Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Earning APD/SP When Flying On A Partner Airline

Earning APD/SP When Flying On A Partner Airline

Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Programs: Airpoints Elite
Posts: 129
Earning APD/SP When Flying On A Partner Airline

Have some dates lined up for a trip to UK in July to see family. Normally I just book through Air NZ portal (i.e. ticketed on Air NZ) even if the flight is through a different airline e.g. Singapore airlines.

I am normally an economy flyer. However, I've seen through Singapore Airlines they have some reasonably sharp business class pricing ($10k roundtrip vs $4.5k economy when factoring in picking better seats, which I consider to be worth the extra).

Although it's obviously a lot of extra cash and I feel a bit ashamed even considering it, some rudimentary "man maths" factoring in the fact I'll still be able to get some work done on the plane and it's my busy time of the year, not bother with a layover stay each way, and not waste any of my short one week trip or need to take a day off running my business to recover when I get back means I could probably justify it and in some respects it's a "better deal". The same offer isn't available if I look to book on Singapore Airlines through the Air NZ site.

I don't have a Krisflyer membership and would rather earn Status Points (APD is a secondary consideration) ... if I put in my Airpoints details when booking does this mean I would earn SP and APD despite booking directly with Singapore Airlines? And is there anyway to calculate what you would get in advance?
samjaynz is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Programs: NZ Elite
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by samjaynz
if I put in my Airpoints details when booking does this mean I would earn SP and APD despite booking directly with Singapore Airlines? And is there anyway to calculate what you would get in advance?
Yes you would.
Link to SP Calculator: https://www.airnzpoints.co.nz/ & enter the details in Partner Airlines Tab for each segment - AKL - SIN and then SIN- LHR
gambda is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:38 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Programs: Airpoints Elite
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by gambda
Yes you would.
Link to SP Calculator: https://www.airnzpoints.co.nz/ & enter the details in Partner Airlines Tab for each segment - AKL - SIN and then SIN- LHR
Legend, thank you. I'll try that out. I'm going Chch to London, and the Singapore route is the easiest by far as well (as you go direct from Chch, no mucking around in Auckland)
samjaynz is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:38 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,709
Originally Posted by samjaynz
Have some dates lined up for a trip to UK in July to see family. Normally I just book through Air NZ portal (i.e. ticketed on Air NZ) even if the flight is through a different airline e.g. Singapore airlines.

I am normally an economy flyer. However, I've seen through Singapore Airlines they have some reasonably sharp business class pricing ($10k roundtrip vs $4.5k economy when factoring in picking better seats, which I consider to be worth the extra).

Although it's obviously a lot of extra cash and I feel a bit ashamed even considering it, some rudimentary "man maths" factoring in the fact I'll still be able to get some work done on the plane and it's my busy time of the year, not bother with a layover stay each way, and not waste any of my short one week trip or need to take a day off running my business to recover when I get back means I could probably justify it and in some respects it's a "better deal". The same offer isn't available if I look to book on Singapore Airlines through the Air NZ site.

I don't have a Krisflyer membership and would rather earn Status Points (APD is a secondary consideration) ... if I put in my Airpoints details when booking does this mean I would earn SP and APD despite booking directly with Singapore Airlines? And is there anyway to calculate what you would get in advance?
Yep would earn at partner rate as per the AP Calculator site.

And if gold get lounge.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Posts: 3,648
Believe SQ now requires you to put in your KrisFlyer number first with your NZ number pre-registered in your KrisFlyer profile which will allow you to use your KrisFlyer benefits (such as free Wifi in Economy and PPS value accrual) while crediting the points to NZ. So this may be the extra step that you need to do if you opt for online check in. If you simply check in at the counter and present your card, this process is not needed.
Xiaotung is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:15 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Posts: 10,340
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Believe SQ now requires you to put in your KrisFlyer number first with your NZ number pre-registered in your KrisFlyer profile which will allow you to use your KrisFlyer benefits (such as free Wifi in Economy and PPS value accrual) while crediting the points to NZ. So this may be the extra step that you need to do if you opt for online check in. If you simply check in at the counter and present your card, this process is not needed.
If so, then this would mean:

NZ ff# into FQTV (for miles accumulation)
SQ ff# into FQTS (for status recognition)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 6, 2024 at 8:57 pm
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Posts: 3,648
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
If so, then this would mean:

NZ ff# into FQTV (for miles accumulation)
SQ ff# into FQTS (for status recontion)
Not quite because your NZ status would also be printed on boarding passes. It will show like this "KFLY NZ*G."
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Xiaotung is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.