Best/Worst lounges on NZ network

Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:09 pm

Programs: NZGE.... and bronze on every other program
Originally Posted by MrSydney
Has anyone had any experiences of the RCC at LHR that NZ utilises?
Was in there in early Dec. 04. It was jam packed to the point you had to share tables. No food other than nuts and biscuits. Compared to the AC lounge (was taken in there last year as a Guest there is no comparison). Go the AC lounge everytime if you can.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to FT kiwiox14

As Star Gold you can visit the AC lounge (no need to be guested in)!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Ain't * Lounge rules wonderful ? http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...ge_access.html

Welcome to FlyerTalk kiwiox14
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:53 am

Welcome to FT, kiwiox14 - with a name like that you'll fit right into the NZ board
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:36 am

Programs: NZGE.... and bronze on every other program
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Welcome to FT kiwiox14

Until august 04 I was earning status the hard way, down the back of the bus on Y's (NZ Company travel policy). Still 3 akl - lhr - akl's finally got me there.......Got to say after a year at the gates any lounge looks good.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by kiwiox14
Until august 04 I was earning status the hard way, down the back of the bus on Y's (NZ Company travel policy). Still 3 akl - lhr - akl's finally got me there.......Got to say after a year at the gates any lounge looks good.
Pitty you didn't find us sooner. A AKL-LHR-AKL-LHR would have picked up AC*G had it been credited to AC Aeroplan.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:34 am

Programs: NZ *S
Tuning in from further down the foodchain here.
I've just recieved NZ Silver and a free lounge pass.

In June we're heading off to DEN via AKL & SFO and I was looking for the best place to use it. SFO? or AKL domestic homebound (4 hours between flights).

Also, being two of us, I only have the one pass. Would a KC guest card given to me get my other half in?

Actually there are three of us, but the boy's only 6 months old.

BNE lounge was nice, but a bit crowded when I went through.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Welcome to FT NSN-Dave

AKL domestic homebound sounds good. A chance for a shower and relax following the long flight (although lounge may be full if in peak hour).

A silver pass + KC guest pass should be enough to get you all in.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Welcome, NSN-Dave.

I'm not sure the free pass would even work in SFO, where NZ uses the UA lounge rather than having one of its own...? Anyway, Kiwi Flyer's advice is good. The other alternative would be the AKL lounge outbound, but you'll still be relatively fresh at that point and less in need of lounge comforts. The main domestic lounges usually have a pretty good food spread, too.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Yes good point. The Koru club pass probably would work in SFO but not the Silver pass (IIRC needs to be a NZ operated lounge).
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
The main domestic lounges usually have a pretty good food spread, too.
Not to mention the 12 different types of beer!!
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:12 pm

Programs: NZ *S
The only risk I guess is that these Guest Card are out of date... these ones (I have 4) don't have an expiry date, but the ANZ KC site talks about using "unexpired" guest cards.

Does anyone think it's worth spending the dosh signing up for KC so that we can use the lounges on our trip?
[Aside: can KC members use partner airlines' lounges on codeshare flights ? e.g. UA operated NZ flights within the states]
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by Fliar
Not to mention the 12 different types of beer!!
Fliar, I do wish you'd make more effort to keep up - the better lounges (i.e. WLG domestic) manage 14 or 15 on a good day!

I hereby order you to go and do some more research in the field, and report back to us regarding the exact number of beers found in each domestic koru club.

(Apologies if it is too obvious that mad_atta consumed rather more glasses of Marlborough sav blanc at lunchtime than might be considered strictly sensible. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - Main Divide '03. Yum! )
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:44 pm

NSN-Dave, I was under the impression that Koru Club membership allowed you to access the designated lounge for NZ pax (whether an NZ operated lounge or otherwise) whenever travelling on a flight with an NZ flight number.

However, can I just point out that:
1) I could well be wrong; and
2) I have been drinking at lunchtime, which is always fatal, so approach anything I say with extreme caution!
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by NSN-Dave
The only risk I guess is that these Guest Card are out of date... these ones (I have 4) don't have an expiry date, but the ANZ KC site talks about using "unexpired" guest cards.
Are there still access passes to the Koru Club, not just members guest passes ?

Originally Posted by mad_atta
NSN-Dave, I was under the impression that Koru Club membership allowed you to access the designated lounge for NZ pax (whether an NZ operated lounge or otherwise) whenever travelling on a flight with an NZ flight number.
I'll agree - The Members Guide says "At most other destinations where Air New Zealand flies to or from but does not operate its own lounge you will have access to an alternative facility."

But the guest pass says "Valid for all Air NZ International Lounges excluding SIN"

Of course NZ don't operate any lounges in Asia so make of that what you will...

Last edited by everywhere; Feb 24, 2005 at 8:52 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.