Help: NZ*G for Cathay Shanghai Lounge

Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Help: NZ*G for Cathay Shanghai Lounge

Hi Flyers,

I read on AirNZ website that with alliance with Cathay,
if you are gold/elite, you are allowed to use the Cathay lounge in Beijing/Shanghai if you transfer to/from Hong Kong with Cathay.

I am NZ*G and I am trying to book an Auckland - Shanghai (AirNZ) - Hong Kong (Cathay). Has anyone done a similar journey before and managed to get into the Cathay lounge Shanghai?

I have attached the screenshot from AirNZ website.

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I wouldn't see there being any issues. The Cathay alliance and lounge access has never really been an issue unlike some others like SQ.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I had no issues 11 years ago, although the routing was AKL-HKG-PEK rtn.

Per [MENTION=656651]sbiddle[/MENTION]s assessment, I dont see why OPs routing AKL-PVG-HKG would cause any issue.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:41 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
The agreement between NZ and CX is for AKL-HKG vv. with an extention to/from PEK and PVG. So by definition, AKL-PVG-HKG is not covered but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
The agreement between NZ and CX is for AKL-HKG vv. with an extention to/from PEK and PVG. So by definition, AKL-PVG-HKG is not covered but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
Why would/could the PVG-HKG sector from an AKL-PVG-HKF-AKL journey be treated any differently to the PVG-HKG sector on an AKL-HKG-PVG-HKG-AKL journey? I'm assuming they have codeshare flights on the route and you'd be booked on this? Or do they only allow access to the codeshare booked as a r/t?

I've flown the Air China codeshare from HKG-PEK when that existed a few years ago.
​​​​
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:05 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why would/could the PVG-HKG sector from an AKL-PVG-HKF-AKL journey be treated any differently to the PVG-HKG sector on an AKL-HKG-PVG-HKG-AKL journey? I'm assuming they have codeshare flights on the route and you'd be booked on this? Or do they only allow access to the codeshare booked as a r/t?
​​​​
Because in an AKL-PVG-HKG-AKL journey, you will be visiting HKG rather than connecting. If you stop at PVG first then do a PVG-HKG-AKL where HKG is a transit point then it will be covered by the agreement. That said, I doubt the lounge staff can tell the difference.

Chinese regulations do not allow codeshare on HKG-Mainland sectors by foreign carriers so it will be a CX flight number whichever way you book.
sbiddle likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.