Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Catering - what's Air NZ serving these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering - what's Air NZ serving these days?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by CGK
Ricotta griddle cake with caramelised cinnamon bananas, apple cranberry compote and manuka honey and apple syrup
yum
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:01 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by mad_atta
...Dessert wine
Alpha Domus, if I remember correctly. Whatever it was, it was good! ^
Alpha Domus ^ ^ ^!!! I salivate just reading the words
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:39 am

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Wot? Gordon's gin? Dishwater! Surely they can be patriotic & stretch the budget to a bottle of South. Or at the very least, Bombay or Tanqueray. Gordon's indeed! Bah! Humbug!

justakiwi
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1P emeritus; Hhonors Silver; Marriott Rewards Silver
NZ 5 LAX-AKL, August 2006

Return on NZ 2 was pretty much the same as what CGK posted recently so will skip, but here's what NZ 5 had...

BUSINESS PREMIER

Dinner and Breakfast
Los Angeles to Auckland

Dinner

STARTER

Cress and frisee salad with duck prosciutto, tangerine, toasted hazelnuts and whit truffle honey vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE

New Zealand lamb cutlet and lamb bolognese with green garlic risotto, garlic roasted tomato and artichoke

Seared cod with Dungeness crab chowder and parmesan, thyme and parsley croutons

Wood roasted chicken breast with olive oil whipped potatoes, baby broccoli and lemon cipollini onion confit

Light choice of grilled endive with Serano ham, aged sherry vinaigrette, herb salad and blue cheese

FAST DINE

Ask your flight attendant if you would prefer a light meal consisting of a selection of breads, the appetiser of the day, cheese and chocolates

DESSERT

Gorumet ice cream dessert of pineapple coconut and strawberry with passion fruit coulis

CHEESE

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese

BEVERAGES

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

SNACKS

Help yourself from our wide range of snacks, available for you to enjoy during your flight

Breakfast

BEVERAGES

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

CONTINENTAL SELECTION

Fruit selection with assorted cereals and yoghurts

Croissants, friands, white and wholemeal toast with fruit conserve

HOT OPTIONS

Creamy scrambled eggs with chives, braised beef short rib hash cake and tomato

Buttermilk pancakes with apple and cranberry compote, whipped cinnamon butter and manuka honey and apple syrup

Beverages

SPIRITS

Glenfiddich Malt Whisky
Chivas Regal Blended Whisky
Jack Daniel's Black Label
Gordons Gin
42 Below Vodka
Courvoisier VSOP
Captain Morgan Run
Ron Baccardi Superior

PORT AND LIQUEURS

Portugese Port
Grand Marnier
Baileys Irish Cream

BEER

A selection of beer featuring Steinlager, Export Gold, Heineken and low alcohol lager

SOFT DRINKS

Mineral water, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice, cola, lemonade, tonic water, ginger ale and a choice of diabetic drinks are available

42BELOW COCKTAILS

Refer to the cocktail section at the back of your Air New Zealand Wine Guide for the 42 Below cocktails currently being showcased onboard
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1P emeritus; Hhonors Silver; Marriott Rewards Silver
And a quick gripe...for all the hype of these 42 Below cocktails, not once did a flight attendant offer me one. When pre-dinner drinks were served on my two recent flights, both times the FA said "would you like a glass of wine." I did not see anybody in my immediate cabin getting one either.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by dcadude
And a quick gripe...for all the hype of these 42 Below cocktails, not once did a flight attendant offer me one.
I'm not too surprised - the current ones are terrible. I asked for one on AKL-LAX in July and the flight attendant strongly advised against it.

After sampling both I had to agree with him. Some things just don't belong together, and Air NZ has certainly found a hit with the current two cocktails. Apparently most people rejected them after a few sips...
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:08 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Originally Posted by ajnz
I'm not too surprised - the current ones are terrible. I asked for one on AKL-LAX in July and the flight attendant strongly advised against it.

After sampling both I had to agree with him. Some things just don't belong together, and Air NZ has certainly found a hit with the current two cocktails. Apparently most people rejected them after a few sips...
Last time to the US (February I think) I was considering asking for one. I can't recall what the combinations were then. What's on offer now?

justakiwi
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:29 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by justakiwi
Last time to the US (February I think) I was considering asking for one. I can't recall what the combinations were then. What's on offer now?
The two from AKL-LAX, LAX-LHR, and LAX-AKL July/August/September (how often do they change these anyway?) are:

Originally Posted by Air New Zealand Cocktail Guide
Sunny Backyard
A refreshing blend of unique 42 Below Kiwifruit vodka, served over ice with freshly squeezed lime, and lengthened with the delicious taste of pressed apple juice, and the distinctively crisp taste of New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

Pacific Princess
An intriguing, exotic aperitif that balances the rich taste of Grand Marnier with the tropical flavour of 42 Below Kiwifruit vodka, sharpened with fresh lemon juice, and charged with Champagne.
IMHO, the Sunny Backyard is borderline undrinkable (and I drink anything with alcohol in it), with the Pacific Princess somewhat passable.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:36 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by ajnz
The two from AKL-LAX, LAX-LHR, and LAX-AKL July/August/September (how often do they change these anyway?) are:

IMHO, the Sunny Backyard is borderline undrinkable (and I drink anything with alcohol in it), with the Pacific Princess somewhat passable.
After some experimentation at home, I can confirm that the Sunny Backyard is in fact not too bad, but if you remove the sauvignon blanc (and add a bit of elderflower) it becomes vastly better, to the point of being dangerously drinkable
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you ask nicely they will mix it up differently onboard (as long as they have what you want)
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:18 pm

They sure will! I liked the nice little cocktail list they had in the LAX Koru Club which had 8 or so different variations... I ended up sampling them all, but can't remember which one was the best. I might have written it down somewhere.

They're all pretty simple and quick to make, too....
Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Haven't been on NZ for a few years. Do they still serve the rolls from those puffy aluminum bags? Best bread I've ever had in the air.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Thought I might re-ignite this thread.

Feb 07
AKL SYD NZ119 in C

Starter

Seared rare tuna on cauliflower puree and fennell salad. The presentation was just awful and it didn't taste much better

Main Course

Grilled NZ beef fillett on roasted winter vegestables, golden kumara with carrott with spicy paprika butter.

Chicken tortelinni in pesto cream sauce with sauteed pumlin and shaved parmesan.

Char sui shaved pork with udon noodles, oriental slaw, ponzu sauce and chilli.

The Chicken Tortellini was just superb. Very tasty.

Dessert
Gourmet ice cream of black currant and blackberry, and lemon meringue ice cream.

Cheese and Fruit

Sorry cannot remember the wines but did polish off a bottle of Sav Blanc. Very nice indeed.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MrSydney
Sorry cannot remember the wines
That is the most important bit!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Yum! Fruit smoothies sound yummy. Anybody tried them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.