Wiki Posts
Search

United vs US Airways LAX to PHX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE
United vs US Airways LAX to PHX

Help please :- after I arrive in LAX on Air NZ from LHR I need to fly from LAX to PHX. The US Airways schedule suits me better, but although the flight number is US6550 it says operated by America West. Will I earn any airpoints (it is in T class) or will I be better taking United to earn points, although time wise not nearly so convenient?
Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:12 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Non-earning booking classes on US:

1.3.2.12 US Airways fares in booking classes G, P, E, R, X, I and O.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:18 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
As far as I know from discussion in other forums.....HP (America West) operated flights will not earn miles/points on other star alliance carriers yet. Supposedly this will be possible later this year so depending on when your flight is then you may be in luck but as of right now even though your fare code should be eligable you would not earn any star alliance benefits on HP. Now, this is a short flight so how much of a time difference are we talking? I might let the points go if it was several hours difference in time.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by flykiwifly
Help please :- after I arrive in LAX on Air NZ from LHR I need to fly from LAX to PHX. The US Airways schedule suits me better, but although the flight number is US6550 it says operated by America West. Will I earn any airpoints (it is in T class) or will I be better taking United to earn points, although time wise not nearly so convenient?
HP (America West) is not yet a *A member and so no airpoints can be earned on that US codeshare flight. When is your flight? HP may be integrated with US by then and thus it would then count.

Dont forget to allow plenty of time to transfer at LAX. I cant recall of the top of my head which terminal US & HP uses, but need to allow a good hour at a minimum just to get through immigration off the NZ flight. I have had the following transfers at LAX:

NZ->NZ (still has immigration if change of flight # or visit the lounge)
NZ->AC (T2->T2) & vv
NZ->SQ (T2->TBIT) & vv
NZ->LH (T2-> TBIT) & vv
NZ->UA (T2-> T6/7) & vv

I know my way around LAX and am fast walker, but even so, in the last few years the shortest successful transfer time was about 60 minutes gate to gate. The longest took close to 3 hours

If changing terminal then can walk (if close then go around the "U", if not take the shortcut through the parking buildings) or take the transfer bus.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
hi,

HP & US fly out of LAX T1 so after clearing customs just exit T2 turn left and walk 200 yrds to T1. Allow plenty of time to clear security as Southwest also use T1 and queues can be lengthy

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

So you probably need a minimum 90 minutes, or at least 120 if you cant get through checked from LHR.

No point in waiting for bus - the terminals are close and walk is under cover.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:04 am

One other thing to keep in mind, particularly if you aren't flying partner airlines further on in your trip, is that choosing airlines like HP or AS will net you more points than using United to get to Phoenix.

LHR-LAX on an NZ-only trip: 55 A$ (or 70 in Y,B,M,H)
LHR-PHX via L.A, NZ-UA trip: 35 + 15 = 50 A$

The only upsides of waiting for the UA flight is 'Economy plus' seating by dint of your NZ*G, however on the short Ted flights to PHX its not a huge issue... and perhaps an easier time of getting PHX boarding passes and baggage tags from the check in staff at Heathrow... I'm not sure who the agents handling the NZ flights work for when they aren't doing NZ, but quite a few Heathrow airlines do connect to HP flights so it shouldn't be a big deal, and will make for a more relaxed stroll on arrival.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by stewardo
One other thing to keep in mind, particularly if you aren't flying partner airlines further on in your trip, is that choosing airlines like HP or AS will net you more points than using United to get to Phoenix.
True - but needs to be weighed up against misconnection risk. Taking HP or whoever on a separate ticket will indeed earn more airpoints, but if inbound is late then not protected whereas if on single ticket you would be.

I have done this "trick" before with a 3 hour connection in LAX and sweated out the inbound being late (but fortunately only an hour).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.