

Boeing 777

Lunch

Starter

42 Below honey cured karengo salmon with tropical mango and chilli salsa

Main course

Homemade gnocci in horopito cream sauce with sauteed leek, carrot and bell peppers and shaved parmeson

Chicken confit with vegetable ratatouille and sweet pea butter

Thai marinated beef salad with red bell pepper, cucumber and chilli and lime dressing

Dessert

Gourmet ice cream dessert of feijoa and triple chocolate ice cream

Cheese and fruit

Fine regional chesse and preserved fruit

Beverages

As above

Wine

As above

Apologies for not dissecting the wine list in some detail, but I found the selection rather limited. For example, the red selection on the MEL - AKL was a merlot and a pinot, and I don't happen to be a fan of merlot

The food however was good, with an interesting selection, the ice cream was great as usual, but the cheese, certainly from MEL was rather tired.

I am looking forward to comparing this with SQ and probably UA (dread the thought) in a few weeks

Last edited by WellingtonFF; Apr 16, 2007 at 3:30 am Reason: Wrong date
Old Apr 16, 2007, 5:48 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WellingtonFF
I am looking forward to comparing this with SQ and probably UA (dread the thought) in a few weeks
Ewwwww, UA's wine list! *shudder* Definitely the worst business class wine list I've ever had the dubious pleasure of sampling, though AC's ran them pretty close. Having said that when I flew a few sectors on SQ Raffles (about 3 years ago now) I wasn't very excited with their wine choices either...

Anyway, thanks for the report WellingtonFF and let us know how SQ and UA compare (though to be fair I think NZ tends to have a wider wine selection on long haul than on the Tasman hops).
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Ewwwww, UA's wine list! *shudder* Definitely the worst business class wine list I've ever had the dubious pleasure of sampling, though AC's ran them pretty close. Having said that when I flew a few sectors on SQ Raffles (about 3 years ago now) I wasn't very excited with their wine choices either...

Anyway, thanks for the report WellingtonFF and let us know how SQ and UA compare (though to be fair I think NZ tends to have a wider wine selection on long haul than on the Tasman hops).

NZ did on the SIN - AKL leg I did last year Mad Atta, I hope they haven't changed. I used to fly UA regularly F many years ago, and they used to be excellent, but the standard these days is the pits, including the RCCs.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:28 pm

Wellington FF
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

They certainly do. My latest trip report has wine lists (and which ones actually available from the wine list) for longhaul NZ flight as well as trans-tasman (this flight not yet posted - coming soon). I also have wine list for some longhaul and regional SQ flights as comparison. No UA this time though - I try to avoid as much as possible
Old May 10, 2007, 9:53 pm

Did another trans-Tasman return in the last week - SYD-WLG on the evening flight in J, WLG-AKL-SYD in afternoon/evening in Y. Service on SYD-WLG was very friendly and attentive but not very polished - I didn't get the impression our FA had really served in business class before, but she was very eager to please and super friendly so no real complaint there. The AKL-SYD crew was extremely professional - I noticed they handed out the spare J class newspapers to gold status Y pax, which I haven't seen for a long time, and addressed us by name which I thought was impressive. It was especially appreciated because, although I haven't been *G for a couple of months now, for some reason I am still showing up as such in NZ's system (despite only having FF number added into booking that day) so managed to blag my way into lounges based on my boarding pass status

SYD-WLG menu on NZ744

Starter
Seared rare tuna loin on cauliflower puree and fennel salad

Main course
Grilled New Zealand beef fillet on roasted pumpkin, golden kumara and carrot with spicy paprika butter
Kawakawa roasted salmon with lemon rice, broccolini and hollandaise sauce
Char sui shaved pork with udon noodles, oriental slaw, ponzu sauce and chilli

Dessert
Gourmet ice cream dessert of black currant and blackberry, and lemon meringue ice cream

The seared tuna loin was *extremely* rare and very fishy tasting... and this is coming from someone who loves sashimi. I found it OK but it would not have been to many people's tastes. For a main I had the salmon, which had the hollandaise sauce in a little tub on the side so you could pour over however much you wanted - it basically needed all of it to stop the rice being dry, but once that was administered it was actually very good with nice, subtle flavours. The ice cream was delicious as usual, cheeses underwhelming as usual (the FA was astounded that I asked for some more of the olive bread to have with the cheeses instead of those mean little crackers - surely that's not such an unusual request?).

Wines that I sampled (all from Marlborough, coincidentally enough) were Lawsons Dry Hills sav blanc, Highfield Estate pinot noir, Forrest Estate botrytised riesling and (I think) No. 1 estate cuvee bubbly. All were delicious, though the bubbly is a bit strongly flavoured to drink much of. There was one more red (a merlot that I wasn't familiar with - I think it was called Tin Shed) and a couple more whites that I can't remember. Full marks for quite an extensive wine list for 8 J class seats - I get the impression that the Tasman flights get quite a random assortments of leftovers from the long haul flights, which makes for some interest and variety.

