Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Potential SP Earn Anomaly in Calculator ?

Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite

I recently booked a return trip AKL- LAX but had to change the inbound from ATL via IAH instead.
Called and requested the change and also enquired about the fare class for the IAH - AKL that it would book into and was advised it would be in O class.
Thinking it would earn a better SP earn than the LAX - AKL O class I was previously booked in, I went ahead with the change given it was only a minimal fare difference.
When I then checked the booking the potential SP earn is only 170 SP for the entire journey from ATL - AKL but I thought this would earn more.
According to the SP calculator only 150 SP for O class IAH - AKL which is < SP earn for LAX - AKL in the same class.
I checked & compared a few other fare classes and the 'anomaly' appears to be with E, O and U classes:

LAX - AKL

A:127
E:193
O:169
U:223

IAH - AKL

A:149
E:169
O:150
U:194

I have a feeling this was discussed in another thread recently for domestic or TT flights.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:06 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Yes, it has been long discussed that the earn rates were pulled out of their butts. The structure of the programme means that it's neither based on distance nor spend. There are just too many variables with each fare class and routes and is impossible to manage.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Yeah, that was my post talking about TT earn, where there are some stark inconsistencies in SP earn vs fare class, resulting in paying less but earning more SPs (and vv). Response was “thanks, yeah we know about those…..”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.