Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I haven't flown on the 789 yet but to me the most important aspect of seat selection is the seat orientation. As somebody who sleeps on my left normally I prefer B/K seats on the 777 as this means I'm facing the screen with lots of space in front of my face rather than facing the back wall if I slept on the same side which occurs if I sit in A/J
I never thought of that but it makes sense!
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
777-300 Business Premier

Sat in 12A on NZ 1 yesterday, LAX-AKL. Deliberately chose this seat when my RU cleared at time of booking a month or so ago.

7A on the 777-200 is my typical go to seat for BP, I like it for the privacy, the drawback being proximity to galley.

12A for those who don't know is the rearmost sear in BP, backing onto PE with a bulkhead in between. It offers privacy but runs the chance of being in front of a screamer as those PE seats are designated for screamers if needed. None this time.
The other downside is you are last to receive dinner service, and pretty much forgotten. Had to ask for cheese and port after my table cloth, cutlery and plates had been unceremoniously removed by a Y/PE FA who had come forward to help. BP was full, dinner service was poor. Frances the FA for that side did come to ask me which appy choice I would like so I wouldn't miss out. I presume this was due to FF status.

Breakfast service was exemplary. Who knew that one could have perfectly cooked poached eggs on eggs benny at 37,000'? Kudos to Dean and Frances, you outdid yourselves.

The in charge (Shane I think) had personality like dial tone, his service was perfunctory at best, luckily for him his crew more than made up for him.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by taupo

The in charge (Shane I think) had personality like dial tone, his service was perfunctory at best, luckily for him his crew more than made up for him.
I've had a few pretty average FSMs on flights to and from the US over the past year. I don't know if Elite greetings are even a thing now as I haven't even seen the FSM on my past few flights were I've sat in PE.

My favourite FSM is still a South African woman by the name of Estelle. I've had her on a few flights in recent years and she is amazing. She even used to go around and introduce herself to all of the PE cabin after doing the BP arrival cards.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:45 pm

What is FSM?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by alpenrose
What is FSM?
FSM = '(In-)Flight Service Manager' (aka Purser).

As others have hinted, I suggest searching for yourself and perhaps asking a more focussed question - most here are not sitting around just waiting for your questions...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've had a few pretty average FSMs on flights to and from the US over the past year. I don't know if Elite greetings are even a thing now as I haven't even seen the FSM on my past few flights were I've sat in PE.
Definitely no Elite greetings from this FSM
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Elite greetings still exist on TT flights on the A320 which is what I find strange if they are now scraped now on long haul . Air NZ made a big deal about the Elite greeting in one of the customer surveys last year.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
NZ 7 SFO-AKL seat 7K

It was the only window seat left in the main J cabin. I wasn't sure how the experience would compare to other airlines in main J versus mini-J, but I opted to try it. It was a great seat and it felt a little more private. Unlike experiences on AC, I did not find any noise coming from the mid-galley area or any traffic to/from the lavs. NZ also has somewhat thicker curtains that tend to stay closed and I notice the crews do more to keep them closed.

NZ 6 AKL-LAX seat 2A

I did not enjoy this seat as much, but it was not about the seat but the location.

I found there was much more foot traffic in front of me and some children seated nearby who being children, added to the foot traffic frequently (blocking the crew from doing their service) and also making more noise. It's not the fault of NZ, but it just was not as pleasant a flight. (To be clear, I spend a vast amount of time on TPACs to and from Asia and SE Asia. On the HKG and TPE flights in particular, the J cabins are full of kids and they are often better behaved that the adults onboard. The infants are the best.)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Pretty disappointed in BP offering on the 787 flight to IAH today. My first on a 787, mental note to avoid. Very much prefer the BP set up on the 777.

Seating arrangment seemed very cowded and much more compact than other BP offerings from Air NZ. How could they make it so noticeably different?

Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Pretty disappointed in BP offering on the 787 flight to IAH today. My first on a 787, mental note to avoid. Very much prefer the BP set up on the 777.

Seating arrangment seemed very cowded and much more compact than other BP offerings from Air NZ. How could they make it so noticeably different?

Completely agree, just about to head on the 787 from Singapore, definitely seems thinner seats too or may be my imagination!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/long...siness-premier
The 777-200 and 777-300 feature a luxurious leather armchair at 22" (55.9cm) wide that converts into a 6'7.5" (2m) bed.
Note that they don't say how wide the 787 one is. It is noticeable not as wide. Having sampled BP on each plane my preference is to avoid the 787 where given a choice.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/long...siness-premier

Note that they don't say how wide the 787 one is. It is noticeable not as wide. Having sampled BP on each plane my preference is to avoid the 787 where given a choice.
Air NZ is careful not to quote the size on the 787 seat, because it is significantly narrower, I have read reviews stating that in the past but the only one I could find on a quick google search tonight was:https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2015/1...iness-premier/
Not only is the seat narrower, the ottoman is smaller, the cocktail tray is behind you and the seat is more angled towards the aisle. I also have an impression they don't recline as far in "seat" mode. Another negative on V1 is the unloading is usually at door 2, ie PE gets off first.
Sleeping in the seat is still good, but it is very narrow.
If I can possibly avoid a 787 I do. I think Air NZ made a serious mistake with this seat.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Originally Posted by edmm
Air NZ is careful not to quote the size on the 787 seat, because it is significantly narrower, I have read reviews stating that in the past but the only one I could find on a quick google search tonight was:https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2015/1...iness-premier/
Not only is the seat narrower, the ottoman is smaller, the cocktail tray is behind you and the seat is more angled towards the aisle. I also have an impression they don't recline as far in "seat" mode. Another negative on V1 is the unloading is usually at door 2, ie PE gets off first.
Sleeping in the seat is still good, but it is very narrow.
If I can possibly avoid a 787 I do. I think Air NZ made a serious mistake with this seat.
yeah it’s definitely much narrower than the 777s, just got of it this evening and noticed the flip tray, poor storage, bit of a contorsion required. Lying to sleep flat on back my shoulders were squeezed. I’m quite broad but fairly average build, an overweight person like my folks would probs need hoisting or some of the olive potato get out! Got to say the Singapore a380 old seat was easily the best of the legs on this route, the A350 900 connection was awful sleeping.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Seat guru states the the 777 and 787 BP seats are the same width at 22 inches. For Air NZ.

The feeling is the “space” you are allocated is a lot more compact.

Agree the table is smaller and located way closer to you. As is the entertainment screen, closer to you. The remote and small glass holder are behind you and what about the outside armrest being almost behind the seat back and unusable when fully upright.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Seat Guru is wrong.
BP is much narrower on he 787 and very substandard.
I avoid it where possible which costing AirNZ tens of thousands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.