The Y class flight back from AKL did seem to have a slightly better standard of catering than I've seen for a while, then again I haven't been on a dinnertime Y class flight in ages so I'm scarred by those awful Tasman Express breakfasts. Choice was the lamb and rosemary pie (which is always good but for once I didn't choose) and roast chicken with potato salad (which was very good and slightly more substantial than I remember the meals being). Dessert was delicious cookies and cream Kapiti ice cream. Wine in my case was the usual Montana sav blanc - very potable, and the FA cheerfully gave 2 bottles each to me and the Gold Elite in my row (since the GE cunningly suggested it, to "save them time in having to come back to serve us again so soon" - what a great seatmate ). All in all an impressive flight from a very competent crew.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May 28, NZ005, LAX-AKL

Fast Dine Supper
Sunchoke and pear soup with spiced pear and blue cheese crouton
Hot sour dough bread
Chocolates

Supper

Starter
Olive oil poached New Zealand salmon with haricot vert, frisee, mache, balsamic red onions and hazelnut aioli

Main Course
New Zealand lamb two ways with fennel puree, caponata (courgette, tomato, aubergine, basil, oregano, pinenuts), roasted grapes and rich wine jus
Pan roasted New Zealand snapper with truffled corn coulis, rock shrimp spatzle, sweet peas, summer corn and sauteed pea greens
Wood roasted organic chicken breast on short rib hash, roasted cipolline onions and wilted spinach

Dessert
Gourmet ice cream dessert of caramel cone and double chip ice cream with vanilla almond wafer

Cheese
A selection of fine New Zealand cheese

Beverages
Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Snacks
Help yourself from our range of snacks available for you to enjoy during your flight

Beverages

Spirits
Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs
Portuguese Port
Grand Mariner
Bailey Irish Cream

Beer
A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks
Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cola, lemonade, tonic water, ginger ale and a choice of diabetic drinks are available

42 Below Cocktails
Refer to the cocktail selection at the back of your Air New Zealand Wine Guide for the 42 Below cocktails currently being showcased onboard.”[/I]

Breakfast

Beverages
Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Fruit and Cereal
Fruit selection with assorted cereals and yoghurts

Bakery
Croissants, wholemeal and fruit toast with conserve

Hot Breakfast
Creamy scrambled eggs with chives, chicken and sun dried tomato sausages, grilled bacon and mushrooms
Orange broiche French toast with passionfruit cream and manuka honey and apple syrup
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May 28, NZ105, AKL-SYD

Sorry, date is wrong, meant June 7.

Dinner

Starter
Chicken and duck terrine with baby salad greens and gazpacho dressing

Main Course
Grilled New Zealand salmon steak with lemon barley and herb risotto, creamed white wine sauce and watercress
Roasted pork scotch with sage jus, apple and potato rosti and green beans
Antipasto platter of kassler ham, salami and chorizo sausage with marinated eggplant, mushroom, capsicum, Roma tomato and Mediterranean pesto

Dessert
Gourmet ice cream dessert of triple chocolate and gingernut ice cream

Cheese

Beverages

Beverages

Spirits
Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs
Portuguese Port
Grand Mariner
Bailey Irish Cream

Beer
A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

Soft Drinks
Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cola, lemonade, tonic water, ginger ale and a choice of diabetic drinks are available
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

June 10, SYD-AKL, NZ704

Lunch

Starter
Bell pepper panna cotta with smoked kassler pork, micro cress and yoghurt dressing

Main Course
Grilled New Zealand beef fillet steak with gratin potato, green beans and bearnaise sauce
Kawakawa chicken Caesar salad with bacon, croutons, egg, parmesan cheese and Caesar dressing
Spicy New Zealand lamb wrap with capsicum, rocket, hummus and caponata in a soft flour tortilla

Dessert
Gourmet ice cream dessert of apple crumble and hokey pokey ice cream

Cheese

Beverages

Beverages

Spirits
Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs
Portuguese Port
Grand Mariner
Bailey Irish Cream

Beer

Soft Drinks
Old Jun 13, 2007, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

June 10, AKL-LAX, NZ002

Dinner

Starter
Manuka poached king prawns with fennel, baby curly endive, mango and dill dressing

Main Course
Roast fillet of New Zealand beef with a blue cheese and oxtail ravioli, steamed potatoes, green beans with hazelnuts and paprika tomato broth
Confit chicken thigh with currant and chicken mousse, herb butter, vine ripened tomato and mushroom rocket risotto
42 Below vodka marinated and caramelised salmon with asparagus, kaffir lime mash, citrus crème fraiche and watercress
Kawakawa butternut, mushroom and organic feta tart with tomato and red pepper compote and salad greens

Dessert
Gourmet dessert of lemon meringue pie ice cream and manuka honey chestnut ribbon ice cream with vanilla almond wafer
Apple and black doris plus tart with titoki liqueur cream

Cheese
A selection of fine New Zealand cheese

Beverages

Snacks
Help yourself from our range of snacks available for you to enjoy during your flight

Beverages

Spirits
Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Rum
Ron Bacardi Superior

Port and Liqueurs
Portuguese Port
Grand Mariner
Bailey Irish Cream

Beer

Soft Drinks

42 Below Cocktails
Refer to the cocktail selection at the back of your Air New Zealand Wine Guide for the 42 Below cocktails currently being showcased onboard.”[/I]

Breakfast

Beverages
Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Fruit and Cereal
Fruit selection
with assorted cereals and yoghurts

Bakery
Croissants, muffins, wholemeal and fruit toast with fruit conserve

Hot Breakfast
Smoked chicken pesto and parmesan omelette with breakfast potatoes and chicken sausage
Lemon curd ricotta cakes with yoghurt and pohutukawa honey cream and fresh strawberry compote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Some menus posted in a few recent trip reports. I'll add the links shortly.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

An incomplete selection of NZ menus from this year

Auckland to Papeete supper menu (biz)
Papeete to Auckland breakfast menu (biz)

Auckland to Shanghai dinner and breakfast (econ)
Shanghai to Auckland dinner menu (biz)
Shanghai to Auckland breakfast menu (biz)

Auckland to Nuku'Alofa dinner menu (biz)
Nuku'Alofa to Apia light refreshment menu (biz)
Apia to Los Angeles supper and breakfast menus (biz)
Los Angeles to London Heathrow dinner and breakfast menus (biz)
Adelaide to Auckland lunch menu (biz)

Auckland to Cairns dinner (econ)
Cairns to Auckland dinner (econ)

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 20, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.