Search

AKL domestic to international transfer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
AKL domestic to international transfer

I am flying CHC-AKL-LAX-SFO in March.

Are there separate domestic and international airports in AKL? The agent I spoke with said yes, but there was a bus connecting them?

How much time should I alot for the transfer from CHC-AKL to the AKL-LAX flight? I am flying business premier - so hopefully the lines will be a little shorter and faster.

Thanks for the help.

Chad

Last edited by SFO_Chad; Jan 25, 2006 at 1:02 pm
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:06 pm

Indeed there is a bus but I've never used it. It's a very short walk - just follow the lines.

On arrival in the terminal go to the right of the main NZ check-in and through the glass doors to premium check-in (even if you've already checked in) to pay your departure tax and then use premium immigration (so you avoid standing in line).
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes see the AKL airport thread for details. Assuming its one ticket then get AKL-LAX BP at CHC and make sure bags are tagged through (saves waiting 10 minutes or so to collect bags and further wait in check in lines at international terminal). You can use the premium check in area - has dedicated immigration officer. Dont forget NZ$25 departure tax (pay at check in, or at BNZ airport branch).

I'd allow 90 minutes to be safe. Any less than 60 minutes and your looking at needing a taxi to get between the terminals (or running).
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I'd allow 90 minutes to be safe. Any less than 60 minutes and your looking at needing a taxi to get between the terminals (or running).
I agree with the 90 minutes, at least. A few years ago my flight from CHC-AKL was over an hour late, getting into AKL domestic 30 mins before my UAL AKL-LAX departure from international. Although the pilot on the domestic leg had called ahead and asked for the bus to be held until I arrived, it was nowhere to be seen (and bear in mind that the buses depart approx. every 20 minutes). I then tried to hail a cab, but no driver was interested in taking me on such a short trip.....which left the only choice of running. Long story short, I made the flight but only because UA had been notified of my late arrival and held the plane, resulting in a late departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.